Belize Transportation

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize Transportation

Hi All,

we have decided to go to Belize for my 40th. We are hoping to go from May 2-12th and spend a few nights in the jungle (Chaa Creek or similar accomodations) and a few nights at the beach. we found some places on Caye Caulker that look nice. How do people get between the two locations usually - are there taxi's/buses etc? Does anyone know if the tranport piece is very expensive?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Here's a terrific site for your viewing pleasure:
www.belizebus.wordpress.com

I prefer buses - recycled US school buses, cheap and an interesting cultural experience. Private shuttles are available but spendy; you can ask at your lodge - they can arrange shuttles - or try a private provider like the highly recommended William Hofman:
http://www.parrot-nest.com/belize-shuttle.html

Happy birthday and happy planning!!
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 02:59 PM

We had the lodge drive us to the airport, and then we took Tropic Air over to the island. There's also a ferry system for people who don't like to fly, but the flights are quick. We went to Ambergris, and it only took about 15 minutes.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 05:33 AM

I have not booked my transportation yet but I plan on using a combo of shuttles and flying. Looks like we'll be at Chaa Creek at the same time, I'll be there from May3-11.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 06:23 AM

If you are already on the mainland and not at BZE, taking a cab to ferry over to CC is how the locals do it and it takes under an hour. I fly to Caye Caulker on Tropic Air, they give a small cash discount, $117 r/t IIRC.

Once at CC airport, getting anywhere on the island by cab (i.e. golf carts) costs $5.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 06:56 AM

If your budget allows it, arrange to picked up at the airport by one of the transfer services -- William's Belize Shuttle is recommended. The cheaper option is to get a taxi to the airport and then a bus.

Arrange a transfer service (or get a bus) to get back to Belize City (taxi from the bus teminal to the water taxi terminal), and get a water taxi to CC.

There are 2 water taxi terminals and boats depart about every hour during daylight hours.

You should be able to spend your last night on CC and the next day have time to get to the airport in time for your flight.

There are 2 airlines in Belize if you want to fly.

All the links & schedules are on that excellent Belize Bus & Travel Guide...
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 07:35 AM

There are also two airports - the international one and a municipal one. We used both, depending on which one was cheaper.