Search

Aventuras Naturales

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aventuras Naturales

Oops - I forgot to post this under Costa Rica.
Has anyone taken the Aventuras Naturales tours. Would you recommend the 1-day Pacure River rafting trip, or the 2 or 3 day packages. Is the canopy tour any good, how about the Jungle lodge? I will be traveling with 2 adults and 3 boys ages 14,12, and 12 who want high adventure.

Thanks

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:37 AM

We used Aventuras Naturales to raft the Sarapiqui. The guides are excellent and they focus much of their instruction on safety. I would not hesitate to use them again.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:06 PM

How strong were the rapids on the Sarapiqui? Did anyone get thrown from your raft? Can you tell I'm a little nervous about WW rafting? I'm thinking about trying it, but looking for a somewhat "calm" trip for our first time.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM

LA FadeAway,
I haven't done whitewater on the Sarapiqui, but from what I've read, it's lower class rapids than the Pacuare--maybe Class II & III. You can check the Aventuras Naturales website and read about it to be sure.
We've done some whitewater class III & IV here in the states a couple of times, and it is a blast. However, like you, it makes me nervous. I enjoy it, but am always relieved when it is over! Haven't tried it in Costa Rica yet. Maybe someday. I just don't ever feel confident about doing the right things in case I get thrown out! So I don't care for continuous rapids, just a few here and there with some nice calm water in between! It is fun, though!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:23 PM

LA--found this on one website. Sounds like the Sarapiqui is great for beginners. A few rapids with those nice calm stretches I was speaking of! Hope it reassures you a bit!

This narrow, low-volume river is ideal for white-water novices, as well as families, all of whom will enjoy its moderately flowing rapids, interspersed with tranquil stretches. The journey is also excellent for bird-watchers and other nature lovers, as the river stretches its way through lush vegetation that is home to hummingbirds, toucans, woodpeckers, and scores of other native bird species. Don't miss this classic tropical river experience!

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info Shillmac. Now, I just have to try and work it into my itenary...
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM

LOL. . .where there's a will, there's a way! Have you decided about your route to La Paz yet? Let us all know if you stay in some neat places that don't often get reviewed!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:47 PM

I'm still thinking aboute the route to La Paz. The road through Turrialba sounds most interesting, but I can't decide if we want to spend the night there or on the coast. Would the drive from the coast through Turrialba to La Paz be too long for one day?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:48 PM

The portion of the Sarapiqui we rafted is Class II and III - perfect for beginners. On the way to the drop-in point, we stopped for a delicious breakfast at a restaurant off of the Braulio Carrillo highway. About mid-way down the river, we were able to stop and swim for a short while. At the end of the trip, we had a lunch of coldcuts, cheeses and fruit. It was a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it. Although not quite as scenic as the Pacuare, the Sarapiqui is a beautiful river. Be prepared for a workout - you will be expected to paddle and paddle hard!

Terri
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Yes, LA, I do think the route through Turrialba to La Paz would make for a very long day and, given your late in the day start, would put you driving after dark. But if you drive to the Turrialba area, explore a little, you could drive to La Paz the next day in 3-4 hours, arriving in time to check in and enjoy the property for most of the afternoon prior to your first night there.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Shillmac,
I guess I wan't real clear. What if we were to spend the night in Puerto Viejo or Cahuita and then do the drive to La Paz, via Turrialba? Would that be too long?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM

LA, I see. I think I just misread your post. Sorry. Sure, if you started out from Cahuita or PV in the a.m., it would be just fine. You get into some really nice rolling hills and farmland after Turrialba. Apparently the volcanic ash (Irazu) has made this area very fertile. You might even have time to drive up Irazu--it's different from Poas, and interesting. Very cold up there! We didn't go up on our drive in this area, but did it a few months later.

We had intended after going through Turrialba and the Guaybo Monument park to make it down to Orosi, but got on a wrong road (sort of like one of Trish and Rene's adventures) and ended up driving through Pacayas and Cot, then into Cartago, and on into San Jose. Although we were disappointed not to get on down to the Orosi Valley, it was still a beautiful drive, and we enjoyed it. I can't remember what time we got into San Jose, but it was before dark.

But remember, we spent probably 2 hours getting to the Guaybo site, looking at it, etc. And it is just outside Turrialba. I remember giving my husband heck when he drove right through Turrialba without stopping and I was dying to stop and look around a bit! And then, when we missed the Orosi road--poor guy.

Am I rambling or what? Here I am doing a trip report from 18 months ago!

Point is, sure you can make it. Leave by 7:00 or 8:00. We didn't get out of Cahuita until after 9:00 because it was raining and we sat at breakfast awhile waiting for it to stop or slow down. If you stay at Aviaras Caribe (sp?), you'll be even further up the road and that will help. Also, it would be nice for you to have some time to look around in PV, Cahuita, etc. We liked it there.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:38 PM

Shillmac, thanks again for all the great information. I think I'm leaning toward spending the night on the coast. Either at the Puerto Viejo B&B, which is where we are staying on the way down to Bocas or further north at Aviarios del Caribe.

Teeny,
I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hijack this thread and get so far off topic!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Hi Teeny,
We did the Pacure River 2 day package in June 2002. It was the highlight of our Costa Rica trip. The guides were terrific. The whitewater was fun - no one in our boat went out and there was a 12 year old.

The lodge is such fun!

The raft guides are your guides throughout the trip. The lodge has seven cabanas. Each cabana has a small front porch. The inside consists of a bedroom and a small bath. (Only cold water). There is no electricity - it just adds to the enjoyment. The guides prepare a fabulous meal (again with no electricity). All the guests (there were 14 when we went)eat together by candlelight. The lodge is right on the river and the flowers are WOW!

We took the canopy tour the next morning. There is a hike to begin with - then safety instruction. During the safey class is when I really realized what I was going to be doing. The first zip was scary --- but way cool! Your boys would LOVE it!! After the tour, which ends back at the lodge - you have breakfast, pack the rafts and continue down the river.

The entire experience was truly magical. We're planning another trip to Costa Rica in 2005 and the Pacure River overnight (probably the 3 day) will be on our agenda.

We'd made arrangements to be picked up at our hotel in San Jose. It was about a 2 hour ride with a stop for breakfast. There is a downhill hike at the raft put in. It's steep and we did not have proper shoes and slipped a bunch. Be sure to have shoes that grip.

You can't go wrong with this adventure. As you can tell - I really enjoyed it!

Happy Travels!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LindE. Your post is very helpful. I think I'll plan on a Pancure rafting trip. The pp $ for the 2 day trip seems steep when traveling w/ the whole family. We may have to do a day trip and stay in San Jose for budget reasons.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:55 AM

I''m sure you'll have a great time!
You'll really enjoy Costa Rica!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM

LindyE,

sounds like a great trip! which company did you use for the rafting?

thanks,
janet
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Aventuras Naturales! They were excellent.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:23 PM

Lindy, did you book the two day trip in advance? If so, how did you get in contact with Aventuras Naturales?

(We want very much to do the two day trip on the Pacuare in July, but we would prefer to book it once we arrive, just in case the waters are too high and we need to switch to the Sarapiqui.)
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Both Aventuras and Rios Tropicales are great companies to raft with. Both raft the Pacuare as well as the Sarapiqui. Possibly you could ask them up front if you could switch rivers in the event one of them is too high on the day you want to go. Many people wait until the day before to book the trips so I would think you could, at the very least just switch rivers within the same company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -