Beefing up the Vegetarian Options in Argentina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The enormous consumption of meat is an ever-present part of the imagery of Argentine cuisine. Even a young Charles Darwin was astonished at how much beef the gaucho's ate for months on end. But the great naturalist's experience of Argentine carnivorousness was positively mild compared to that of the modern day visitor. Argentina is a carnivore's idea of heaven and is second only to the United States of America as the largest consumer of beef in the world. That is a lot of beef, considering the USA has over seven times more people! These days, beef is only part of a serious meat-eater's diet and you will be amazed at the size and variety of offerings if you indulge at a parilla (roasting kitchen). Argentines have also elevated the barbecue (asado) to an art form and it makes the shrink-wrapped pieces of meat we buy in supermarkets look, quite frankly, pathetic.

Despite this great meat-fest the situation is not as desperate as it might seem to some vegetarians. There are always meat-free options at most restaurants and these include empanadas, pasta, pizza, omelettes, tortillas and salads. Tenedor libres (all you can eat buffets) also provide a source of fresh salad and vegetables. There are also a number of vegetarian restaurants to be found throughout the country and these provide a welcome relief from the food mentioned above. Over the last decade the number of vegetarian restaurants has grown to cater for the ever increasing number of tourists and local people interested in healthy alternatives.

If you are planning to visit Argentina or are currently travelling in the country, you might want to make a note of the following vegetarian restaurants. In Buenos Aires some of the hippest eateries are steak-free and we recommend you try Bio, Krishna, Masamadre, Providencia, or Verdellama. Granix (Florida 165 - first floor in the Mitre Building) is also a good choice in the capital for an all-you-can-eat buffet (lunch time only). Another two excellent all-you-can-eat vegetarian buffets include Soychu in San Juan and the Green Apple in Mendoza. There are also many other veggie options in Mendoza. For a cosy and relaxing experience try Verde Gourmet if you find yourself in Colon (Entre Rios). You won't find a warmer or more passionate couple running a vegetarian restaurant anywhere in Argentina. Although just over the border in Chile, you will also enjoy the food and atmosphere offered at El Living in Puerto Natales. A popular spot to fill up on veggie fare before and after your hike in Torres Del Paine. Please visit the Happy Cow website for details of other vegetarian restaurants in Argentina and other South American countries.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:23 AM

"Beefing up" vegetarian options!!!!
I'm not a vegetarian, but Kite20 certainly has a great sense of humor!! LOL!!!!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Thanks so much for this post!! I'm planning on going to Argentina next year, and possibly study abroad there. I'm vegetarian, and I wondered how difficult it would be there, although I always seem to manage no matter where I go. I appreciate the detailed tips, I'll look into those places!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Thanks for presenting some good vegetarian options. I'm sure I'll eat a lot of beef in B.A., but I don't want it for EVERY meal!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Thanks, Kite20, this is very timely for us since we leave for BsAs in a couple of hours and we're vegetarian.

I use, and recommend, the Happy Cow site all the time for Europe and didn't think to check it for this trip so that's a great reminder.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM

just a quick addition - pasta is everywhere in BA and often there are a couple of veggie ones.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 07:57 AM

I'm a vegetarian, too and spent 5 weeks in BA without a problem. I checked Happy Cow website before I left for some vegetarian options in BA, but was so pleased with the choice of pastas, salads, pizzas, etc. available everywhere that I did not spend too much time seeking out the vegetarian restaurants. We did try Bio, one of the popular and often mentioned vegetarian restarants. I was not impressed. I did not like my meal or my husband's. I had some kind of Asian dish that had a lot of conflicting flavors. He wanted to give Bio a second chance, but I saw no reason to since the food was so wonderful in the non-vegetarian restaurants. We did speak to a number of people at Bio and they were more enthusiastic than I was and were pleased to find a restaurant that catered to vegetarians. Perhaps, it was the atmosphere that they liked, I can't believe it was the food!
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM

I don't eat red meat and I live in Buenos Aires and have no trouble at all with finding delicious healthy food.

I rarely go to restaurants that are "vegetarian" .. there are so many good options besides eating steak here..

And lets not forget the gelato and alfajores