costa rica safe for 18 yr olds alone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my daughter who will just have graduated from highschool and five friends want to spend a week in CR on their own i am nervous that it is not safe for young girls to travel alone does anyone know a guide or tour operator who could set up a tour to places they want to see and drive them so they are not traveling alone?
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM

What makes any country unsafe for young travelers in my opinion isn't so much the place but their age. It can be challenging enough as an adult to make choices for trips and activities that are reasonable and safe but 18-year-olds may be more impulsive, feel more immortal ("it won't happen to me&quot and certainly have less life experience.

That said, my son Isaac spent 2 months in England and Scotland with a friend starting the day after graduation and both our boys spent the year after high school on intercultural exchanges, so I know about letting go. And with only a week, staying in one spot and doing day trip may make more sense and be safer.

Here's a link to the AFS summer program to Costa Rica; I've heard incredible reports about it: http://www.usa.afs.org/usa_en/focus_on/high_school/20
I realize it's more time than they were planning to spend but they'd have a much grander experience, too. Hopefully others can contribute more specifics about CR.

Good luck and happy trails!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM

I think it's not so much their age that matters but their previous travel experience. We've been to CR twice with my 18 yr old son & do quite a bit of traveling and still I would be apprehensive about him traveling there with friends. If they are looking to stay at one resort for the entire time then I'd feel better about it however if they're looking to travel around..then I'd be worried. While taking the ferry at Puntarenas we overheard 3 young girls make the decision to travel in the car of two young men they had just met on the ferry. Naturally my "mom" instincts kicked in & I was tempted to tell them how dangerous this was.
I wound up keeping my mouth shut knowing that it was unlikely that anything I said would have changed their minds. As hopefulist said, it's the "it won't happen to me" attitude that scares me.

Regarding the driving...the minimum age to rent a car is usually at least 21 so I'm not sure if that would even be an option for them. Do you know where they're thinking of going? If they decide to go I would recommend Swiss Travel as a tour operator. They could arrange transportation as well as tours for them. Good luck!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM

Indeed, that is the age where they often "throw caution to the wind" and feel invincible.

You read of trouble arising after they go to a local bar to have fun, get a little drunk and leave at 2am.

A little worrisome to me to be honest. I love Costa Rica, but I'm a mom and need to be honest that when I read your post I really had to think about what I'd do.

If they were on a resort, taking tours with an official tour guide, it sounds more comforting.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:00 AM

I have to agree with Bellaboo..It is so easy to throw caution to the wind..
I didn't start traveling until I was really in my late 20's.. and when I look back I can admit that we probably took some chances that we shouldn't have. It's not because I was finally off by myself without my parents. I had lived on my own since I was 19. It was mostly because I trusted people way too much. It doesn't even have to be that they will go off with guys or stay out late drinking. You can make bad choices in the light of day!
I think a program like Hopeful has suggested would be perfect.
You know your daughter better then anyone, I am sure that you will help her make the right decision.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM

Gives me alarm bells also. My daughters traveled there alone when they were a bit older, 19 and 24. Even then, they took some chances that I wasn't happy about once I heard. And neither one was a wild child! Plus they'd already been there with us and knew their way around a bit. They were able to rent a car. I'm pretty sure the minimum age is 23 in Costa Rica.

They DO think they are invincible at 18--and beyond a few years. And let me tell you, young Costa Rican men are good looking and VERY smooth. It takes a LOT of experience (not to mention cultural expertise) to be able to see through the sweet words. That's just a fact.

I've traveled alone down there a lot and been in language school with kids as young as 15--alone for 4 weeks, 5 weeks, BUT in the care of a Costa Rican family with whom they are doing a school homestay. Some of them have the maturity (and the intention to learn the language), but many absolutely just cannot handle it, causing problems for the school and the families. Now that is with SUPERVISION! As someone said, you know your girls better than anyone.

I would have thought it a bit safer 5 years ago than I do now. The opportunists have come out of the woodwork with the huge increase of tourism in Costa Rica. They are especially active at plsces that are most attractive to kids--beach towns.

Another thing to consider, but it's just my opinion--think about it. Sometimes it's better for kids that age to NOT be with a group (say of 4 or 5). Sometimes one girl who would ordinarily recognize a dangerous situation and respond accordingly can be convinced to go along with popular opinion and throw caution to the wind by the less cautious/sensible members of the group. Group mentality might pose a real problem. . .

Not what you are probably wanting to hear from any of us, but the fact that most of us are thinking alike is significant. And I don't think any of us are fuddy-duddies! The arranged travel (such as Swiss Travel) might be a solution!

Oh, and by the way, 18 years is legal drinking age in Costa Rica.
This alone is extremely inviting for our U.S. kids used to the number "21".

This is a tough one for you, I know. Good luck!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
surfersmom

I agree with all of above. We 'took' our daughter there at age 17 and she didn't return on her own til she was 21 ... she is there right now as we speak at almost 23 yrs old. Both at 21 and this time she is at a surf camp ... he picks them up at the airport and returns them, houses them at a hotel. Teaches them surfing, arranges things like ziplining, horseback riding, touring around a bit ... out to some restaurants etc, but is always with them when they are doing things ... only alone at their hotel. He told me that he wouldn't even take on younger than that. I went with my daughter this trip for the first 10 days (she is there for another 10 on her own .. with the surf camp). She is in good hands, but it can be dangerous there for young girls. I just wouldn't. The rule I followed was ... you can go on your own when you can afford all the costs on your own. She needed my funding, therefore I took her earlier. Now she does it on her own. BTW, she just got back from Bali, Indonesia and paid for that herself. If you want to see the camp she goes to (which is the best she has found out of 4 she has been to) it is www.jimhogansurfcamp.com Great guy, excellent instructor and good all round influence for kids that age. I got to meet him this trip and am more comfortable than ever. He is from California and lives there with his wife and 2 kids and was the World Long Board champ in 95/96 and trained some on the US team as well as did the world tour for 10 years himself. Would help to teach them to be streetwise when travelling.