Logistics for trip to Belize

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the early planning days for a 2-weeks trip to Belize next February. I’ve been thinking of this trip for a while now, and we pretty much know what we want to do, but I would like your general input, before going forward. I haven’t looked into logistics and how to get from point A to point B, so that’s where I would like to hear your thoughts, too.

We are a couple in our 40s, trying to mix my love of photography, nature and jungle life in general with our love of snorkeling. So here is the general plan:

Day 1 – arrive in Belize, and transfer to Lamanai Outpost Lodge. We picked this one over Chaa Creek and Chan Chich because it has the river view and seems to offer a higher variety of activities, especially for DH who is not into birds that much. Stay there for 4 nights.

Day 5 – Transfer to Tikal. How? Stay there 2 nights

Day 7 – Transfer to Ambergris Cay. Again, how? Stay there (Victoria House) 4 nights.

Day 11 – Transfer to Pelican Beach on South Water Caye (not sure yet how) and stay there 5nights.

Day 16 – Transfer to Belize City and fly back home. Again, need to figure out how, and even if this is possible.

Please share your thoughts and experiences – did you use a local company (that you would use again and recommend) for transfers? How did you handle them?

Thanks a lot
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 12:41 PM

We used Pacz Tours to get to Tikal. We flew on Tropic Air to get to Ambergris. We booked transfers through our hotels.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

VG,

Do you think ordering our destinations differently would make more sense?

I tend to believe that ending with the beach is more relaxing, but I can reconsider if flights and transfers would be easier (cheaper) otherwise.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 01:19 PM

We only stayed at two locations so our arrangements weren't as complicated as yours. We ended at the beach as well. For us it just made sense to do all the exploring, hiking, etc. first and then relax at the end. We used two different airports - the international one and also the municipal one. They had different price structures. We had our hotels book our arrangements for us because I had a hard time configuring it all as well. One heads up - Victoria House promised to pick us up at the airport and never came. We loved the hotel but that was a weird situation; we waited and waited, and a very aggressive taxi driver finally just picked up our luggage and tossed it in his van and told us to get in. The van didn't say taxi or anything on it, so we didn't know if we could trust him. Hopefully that won't happen to you. Turned out fine, but was a stressful welcome to the island.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 02:18 PM

I would switch Ambergris and South Water so you're closer to the airport and can spend your last night on the island instead of in Belize City. Unless your flight is atypically late in the day it would be a stretch and in any event riskier to leave from South Water the same day.

We like the public buses - cheap and culturally fascinating - but hire private drivers at times when the schedules of the buses don't work for us. Just minutes ago a Belize transportation expert posted the info below on a separate forum; his website is amazing:
www.belizebus.wordpress.com

I can recommend William Hoffma add this private driver to his list:
Raul Marchand <[email protected]>

Happy trails!

a) Belize VIP Transfer Service, http://www.belizetransfers.com

b) George & Esther Moralez Travel Service,
http://www.gettransfers.com

c) Gibson’s Tours and Transfers,
http://www.gibsonstoursandtransfers.com/index.html

d) William’s Belize Shuttle, www.parrot-nest.com/belize_shuttle.html

e) Belize Shuttles and Transfers,
http://www.belizeshuttlesandtransfers.com/

f) Discounted Belize Shuttles and Tours,
http://discountedbelizeshuttlesandtours.com/index.html

Of these, d) William's gets many positive comments, and I have read a few negative comments about e) Belize Shuttles and Transfers. I've seen some of the vehicles used by the first two on the list -- in excellent condition -- and their drivers appear professional.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl,
When you say you used the international and the municipal airports…it means that Belize City has 2 airports, the international one for international flights (does this include the ones from Flores?) and the municipal one for domestic flights – right?

How do you transfer from one to another? Shuttle? Taxi? How long does it take?

Hope we won’t have any problem with the transfers…so much will depend on them. Getting very excited about this trip.

hopefulist,
Great idea about switching Ambregris and South Water, makes a lot of sense, thanks. I don’t have 2013 flights info yet, but based on what I see for current flights it seems the departure will be around noon. I guess we can leave Ambergris in the morning and be at the airport by 10 am. Need to read about flight vs water taxi from Ambergris.

Thanks for all the bus and transfer companies info, I will definitely look into it. It helps to know who gets good reviews. As time is the most important factor, I think flying will be our preferred option, but we will definitely need a land transfer from Lamanai to Flores.

Thanks
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 07:58 AM

We flew in to the international airport, got picked up by our hotel for our time in the jungle; after jungle time they drove us to the municipal airport because it was cheaper for us to fly to Ambergris from there, then VH was supposed to pick us up, but instead we got a taxi. After island time, VH drove us via golf cart to the airport where we flew back to the international airport to fly back home. I remember thinking it was complicated to coordinate so we just asked the hotels what they would suggest, and it all worked out. The municipal airport is extremely small. I remember asking the driver if there was a place to eat lunch there, and he kind of chuckled.

When we got to the municipal airport they handed each of us a laminated card that said "BOARDING PASS" on it. Our flight wasn't schedule to leave for quite a while, but since everyone was there they just came out and announced that we were leaving and that they needed to collect everyone's boarding passes. It was kind of funny. There was someone at the exit door, and we all just marched by and handed them our little laminated cards. No security or anything. The flight between Ambergris and the mainland was quick, about 15 minutes.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM

You will love VH!!! We stayed there for my husband's 40th birthday surprise weekend. VH arranged our inter-flights on Tropics Air from Belize City to Ambergis Cay. VH also greeted us when we landed, riding on their golf cart to their resort. We truly had a lovely time there.

Volcanogirl, I know exactly what you mean about their airport as it happened to us too...we were amazed by that! We loved riding up in the front...aka "co-pilot"

Enjoy your time in Belize!
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 01:40 PM

I forgot to add that VH paid the taxi van guy. He didn't charge us anything. He said it happens all the time so I guess they have some kind of arrangement. The van was creepy though and definitely looked like he was trying to lure us to our demise.

Travel, yes, I get such a kick out of those airports! We went to one in Costa Rica that was just a gravel road by a cemetery, and there were kids riding their bikes on the runway! At another one they popped open the bottom of the plane and asked us to put our own luggage in, then they called our names off a list, and that was it.

We loved VH too - one of our very favorite hotels. Did not want to leave!
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Ha-ha, I remember (fondly) the air strip by the cemetery

That was an unfergetable vacation, and VG, it was following your advice, too.

Glad to hear about VH, because now it will be the last stop of our trip. The best for last...
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 04:50 PM

VG,
I assume you're talking about the airport in OSA. I laughed about it too...pretty convenient if anything should happen!
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 05:55 PM

You guys know exactly the one I'm talking about!
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 04:59 AM

The transfer time from BZE to the Municipal airstrip is 25-30 minutes, depending on traffic. The cab will cost US$25-30.00.

Yes, the flights to/from Flores will be out of BZE.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Jean,
Thanks a lot, this really helps. Planning now does not seem that complicated anymore.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM

Heads up-Lamaani overlooks an expansive 23 miles lagoon. Chaa Creek overlooks the Macal River.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Katie,
Thanks. The irony is, I always wanted to stay at Chaa Creek, but when adding everything up, it turns out to be so much more expensive than Lamanai...

And Lamanai has more diverse activites, which will be better for DH. Me...let me free with a camera in a place with lots of birds, and I'm happy

I suppose I'll find them on the Lamanai grounds.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM

xyz - I'm not sure I'll make it to Belize this year but I'm interested in hearing your final itinerary and how it works out for you. Like you, I've been leaning towards choosing Lamanai over Chaa Creek if I'm unable to take a trip long enough to include them both. Have fun planning!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM

My understanding is that if you want to fly between Lamanai and Tikal (Flores), you have to fly back to Belize City. I'm planning a trip now and think I've about ruled Tikal out in lieu of Caracol as a day trip from San Ignacio and a 2 night stay at Lamanai Outpost Lodge. Logistics just seemed too complicated for my original plans since I would have wanted 1-2 nights in Tikal if it was included.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

hipvirgo,
If nothing bad happens, we will go in Feb 2013, I’ve been thinking of this trip for too long. We will not have time for both (LOL and CC), because we want to have some beach/snorkel time, so I am pretty sure this will be our final itinerary. I think I’ll start booking when we come back from this year’s beach week (going to Bonaire in a few weeks).

Deb,
I think you are right about getting from Lamanai to Tikal. I think we will come back to Belize City using Lamanai’s bus/boat combo, then fly to Tikal. I haven’t looked into schedules yet, and I realize that is a big unknown for now, but hopefully everything will work out fine.
When are you going?
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:19 PM

We're planning for May 2012. Hubby finally got vacation time OK'd. I'll be posting my itinerary soon for people to poke holes in!