Search

Need info on Tropic Air

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:30 AM
PMJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need info on Tropic Air

Five of us are going to Belize for Christmas- we'll be in the jungle four days and then on to Ambergris Caye for 3 nights. I see that it is much cheaper to fly in and out of Municipal Airport. How far is it from Belize International? If we go over and back out of Muni and need to get to International to catch our four o'clock flight home, would that be a problem?

Anyone weighing in on pros and cons of water taxi versus air, I'd love to hear it. We don't have a lot of time, so seems like air would help. Also, please let me know if you have heard of any safety issues on either method of transport.
Thanks
J
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:59 AM

BZE is about 20-30 minutes by taxi from Municipal. Cost is US$25-30.00. But, most cabs won't be able to carry all five of you.

I'd go from mainland Belize to Muni, fly to Ambergris, then just fly back to BZE when it's time for you to fly home.

It's only been two of us (or sometimes just me) when we travel to BElize, so if we're heading straight to Ambergris, we just fly from BZE. However, since you're not heading straight to Ambergris, I'd fly from Muni.

I've only taken the water taxi to/from Belize City a couple of times. I found it crowded and uncomfortable. I'd probably take it again, but not if I was on a relatively short vacation.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 05:28 AM

We headed to Caye Caulker by ferry and then flew to BZE for our flight home, a good compromise. The ferry trip to Caulker is shorter than to Ambergris so maybe not a fair comparison, but we found it to be very pleasant and enjoyed talking with locals both waiting at the dock and on the boat.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM

You could check out Maya Regional, also:
http://www.mayaregional.com/

Both airlines have good safety records from what I've heard. The only scary thing I've read about the water taxis was a serious after dark accident a few years ago.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 08:20 AM

We flew out of the Muncipal airport to Ambergris - the flight is quick, only about 15 minutes. For us, it was just quicker and more convenient than the ferry, and flying out of the municipal airport was cheaper than from BZE. The Muncipal airport is really tiny - just basically a room with a counter and a couple of restrooms. We flew back in to BZE to fly back home.

I remember asking at our hotel if the municipal airport had a restaurant and gift shop, and the concierge kind of chuckled and said he would be surprised - lol.