Belize rainforest/waterfalls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying in Belize City and want to see natural wonders...ie. rainforests/waterfalls, etc. Also birds and plants. Which are must sees? Plan to do day trips. Which would be easy enough for my 75 year old mother to access???
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:29 AM

How agile is your 75 yr old mom? Let's see, rainforest and waterfalls. Okay, many waterfalls in the Mtn Pine Ridge (in the Cayo district), which is pine forest and not rainforest. This is where the 1000 Ft Falls is, the highest in Central America. You can drive up to the lookout easily enough. You'll find waterfalls in tropical forests in the Stann Creek and Toledo districts, but none that you can get close to without hiking in. That I can think of this second. A few you can view from afar-but none upclose and personal.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:03 PM

I guess the first question is WHY? Why are you staying in Belize City? While its reputation is worse than its reality, it's still not a very appealing place. Unless you have to be there on business or for some other pressing reason, you'll likely have a more pleasant visit if you stay outside Belize City -- say, in the San Ignacio area. You'll also be closer to the natural wonders of the country.

--Lan Sluder
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:47 PM
ltt

i too question why you'd stay in belize city. the sun sets pretty early and once it's dark, most people recommend that you don't go out.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:51 PM

i definitely would not stay in Belize City, unless you have to. For rainforests/waterfalls, etc., plants and birds, check out the Mopan River Resort. It is an "all inclusive" resort that provides everything for a great vacation. They are great, and every day they plan a different day adventure, in tropical surroundings.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the information....staying at raddisson, fort george because folks who made reservations wanted to be at a central location where everyone could do daytrips easily without using ferry everyday, etc.....no one going is a beach lover...more interested in ruins, nature, maybe a day of snorkeling or scuba...it will be an up early group not up for lots of night life, but days filled with exploration..anyone know about the dive shop at the raddisson?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:59 PM

Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection on the Radisson pier. Very good dive operator. If you are here this weekend, underwater film festival at the Biltmore Hotel to raise funds for the Hugh Parkey Underwater Foundation for Marine Awareness. Friday night at 7:30.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I've stayed at the Radisson Fort George a few times. Good hotel. Only trouble is when the cruise ships come in and dump all those daytrippers.

The ferry (actually water taxis) isn't a factor if you're staying farther inland near ruins, jungle, caves, nature trails and other sights, rather than one to three hours from them.

--Lan Sluder