Belize info-=-help!!!

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:35 PM
swybs

Belize info-=-help!!!

My financee and I are considering taking our 10-day honeymoon in Belize July 20, 2003, leaving from NJ or NY. We are on a relatively small budget (approx. $3000), but want to make that money provide for nice hotels, decent food. Any recommendations about what my itinerary should be would be greatly appreciated (we like beach for some days, day trips [horseback riding, booze cruises] for others). Can someone also give me common prices for everyday items (eg, beer, dinner)? You guys have always been great with assistance; I look forward to hearing from you. Please e-mail [email protected].

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without knowing your interests in more detail, it's hard to suggest an itinerary. But it sounds like you would be best suited by a traditional surf n' turn trip -- part of your visit on Ambergris Caye for beach, snorkel trips, etc. and part in Cayo for outdoor activities including horseback riding.

On a moderate budget, I'd suggest some of these accommodations:

Ambergris Caye: Belizean Shores, Banana Beach, Xanadu, Paradise Villas.

Cayo: Banana Bank (they have more than 50 horses and the best equestrian program in Belize) or possibly duPlooy's, the safari camp at Chaa Creek, Pook's Hill Lodge

It's hard to generalize about costs in Belize, because they vary a lot. On Ambergris Caye, for example, you can get good and safe street food for a buck, a meal of fish or stew chicken and rice and beans for US$4 to $8, or a fancy meal for US$40+. At most jungle lodges, meals are fairly expensive (US$18 to $25 for dinner) and you're pretty much locked in to the lodge.

Belikin beer is usually US$1.50 to $2.50 in restaurants. Local rum and other drinks are inexpensive, imported booze is expensive.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:35 PM
swybs

Dear Lan, and future question answerers...

I have convinced my girlfriend (fiancee) and we are def. going to visit Belize for our honeymoon. With that said, airfare seems relatively inexpensive (I have found roundtrip to Belize City for 380$ w/ taxes). Is Belize City the correct airport to fly into? If so, we have upped our budget--we know we want to stay for 10 nights or so; more importantly, we want to stay in nice places--both in the jungle area (where we can access tours) and the beach area...should we pick simply 2 destinations for the entire trip (including Belize City) or more than that? Meanwhile, if someone can provide me with the ideal itinerary, I would be forever in debt. We want to leave July 20 till July 30. Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated. Lan, thanks! I will visit your Web site.
Please e-mail me at [email protected]

Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:10 AM

You might look into the Inn at Robert's Grove (Placencia). I honeymooned there for 3 nights in September of 2001, and found it to be a lovely romantic place just to relax. I purchased a honeymoon package on the inn's website which was very reasonable, with dinners (steak, lobster, you name it) included.

I also spent 4 nights at Chaa Creek Lodge, and it was absolutely fabulous! It is a little expensive, but worth every penny. The staff is warm and friendly, and the area is a nature-lovers dream. We took a day trip to Guatemala, went canooing, and explored a cave. I am not a rich person and spent one year paying for this trip, but I have had no regrets!
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM

For the BEST information on BELIZE,go to "locogringo.com It is the most fantastic web site for the area and the Maya area of Mexico.