Any info on Rio Atlantica and surrounding area?

Jan 6th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Nicole

Any info on Rio Atlantica and surrounding area?

Hey Rio experts! We're going to Rio in March and staying at the Rio Atlantica in Copa. I've heard some fairly negative things about the Copa area in general, but was also told that it is OK in certain sections. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the area that the hotel is located. Also, I'm trying to get some advice about restaurants and clubs. I've been told to concentrate on the Ipanema and Leblon areas for most of that but am looking for specific recommendations for a good place for steak and beef, another for seafood and a third for a great location/experience with good food. Doesn't have to be expensive but has a fiance who will pay $100US per person if it's outstanding food. Are there any local little restaurants you would recommend as well in those areas? The nightclub recommendations we are looking for are places that have a good bar, techno/dance music and not a lot of the "shady night people" types, if you know what I mean. We are in our late-20s.

Also, is it possible to take a frescao bus to the outlying beaches from Copa to Sao Conrado for instance? Approximate cost? Any other beach areas worth the trip?

The last question I have regards the islands in the bay. Is it worth it to take a day trip to any of those islands? I've heard the views from some of them are great.

Thanks so much for any/all advice. We are both getting really excited to visit but most if not all the planning is usually left up to me. I would love to show my fiance his first international experience can be fabulous!! Thanks!

Jan 6th, 2002, 10:45 AM
xxx

Test

Jan 6th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Surlok

Nicole,

Copa was once the best beach in Rio. No longer. It has been invaded by hordes of commuters,hookers, and transvestites, besides it's very, very crowded. The block between Av.Copacabana and Barata Ribeiro, and Sta Clara and Figueiredo Magalhaes is called the "Death block" because of the level of pollution, air and also sound wise. However, it's not beach
front, but two blocks from the beach.

Hookers, transvestites and pick pocketers usually concentrate around Help. the disco club,Galeria Alaska and also in the area between the Hotel Meridien and Copacabana Palace.However, nowadays, they can be found all over Av Atlantica after 8, 9 PM.

Nevertheless, Copacabana is still the most beautiful beach, despite the enlargement of thesea shore.

Rio Atlantica Hotel is right in the middle of Copacabana beach, and a very nice hotel. It's beautifully done, although the decor is very informal, (no carpeting, but tiles instead), very pretty, and the breakfast is plenty, although not the best I've had so far. I was there with friends that stayed at the hotel a year ago. Since I'm a carioca, meaning I was born, raised and still livein Rio, I haven't stayed at the hotel.

To be cont.

Jan 6th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Surlok

cont.

The restaurants I recommend you to try are Marius, in Leme, for meat. It's a rodizio, meaning that you eat as much as you want for a fixed price. The meat they serve isdelicious, and the setting is beautiful, since it's beach front. Try picanha, it's my favorite red meat, and also friend manioc and "pao de queijo", (cheese bread), a brazilian specialty, besides " pasteis de catupiry", a kind of salted pastry, if there's such a thing. My favoriterodizio is Porcao, but it's in Ipanema and not beach front.

For fish, there's a place in Leme called Shirley, but they serve mostly Spanish food. Also, there's Siri Mole, in Copacabana, serving Brazilian food, mostly made with shrimps and dende oil. Beware of the Brazilian malagueta pepper, is very strong. Also, try a feijoada, it's made with black beans, and pork--ears, tail, and feet, among other things. It's very good and not at all disgusting as it sounds.You can have it at Monte Carlo restaurant, close to Copacabana Palace, or in Ipanema, at the Caesar Park hotel restaurant on Saturdays. I also like Mistura Fina, at lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, for a Brazilian food with a somehow international flavor.

In Copacabana beach, there's Da Brambini, a nice italian restaurant, and close to Marius in Leme, you'll find the Fiorentina, serving pasta and sea food. At the boarder of Copacabana and Ipanema, at Gomes Carneiro street, there's Grottamare, for seafood, but the best restaurant serving fish and sea food is the Satyricon, at general Osorio square, where there's a market on Sundays, the Hippie fair.

to be cont.

Jan 6th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Surlok

cont.

