Where to go for the 'real' Belize?

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go for the 'real' Belize?

Hello!
I am planning a honeymoon for next Oct. (2004) and FI and I would love to take a trip to Belize. We are contemplating a move out of the US within the next few years and have heard that Belize would be a great country to consider. We only have 8 days/7 nights for this trip, and would like to get in as much scuba diving as possible. Does anyone have suggestions on where to go/stay on the coast that would help us meet as many people as possible and learn as much about life in Belize (albeit in 7 days)?
Are Belizeans open and welcoming to having ppl move into their country?
Thank you for your advice!
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:40 AM

Belizeans are very friendly and talkative. I usually suggest visitors split their trip between the beach and one of the jungle lodges on the mainland. If you opt for that, more specifically, take a look at the beachfront inns in Placencia and the riverside jungle lodges in Cayo. If you only want to dive, then I'd suggest you split your trip between San Pedro and Placencia, where many foreigners have already settled. Belizeans are happy to have people move here who can offer services not alreay here. I for one, would love a great french chef to make Belize City his or her home...
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Katie! My passion is baking, but I could work on becoming a chef.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 09:34 AM

I've written a book on relocating to Belize -- it's called Adapter Kit: Belize, published by Avalon. Most of expats in Belize live in San Pedro, Corozal Town (my fave), Placencia, Belize City or Cayo.

Take some buses, and you'll get to meet a lot of Belizeans. Also, stay at some of the smaller, Belizean-owned hotels.

There is some resentment about Americans and Canadians coming to Belize and buying up property, but then it's mostly Belizeans who are selling their land.

--Lan Sluder
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 02:02 PM

There is really only one place to go in Belize for excellent scuba diving --St. George's Lodge on St. George's Caye. My husband and I have been going there at least -- mostly twice -- a year for five years. We even got married there -- and all our friends were certified during our stay. Web site is www.gooddiving.com. Fred -- owner -- left California in the late 60s and has been on St. George's ever since. You won't meet as many people as possible because you'll be out on the island . . . but Fred and Fran can give you a perspective on acceptance of people moving into their country.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice! Lan, I will definitely check out your book. I am hoping we can arrange a longer stay so that we can accomplish both great diving and a greater knowledge of the people and country.

Please keep the ideas coming!!
Sara
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:28 PM

Hello Lan, Have you lived there?