Beautiful Caribbean Colombia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from a far too short 10 day trip to Colombia. Four nights in Cartagena, two nights on Providencia and four nights on San Andres. We’re upper 50’s, active, husband is a new diver.

In Cartagena we stayed at Casa La Fe in the old city. We had a balcony room on the third floor. Nice sized room, minibar, and a balcony. I’m thinking the balcony was the best part of the room. We looked out over Parque Fernendez Madrid. Great place for people watching. Breakfast was included and was good.

The old city is fascinating. Lots of churches, small museums, and people to see. A good variety of restaurants, we ate everything from pizza (excellent) to chicken to fish. We aren’t ‘high end’ travelers, so didn’t go to the top tier restaurants.

We did hire an English speaking guide for a walking tour of the old city. She was pretty good, and we enjoyed her company. In fact, we hired her again for a driving tour of the city as well. We saw the fort and the monastery, as well as some other sights.

One day we walked to the Boca Grande area. The beach wasn’t very impressive and it was the only place we felt sort of harassed by the vendors. No one was nasty, but some continued even after being told no. The worst were the women wanting to give massages. Boca Grande really just wasn't our kind of place, we were much happier staying in the old city.

Next stop Providencia..

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

From there we flew Avianca to San Andres, then on Searca to Providencia. We had a really hard time getting reservations for Providencia. I thought part of it was my lack of Spanish, but met a native Colombian who had also had difficulty making her reservation. Decameron Resorts has taken over the reservation process for many of the small hotels on the island, and it seems ridiculously difficult to make contact with them.

That said we enjoyed our short, two night stay at Cabanas Agua Dulce. The cabin was pleasant enough, small fridge. No hot water, but that isn’t a big deal for us.

Providencia is one of the prettiest islands I’ve seen in the Caribbean. Lush, green, mountainous. Only one road circumvents the island. It’s really beautiful, and truly undeveloped. For that reason, it probably isn’t for everyone. The water is clear and blue. Beaches are fairly narrow, but have pretty white sand. A real ‘diamond in the rough’.

Back to San Andres for four nights. A much more developed island. It’s also larger, and has several all-inclusive resorts. Most are owned by Decameron. Once again, I had difficulty booking, ended up at a small hotel called Portobelo. It was more of a budget place, although really not that cheap (about US$90.00 a night). But, the room was large, it was clean, and it felt very safe. It was also on the beach, and had wonderful views from the balcony.

San Andres has the wonderful blue Caribbean waters, and white sand. It also has good diving and several small cayes with cool beach bars for day trips. I’m not sure why there aren’t more Americans there. We never met anyone from the US our entire time in Colombia.

I’m not a good trip report writer, but I’d be glad to try and answer any questions people might have. Colombia is a wonderful country, we barely touched the surface. I’d love to go back and spend some more time.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Hi Jean,

I'm even MORE excited to get to Providencia now!

As I mentioned to u previously were were set to go but literally couldn't make reservations after trying TONS of different contacts, no's, calling Colombia, etc etc.

It sounds perfect for us! Agua Dulce was our choice as well. I thought it would be nice to have the little pool for the children.

We might go early March so I could call on your expertise!

Faithie
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi Faithie,

I admit I thought of you when that woman we met who was from Colombia was complaining about her difficulty making reservations. I think she was even in Colombia at the time, in Medellin, visiting her parents.

I haven't had a chance to get our pictures onto the computer, some of us are still tech. challenged....

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Ps
I believe more Canadians go to Colombia, certainly San Andres. Charters have been going there for years....My brother went in the early'80's.

We will fly directly from Montreal to San Andres on Air Transat(charter). We buy the leftover air only seats at last minute sale prices. Usually less than $400 return tx included. Montreal's a hub & Quebecers love to go south so we're lucky that way.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM

PS Jean....

Do you think Agua Dulce would be ok with Children?

We are ok with cold water & the little walk to the beach.

We usually choose pretty simple places to stay.

Basically we like to snorkel, swim, walk and explore a bit, eat, swim, etc, lol! We def. don't need tons of activities.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

If you want a pool for the kids, I think Cabanas Agua Dulce would be fine. Our room had a double bed on the main floor and a loft with two singles.

We did a breakfast only plan, and found more choices than I expected within a 15 minute walk for other meals.

That said, if the pool isn't that important, I'd opt for one of the places right on the beach. Cabanas Miss Elma is right down the road, in fact, that's probably where you'd have to walk to get to the beach. Agua Dulce has property on both sides of the road, but there really isn't a beach, just rocks. Wonderful views though.

I also noticed lots of places that I'm guessing have no presence on the web that had rooms for rent.

I did know that there were charters from Montreal and Toronto, but didn't realize that you live close enough to take advantage of them.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:06 AM

If it was just hubby and I a pool is not necessary at all. But the children do love to pop in after supper, when we return from the beach etc.

We will do the breakfast only as well.

Our other choices were Cabanas Miss Mary, then Elma.

I did find on a certain site tons of other small lodging places, no websites just a pic, phone number etc. One looked really cute with "moon" somewhere in the name. I wasn;t brave enough to give it a go. Odd because before internet that's how we did it, lol. Site unseen.

I think the little place was Hotel Blue Moon...., do you remember it?
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:20 AM

Actually, lol....it's "Hotel Deep Blue".

No "moon" at all.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I don't recall a place called 'Deep Blue'. That doesn't mean much, we really weren't in the little town where the bridge to Catalina Island is.

I know what you mean about kids and pools though. Having a pool made traveling much easier when my kids were little.

Good luck in your search for a place to stay.