The frescao ticket costs less than 2 dollars, and it runs from Leme, in Copacabana, to Sao Conrado and Barra. However, since Av. Niemeyer only opens to the traffic from the South Zone to Barra after 10 AM, you'll have to wait, or go to Barra or Sao Conrado via Lagoa-Barra and the tunnel instead.

The cleanest ( although not the prettiest) beach is Barra da Tijuca, and some other even further, like Prainha and Grumari that are clean and well preserved as a natural environment. If you do that, there are excellent and cheap restaurants in Barra de Guaratiba, like Barreado and Tia Palmira but I'd rather go there by car. By bus, it would be a little complicated to get to Barra de Guaratiba or Prainha or Grumari by bus. You could hire a taxi for the whole day if you're meaning to do this. It will be likely a forty mins. or
more journey both ways.

For additional info and restaurant addresses, have a look at:

http://www.ipanema.com

and

http://www.brazil.org.uk/page.php?ty...1&bid=6&cat=16

Enjoy Rio, the Marvelous City, as it deserves to be enjoyed. It's, and I mean it, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Regards,

Surlok

Jan 6th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Ana Cecilia

Dear Nicole,

Though Copacabana is no longer the best place in Rio, it is still
an interesting place, specially the Art deco blocks.
As to the night life, there is at Copacabana:
Bunker 94 (Disco): there is a different music style for each
day. If you want to rest a bit, there is also a lounge with a
bed! It's a very interesting place at Raul Pompeia street, near
to the corner of Francis Sa street.

At Leblon, I would recommend Bardot, a very nice bar with a
beautiful counter made of mosaic, very trendy (Dias Ferreira
street), and also Melt and Seu Martin (at General San Martin),
both at the end of Leblon.

On Leblon beach, at the Hotel Marina All suites (Avenida
Delfim Moreira - on the corner of Bartolomeu Mitre) there is
a very interesting bar called Bar d' hotel, also very trendy.

cont.

Jan 6th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Ana Cecilia

cont.

If you interested in historic buildings and listening to samba, I
would recommend a visit to Lapa. There is a list of
interesting bars such as "Carioca da Gema" and "Semente".
Besides, there's the acquadut there, and the neighborhood has
been revitalized in the last ten years.

Santa Teresa is also a must. It's a neighborhood on the slopes
of the mountain. It can be seen on the way to Corcovado. You
can also take the cable car at downtown to go to Santa
Teresa. There is a restaurant that serves Brazilian
northeastern food called Bar do Arnaudo or even Aprazivel,
which is more expensive, but still quite affordable. The view
is amazing.

For additional information on bars and restaurants ("noite" for bars and night clubs, and "gastronomia" for restaurants) and their addresses, I recommend you to check the site:

http://www.guiarj.com.br

If you want a fine dining experience, in a very romantic
setting, go to Cipriani, at Copacabana Palace Hotel. They also
serve a feijoada there on Saturdays.

I've also heard that the view from the Cagarras Islands is
outstanding. Ask to your hotel concierge to recommend you a
tour company to take you there. It's also an excellent spot for
snorkeling and skin diving.

There's an excellent Rio guide called " Guia Amoroso do Rio".,
by J. Inacio Parente, of which there's an English version. Read
more about it at:

http://www.maria-brazil.org/books2.htm

I hope you enjoy Rio, and, please, go to downtown to check the
most genuine and sophisticated manifestation of the Brazilian
and Carioca culture, architecture, and history. I promise you
won't regret.

Best regards,

Ana Cecilia

Jan 7th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Topper

TTT for Nicole.

Jan 8th, 2002, 05:16 AM
jill

Hi Nicole!

I have stayed at the Rio Atlantica, and although the view of Copacabana Beach is very beautiful, I would still recommend staying on Ipanema or Leblon Beaches. It is much safer for a first time visitor.
For restaurants, I recommend Mariu's Churrascaria in Leme as well. It is a "rodizio" style "all you can eat" bar-b-que. Many types of grilled meats will be brought non stop to your table until you beg them to stop.
For seafood and a nice atmosphere try Mediteraneo in Ipanema. The restaurant has their own fishing boats and you can see them bringing in the fish in large baskets. They also have excellent home made pasta. Try to sit upstairs overlooking the corner of Rua Paul Redfern and Prudente de Morais. It is a very pretty corner of Ipanema.
I highly recommend Antiquarius in Leblon for "Portuguese" food. It is very high end, but will not cost more than $100.00 US. The dollar is quite strong, and will go a long way.
If you need any other specific information please feel free to e-mail me. I was a tour director in Rio for 6 years.
Jill

Jan 13th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Nicole

Thank all of you so much for all the great advice!!! We are leaving in about two months and I personally cannot wait to get my first glimpse of Rio. I am going to print out this thread right before we leave and take it with us for reference! Thank You!!

Jan 13th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Jody

I am a travel agent off to Rio in 8 days. I will be staying at the Sofitel Palace or the Rio Atlantica. Upon my return I will email you a report with recommendations.

Jan 15th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Don

Hi Nicole, I have responed to you on other posts on this board, like I said before I have been going to Rio since 1980 and everything everybody has said on these posts is all true and all good information. I like to eat too so I'll tell you some of my favorite places to eat: Quadrafoglia in Jardim Botanico, great Italian place, not cheap. Margutta in Ipanema, Italian/Fish. Pax Delicia in Ipanema, brazilian food, nice young and lively. Don Camilio in Copacabana on Ave Atlantico, Italian inside they have singing strolling musicians to play your song, great Italian food. Monte Carlo in Copacabana, good Italian food. Mistura Fina Logao, brazilian food with good bar and live music plus good brazilian music show upstairs. Peoples in Leblon, great bar no food, very nice crowd. Ok my fingers are getting tired from typing now these are all upscale places that are all very good, this should keep you busy. I will also be in Rio starting on March 1,st. Boa Viaje

Jan 15th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Nicole

Thanks again. I know I posted on other threads but when I search for them...my computer likes to crash. I'd appreciate any trip report Jody! I have a feeling that I will be eating well when we got there and I love Brazilian cheese bread Surlok! A restaurant in Miami used to make it. Yum!

Jan 27th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Surlok

Topping for Roula.

BTW, Ana Cecilia is my daughter.

Regards,

Surlok

Aug 6th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Surlok

Yet another one for Herb, and other Rio's first time visitors.

Regards,

S

Aug 8th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Suzanne

Hi! I have stayed at the Rio Atlantica and highly recommend it. Excellent location, greatpool at the top of the hotel with aview of the beach. Don;t hesitate. Don't forget to see a soccer match while you are there (can get there by bus) and try the Meridien's restaurant at night which is at the top of the hotel and you get a great view of the City.

Aug 13th, 2002, 06:26 AM
me

Ok, now I'm scared!

I'm going to Rio this year and I have never been before. We're staying in a hotel on Copacabana beach.

I've just read that one of you has mentioned that "I would still recommend staying on Ipanema or Leblon Beaches. It is much safer for a first time visitor." Does that mean Copacabana is very unsafe?? I know about the hookers etc but something like this is really going to put me off going. I think it would be too late to find accomodation elsewhere, nor do I think we could afford to go to Ipanema. Can anyone reassure me that Copacabana is a safe place to go to, even if you're a first time visitor?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 14th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Jill

Hi, No. I don't think it is too late to find affordable accommodations in Ipanema. Please feel free to e-mail me and I would be glad to assist you.
I don't think that anyone would tell you that Copacabana is particularly "safe". You need to be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. It is quite crowded on the streets of Copacabana-so it is easier to feel "safer" in Ipanema where there are less people on the streets and a calmer atmosphere. Copacabana is quite frenetic to say the least. If you stick with your accommodations in Copa, please leave valuables in the hotel safe, dress as the Brazilians dress, don't wear jewelry.
Don't let the precautions scare you away from Rio. Rio is fantastic -- just have to be aware of certain things - as in any large city in the world today.

Aug 18th, 2002, 04:47 AM
bobby

You should check out the new hotel Orla. This is very nice and price right. Check out www.blameitonrio4travel.com

What type of clubs and resturants. Email me and I will advise you more directly. There are great clubs and resturants all over Rio.

The atlantica is a nice hotel located in the middle of copabana.

Aug 19th, 2002, 05:53 PM
CariocaRio

Don't change your plans because people on this board recommend Ipanema over Copacabana, that is just their opinion. You have to be aware all over Rio equally. And if rich tourist's stay in Ipanema then where do you think the bandito's will be?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO