Belize vs South Pacific (Fiji, Tahiti)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning honeymoon in July 2009 and want to stay in a luxurious, secluded, romantic resort. Prefer to have a room with a private plunge pool or outside jacuzzi, great white sand beach, good snorkeling, service and food. Hopefully not a bunch of families with small kids. Don't really want to pay more than $1000 per night. How would Belize compare to the South Pacific. Does Belize resorts offer same type of atmosphere? How would you compare resorts, service, beaches, water, snorkeling and things to see and do? Please make some recommendations.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM

www.aprivateisland.com and www.turtleinn.com Two different destinations. Belize is the size of Massachusetts, has Mayan sites, cave with cereominal artifacts, rainforest, waterfalls, rivers, zip lines, the largest barrier reef in the hemisphere for fabulous snorkeling, diving and fishing.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM

I love Belize, but suspect it isn't going to have the kind of beaches that it sounds like you want.

If you can manage it, I'd head for the South Pacific. Save Belize for when you want more of an 'adventure' vacation.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Actually, I didn't find the beaches in French Polynesia to be all that great compared to many Caribbean islands (I haven't been to Fiji). Most of them seemed to be crushed coral beaches (at least in the Society Islands, I haven't been to the other island groups) which were a bit difficult to walk on with bare feet. Bora Bora did have some soft sand beaches. Snorkeling was better in Belize IMO. There are however many more luxury options in FP.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM

I spent a couple of weeks in the Cook Islands a few years back and really enjoyed it although I'm not sure they have resorts you would consider luxurious. Very laid back, relaxing time where you need to kind of make your own fun. Lots of water activities, including diving, to choose from. Beaches didn't have that fine, silky sand but they are fun to explore and many would be considered secluded. From talking with other travelers, I think Fiji is a bit like Cook Islands in that it is laid back and mellow with lots of water activities but not a ton more. I suspect Tahiti has numerous upscale resorts although don't expect your days trips to compare with what you could experience in Belize.

Belize, in general, wouldn't be considered luxurious although there certainly are some VERY nice resorts to choose from. Beaches are pretty but won't be on the top of the "best beaches" lists anytime soon. Some areas have a considerable amount of sea grass making snorkeling a bit of a challenge although boat trips are widely available and often provide a fun lunch on one of the small islands, etc. Tons of things to explore/do in Belize.

"Service" may be limited and/or not quite what you are looking for in Belize and Fiji. From what I experienced, workers don't tend to be in a big hurry and may not know what pampering the guest is all about. On the up side, most everyone is happy, helpful and pleased to have you there. I enjoyed the food, especially the fresh fish/seafood and all the wonderful fruit, although some people would be disappointed. Depends on what you are up for. Let's face it, your meals will tend to be simple and nothing like back home but for us that was all part of the fun.

Once you narrow your choices down, you may want to research what kind of weather to expect in July. Although the rain is often considered warm, it can come down pretty heavy with plenty of wind behind it. The guidebooks will usually tell you the truth about what kind of weather to expect - some websites may not.

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

All good info. Thanks.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM

www.robertsgrove.com

might have a private island to suit...

Belize for me

secluded closer

better beaches diving

less boring elitist tourists

more adventure Cave tubing

www.cavesbranch.com

than Pacific islands.

for me Poi sucks too...

do like Kava though...
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Might also consider 4 seasons Bora Bora or Papagayo CR properties both
super luxurious...

Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora - A Luxury Hotel in Bora Bora ...
(Bora Bora) Four Seasons is the world's leading operator of luxury hotels and resorts. Visit our site to plan your vacation, wedding, or meeting to Bora ...
www.fourseasons.com/borabora/ - 19k
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM
TC

Katy has giving you two amazing locations. I wasn't all that impressed with the resorts in Tahitian islands. We lived on-board a sailboat there and traveled from island to island (which <u>was</u> amazing), but the resorts we saw were extremely overpriced. Fiji would be a better choice, if South Pacific is your destination.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I'm going to disagree with many above and say that you would be better in French Polynesia. It is the dry season there in July, not so in Belize. Although there are not large expanses of beach, the water and snorkeling makes up for it in FP.

We stayed in overwater bungalows on Moorea and Bora Bora. The Sheraton Moorea was nice enough, although there were a few small children and the resort a bit more crowded. The Bora Bora Nui was fabulous, mostly couples (many honeymooners) and spread out so you had lots of privacy. Although the beach was man-made, it was lovely and very spacious. We had an overwater horizon view bungalow (which was about 1000 sq. ft.) at less than $800 per night including tax/service (Starwood rate). Because there are a couple of new top end resorts providing competition (4S and St. Regis), I would bet you could get a good deal there. That said, the snorkeling was better at Moorea.

Have a great time.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:30 AM

We haven't been to either, so I'm no help there. I would only mention, as traveler318 alluded to, July is hurricane season for Belize. Having said that, that certainly hasn't stopped us from visiting the Caribbean during the summer. But in case that makes any difference to you...
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM

If your budget is $1000 per night, you would be better off spending your honeymoon in Bora Bora. It's more romantic, more secluded, has less kids (I didn't see one child under the age of 18 while my wife and I were there), and the overwater bungalows at some resorts are second to none. You can easily do an OWB at a 5-star resort (e.g., St. Regis, Four Seasons, Intercontinental) for $750 per night. Most resorts also run a 5th-night-free discount. On top of it, if you're into diving, French Polynesia has some of the best diving in the world.

You cannot go wrong with Bora Bora for a honeymoon.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Wow. You must already own a house, expensive car, etc.? That's a LOT of money):
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 08:59 PM

Have been to French Polynesia, the Cook Islands and Fiji, as well as Belize (many years ago), all in July or August. Belize is a great adventure destination, but as others have said, the beaches are not ideal. Besides, July is a bad time to go to Belize because of increased humidity and sand flies - the South Pacific wins hands down for exotic, romantic seclusion.

Take a look at this chain
www.pearlresorts.com

Or check out the Aitutaki lagoon resort - not be as upmarket as some of the others, but the beach, snorkeling, culture and island vibe was heaven on earth.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 01:42 AM

I've been to many beach destinations and I always thought the beaches on St John in the US Virgin Islands were gorgeous and hard to beat.
Look at private villas on

www.caribbeanvilla.com

I'm sure you'll find the kind of beach your looking for and a villa to suit your tastes.
Have fun whatever you decide.