Search

Belize -Places to Stay.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Deborah

Belize -Places to Stay.

Need recommendations on places to stay. One near the ruins and one on the beach.<BR>Thanks

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Lan Sluder

Having written several guidebooks to Belize, I could probably make some recommendations ... but it would help if you would post some idea of your budget. There are lodges and hotels in Belize from under US$20 to $1400 a day.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Deborah

Looking for the middle of the road prices. Nothing on the real cheap but nothing super expensive. We hope to stay at a place that can do a Tikal tour. As far as the cayes we are unable to scuba dive but can snorkel. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:10 AM
Lan Sluder

Among moderately priced jungle lodges, with prices generally under US$100 double, I would recommend duPlooy's (some of their units are moderate), the safari camp at Chaa Creek (US$100 a day for two including meals), Nabitunich, and Crystal Paradise. Slightly more expensive would be Lamanai Outpost and Banana Bank. You could get to Tikal from any of these lodges except Lamanai Outpost, which is not in Cayo. You don't need to go with the lodge's tour.<BR><BR>Most people doing a surf and turf choose San Pedro (Ambergris Caye) for the beach portion. There the nice moderate places include Banana Beach, Corona del Mar, Coconuts (just sold), Mayan Princess, The Tides, among others.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:03 PM
Deborah

Thank you for the advice. What island or caye would you recommend for snorkeling besides San Pedro?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:08 AM
jj

We stayed at Pelican Beach Resort at South Water Caye. Sorkelling right off the beach was very good. The caye is small and relaxing. PBR was rustic with nice people, and typical Belizean food. No hot water showers, but we didn't need them. Bring your own beer and snorkelling equip.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:02 AM
Lan Sluder

As another poster noted, Southwater Caye is a nice choice for snorkeling off the beach ... but it's very small, just a few acres with no stores or restaurants other than at the few lodges. Ditto Tobacco Caye, which also has shore snorkeling, but it's even smaller and the snorkeling isn't the greatest in the world.<BR><BR>Your only other major option besides Ambergris is Caye Caulker, sorta budget version of Ambergris.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Anita Khan-Mann

Try the Basil Jones - its fabulous. Tell Adam Chandler hello.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Lan Sluder

Anita,<BR><BR>Is that a joke? If so, I suspect it's not very funny to all those who lost money in this time share which never opened.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Lan Sluder

Now that I see your &quot;name&quot; I guess it is a joke.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder