Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Belize HELP: Blackbird, Turneffe Island or Lighthouse?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
ycm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

I am trying to choose between these three resorts for a four day dive trip and would love some help distinguishing between them... I'm basically looking for a nice setting, a knowledgeable and professional dive staff, good equipment (rental and boat) and good service. Any help deciding which is best would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:25 AM

I'm partial to Blackbird, which offers 3,4 and 7 nt packages. I like the diversity on the island. The 7 and 4 nt packages include the Blue Hole dive.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:44 AM

If you have a week, their minimum, the service at Lighthouse Reef cannot be better. I can only compare to Turneffe, though. Their proximity to the Blue Hole makes that dive day a breeze vs. long boat trip.They offer 2 and 3 dives a day. It is rustic but all units are clean, simply decorated and have A/C. THe food is pretty good.Each day you just show up at the dive boat, they do EVERYTHING for you.
Only big drawback is they fly to out on Sat. about 4 PM and return the following Sat. at 6-7 AM. It is the furthest (60 miles) inhabitated atoll that is still part of Belize.
If you want 30 guests and not 60 this is ideal place.They tend to book up fast Nov.-May because it is a small resort. Oh, yes, they have a beautiful beach, as well. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:48 AM

My husband and I visited Turneffe Island in May 2003 and it was the one of the best vacations we have ever had. The staff at Turneffe Islands was amazing. The dive team was really great. You set up your gear for your very first dive, and then the Turneffe Island Dive Crew takes care of cleaning and assembling it for you thereafter. They even had you take you tank off in the water and they lifted it up on the boat for you. Total lazy man diving! We brought our own equipment, but their equipement appeared to be in good shape, and they offer Nitrox fills and cert classes if you are interested. The best part was that most of the dive locations are minutes from the resort (including "The Elbow" which is famous for it's big marine life sightings), so you were able to come back and chill out on the beach with fresh lemonade and homemade cookies for your hour surface interal after your first dive.
The staff went above and beyond in hospitality. On our last day, our host, Rob, and the dive crew were heading out on the boat to relax and do some wake boarding and they asked us to join them for an afternoon of fun. They weren't looking to make a buck, and they didn't charge us for the afternoon on the boat, they just wanted us to have a good time. BTW- Turneffe offers both 4 and 7 day packages, and both packages include a trip to the Blue Hole. Turneffe has a brand new beautiful boat that makes the trip. I have hundreds of digital pictures (both underwater and above) if you are interested. Email me at [email protected]

Go to Turneffe Island- you won't regret it! And say hi to Bo, Rickey, Rob & Lizette for me.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM

I gave Turneffe Island Lodge a star (highly recommended) in the new Fodor's Belize & Guatemala 2005.

--Lan Sluder