beginner whitewater rafting in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest the best area to attempt a whitewater rafting trip (half day) in Costa Rica in July with a 10 and 11 year old? We are planning to visit MA and Monteverde during our 2 weeks. Not sure where else yet. Thankyou.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM

We haven't done it yet, but rafting on the Pacuare out of San Jose is really popular.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Although I think it would be a good idea to be a decent swimmer, you don't really have to worry about being a "beginner" rafter if you're going on an organized tour. The guides will do all the steering and the paddling isn't critical. Even swimming skills aren't that critical since everyone wears very buoyant life-jackets; it's more so you don't panic if you end up in the water.

Personally, I think a 10 and 11 year-old would be fine in just about any commercial white-water trip. Most tour operators have minimum age restrictions for their class III-V trips, starting with about 8-10 yrs up to 14 or so for class V.

For a fun first trip, I'd say go for a class III trip with your kids. If they like amusement park raft rides or mild roller coasters or water park slides and such, they'll love it. Costa Rican rivers are very scenic and you'll also see lots of river wildlife.

Unfortunately, MA and Monteverde aren't areas known for white-water. You might check with the hotels you're staying at to see if they offer any tours and who the outfitters are.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:18 AM

As much as I recommend the Pacuare I don't feel comfortable saying your kids would be okay at that age. It can be a rough river.

Most trips are full day because of the time it takes to get to the different rivers.

I would check a few companies to see what the average age allowed is. Some are 12, some are 14. I would worry if most say those and then one says less.
Rios Tropicals
Aventuras Naturales
Horizonte
Costa Rica Expeditions
are a few that come to mind. There are a few others that also go out of the Arenal area like DeSafio, Aguas Bravas.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM

That is Rio Tropicales not Rio Tropicals.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM

I thought you needed to be at least 14 to raft the Pacuare, but maybe it has changed. The full day trip(6 a.m. to 5 p.m.) is the shortest trip. I'm mid 40's and in pretty good shape and there have been times when I have just squatted down in the bottom of the raft and held on with everything I had. A great rush when you make it through the rapid and the raft doesn't flip, but I can't imagine taking a 10 year old. We have gone twice in the last year and a half and I've never seen children younger than pre-teens. We go in the fall when the water is high and fast so this might make a difference on who they allow to go. You should be able to find some Class II's and III's that will be fitting for your group.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Out of Manuel Antonio we recently did the half day on the Naranjo River. Our kids are 9 & 14 and it was our first time rafting. We originally planned on the Savegre (full day) but hurricane Alma had wiped out the road(s) to the drop in point. So, even though it's supposed to be a more challenging river, we did the Naranjo (listed class 3-4). We used Rio Tropicales and would highly recommend them (they were recommended to us). The day we went, though running high and swift, the river was only class 2-3. We had a great time and wish the trip had been longer (only on the river for approx 2 hrs).
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou. I read that the pacuare is age 12 minimum and my kids are not exceptionally brave. I will try looking in to the areas at MA, savegre and narinjo. I am wondering if the roads are still wiped out. I guess I will try contacting the company you recommended. We are going in late July 2008.