The Royal in Playa del Carmen

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Royal in Playa del Carmen

Is this resort as bad as it sounds, some of the reviews on Tripadvisor are bad? I am considering going there in Nov 2008. People on tripadvisor talk about fishing boats everywhere, the smell of fish in the air, and the loungers on the beach being very close to each other, plus the many sandbags. Any info would be appreciated.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM

That would not be the Royal Playa Del Carmen but sounds more like the Gran Porto Real with sandbags. The Royal is across the street. There are no fishing boats in front of the Royal.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM

The Royal Hideaway has sandbags on the beach. The Royal Playa del Carmen is a GREAT resort with a wonderful beach. It is adults only and has no "fihsy " smell at all!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
KVR

We just returned from The Royal Playa del Carmen in Sept. It is a very nice AI adult only hotel in an excellant location. All the reviews I've read, including the one I posted, were very positive.

Across the street from the Royal is their sister resort, the Gran Porto Real. When we were there, yes, they had sand bags and fishing boats were tied to the shore. That part of the beach is not connected to the Royal.

We really enjoyed The Royal Playa del Carmen. We've been to many AI resorts and The Royal knows how do it right. The rooms are very nice and the food was above average. Being within walking distance to 5th Avenue is a major plus.

If your interested, we have pictures of both the Royal Playa del Carmen and the beach area of the Gran Porto Real at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM

We loved the Royal. It was a great value and the staff were friendly. The Royal did not have sandbags when we were there in May, but the sister hotel did. Fishing boats are not allowed on the Royal side of the pier. It is a great hotel in a great location. I don't know how you could go wrong.