Search

Belize, ambergrise caye, in September?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize, ambergrise caye, in September?

Hi,
I can't figure out where to go on my vacation! My husband and I have 9 days off Sept. 8th. We are now thinking of Belize. We are also thinking of St. John but love places that are not americanized.

(we want to explore, snorkel, dine, relax...)

Anyone been there during hurricane season? I see many little houses and hotels going for around $100 a night during that month.

wbs
Courtney
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Have you thought about Costa Rica? Parts are a bit touristy but nothing like the Virgin Islands, etc
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM

I've spent a week on Ambergris the past two Septembers. It was sunny and hot both times. Some of the restaurants and hotels close down during this slow time, but plenty of places are still open.

The sea breezes tend to die down at that time of year, so unless, you really enjoy heat, I'd look for a place with air conditioning, at least in the bedroom.

You also might want to get trip insurance, in case bad weather does threaten. It's one of those 'do as I say, not as I do', since we never buy the insurance....
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

JeanH- I saw that there are flights to Belize City..but how do you get to southern Belize? I don't want to sound silly but, are there flights that go directly there? What is the driving time? I am having a hard time finding

Would this be an expensive trip to stay down on San Pedro island or just stay on the inland instead near punta gorda?

I guess what I mean is, we want to be in a good part of Belize where everything is since we only have 8 days.

wbs
Courtney
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM

All international flights land in Belize City (actually Ladyville, but it's a suburb of Belize City). From there you can fly to most places in Belize.

I have never been south to Punta Gorda. We will eventually, but haven't been yet. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is quite the tourist infrastructure down there that you'll find in Placencia, San Ignacio, the Hopkins area or the northern cayes. That doesn't mean it doesn't have what you're looking for, but finding information will be a bit harder.

The snorkeling is easiest from the nothern cayes because of their proximity (sp?) to the reef. Between half a mile and a mile. By the time you get to Placencia it's about 19 miles to the reef.

Many people split their trip between the Cayo district and one of the beach destinations. Even with only eight days, it's very doable. Depending on your arrival time in Belize City, you can easily make it to the San Igancio (Cayo) area by dark, either by renting a car or hiring a driver. You can also take the bus, first you have to get to Belize City itself by cab, then wait for the next bus.

Three or four nights in or around San Ignacio exploring Mayan ruins, caves, kayaking on the rivers, hiking in the jungle. Then return to the municipal airport in Belize City and fly to another destination. You can probably also drive, if you're heading south, but a major bridge was washed out with the last tropical storm and I'm unsure of the status of the temporary bridge that's going in.

Taking domestic flights in Belize is easy. No long lines, no hassles, you only have to be there 30 minutes (or less) before your flight leaves.

If you only want one destination, it's easier to do the mainland stuff from around Hopkins, or possibly Placencia. You can also do them from the cayes, but the tours cost more because of travel costs to get back to the mainland.

Personally, I'd split the trip, but that's because I really love the northern cayes.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again for the fast reply. Yes, Belize for sure! We are looking into flights and they are around $700 flying out of Las Vegas..not as bad as I thought.

I looked into the Northern area...including the corozal, ambergris caye, caye caulker, san ignacio and I found many little cottages in that area for under $50 a night, hotels for even less.

I think we are going to fly to Belize City, rent a four wheeler and drive up north. My hubby wants to have several days of just exploring, no hotel reservations and just 'wing' it. My friend did that and had a blast. There seems to be a lot of availability because of the season..and we cant take water taxis to the cayes if airfare is too expensive on a charter.

Did you book all of your accomodations in advance? I am thinking I may do half of the trip that way...and go in a circle..up north to the caye area, up to the top tip, then down to San Ignacio.

thanks again, you have really made me excited to go to Belize!

Courtney

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:36 AM

I confess to being an 'overplanner', so we've had reservation when we've traveled. But, in the summer season, you really don't need them, unless you have your heart set on a certain property.

Driving around and exploring sounds like a wonderful way to see Belize. Get a good guidebook or two, and you'll be good to go.