Search

Best beach in Brazil?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Don Juan

Best beach in Brazil?

We are going to Brazil in September starting with 6 nights in Rio then off to Iguacu falls and the Amazon. After that we want to relax for a week at a really nice beach resort with white sand and warm water, however with some nightlife and restaurants nearby. WHERE is the BEST place to go??

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:17 AM
dick

THere are many "best" beaches. My favorite is Ponta Negra in Natal. The visual praia hotel is right on the beach - not a "resort" but very nice and friendly. PN has night life during the weekends and Natal is only a few minutes away. Food is unbelievable - lobster skewers on the beach for &lt;$1 usd. Here is the top from GuiaQuatroRodas 2002 (www.guia4rodas.com.br):<BR><BR>1. Baia do Sancho (PE)<BR>2. da Baia dos Porcos (PE)<BR>3. do Leao (PE)<BR>4/5. Espelho e Coruipe (BA)<BR>6. Taipus de Fora (BA)<BR>7. Jericoacoara (CE)<BR>8. Carro Quebrado (AL)<BR>9. do Cedro (SP)<BR>10. Tambaba (nudist) (PB)<BR><BR>Personally, I think the coast between Maceio and Natal is fantastic. I'll be renting a car and driving. Avis has some very good rates at &lt;$100/week. I'd suggest some exploring.<BR><BR>Other options:<BR><BR>Pipa (RN)<BR>Porto de Galinhas/Marigogi (PB)<BR>Gunga (AL)<BR>Praia do Forte (BA)

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Don Juan

Hi Dan!<BR><BR>Thanks alot for your information, very helpful! We will probably be staying around Natal for 7 or 8 nights and rent a car to explore the area. Is it safe to drive around there? Thanks again!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:45 AM
dick

I found driving to be very safe - a bit aggressive, but safe.<BR><BR>I don't care to stay in Natal but rather out at Ponta Negra. I also find the beaches to be better to the south.<BR><BR>I'll be in Brasil Sept 25-Oct 9. Probably up in Natal the first weekend of Oct.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:43 AM
snarla

I was in Brazil a couple of years ago on extended business and took a trip to Natal..and actually stayed at the Visual Praia hotel. I would venture to say it's the best in the area. And how do I know this?? well..we booked a package to Natal through a tour operator that promised "3 Star Hotel" in Ponta Negra. We were at that place(can't even remember the name) for about an hour, checked out, and told the cab driver to take us to the best hotel.<BR><BR>I certainly not a tropical area..lots of dunes, but it is a nice walking beach. I don't have my guide book on me but I noted a restaurant that we walked to in Ponta Negra for dinner that was great. Brazil has great Italian food!<BR><BR>Have fun!!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Don Juan

Thanks again Dick,<BR><BR>Will probably follow your advice, but what about Maceio isnt it nice to stay there - seems like a bigger place? And it is probably not that far to drive from there to Ponta Negra?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:48 AM
snarla

I forgot to add: You're going to LOVE Iguazu Falls! Be sure and take the jungle tour/zodiac river tour that you can arrange right at the hotel desk. We stayed at the Hotel Das Cataratas and really enjoyed it..they have a great breakfast buffet, bar, and swimming pool.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:24 AM
dick

I usually fly into Natal and out of Maceio. VASP OW fares NAT-MCZ~$80 usd. Both are favorite cities/areas. I was unable to make connections to NAT so I'm in and out of MCZ this time. My guess is for 9 hours between the two cities. I'll probably stop at Porto de Galinhas, Jacuma and Pipa along the way.<BR><BR>If you stay in Maceio, the Maceio Melia has some good rates at $45 usd. Lots of nice beaches to the north and south and lots of night life. Safe and friendly.<BR><BR>Feel free to email if you'd like more information. Put something like Natal or Maceio in the subjsect line.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:38 AM
jill

<BR>Another suggestion would be to end your trip back in Rio (since you will probably be flying back to the States from Rio), and drive out to Buzios (about 2 and half hours from Rio by car). Wonderful pristine beaches, some of the best restaurants that both Rio or Sao Paulo have to offer (they opened restaurants in Buzios too), nice nightlife and quaint fishing village atmosphere with a sophisticated touch. This is the place that Bridget Bardot made famous in the sixties when she lived in Brazil with her Brazilian boyfriend.<BR>There are many hotel and pousada options in Buzios. My 2 favorites are Casas Brancas and Collona Park.<BR>I know a very good private guide in Rio if you need a good contact there.<BR>Jill