Costa Rica for Daughter - Concerns and Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, this is a new ballgame for me. I personally have felt safe on all of our CR trips, but to send your 22 year old daughter and a female friend, well that is a new nightmare. She is very independent, however I want to give her the best advice for safety.

She is strongly considering the southern Nicoya Area. I remember last year looking into the Tropico Latino at Santa Teresa/MalPais area, she likes the look of this, bungalow on the beach kind of place, small, but near a small funky beach town. Does anyone have an opinion? Or an alternate suggestion?

As for SJ overnighting, anyone have any info on Hotel Milvia or a choice in the $70/$80 range? Interested only in small hotels with local flair.

Personally leaning toward using a tour company for this trip, in order to give her some in country assistance in the event she needs it. Any suggestions or recommendations?

I have recommended the Treasures of Costa Rica tour while in SJ. This will give them La Paz, some rain forest and a low level rafting trip. As for the rest of the trip, she just wants to hang out somewhere on a beach. Not overly touristy.

As for in coutry travel, we are considering domestic air or private transfer?

Thanks
Donna

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Ah shucks mum... (scuffing toe on the ground)

I assume that she accompanied you on at least some of your trips to either CR or other places??? So she should be fairly comfortable with international travel???

Costa Rica is a very safe place even for a couple of 20+ year olds on their own.

I just noticed on the SANSA site that they have an unlimited pass for flights within CR - they have a one week and two week prices so depends on what their itinerary is whether this would be of any use or not...
www.flysansa.com and click on the Packages and Promotions button...

Good option in San Jose would be the Hotel Casa Roland - small but nice and in your price range www.casa-roland.com...

Costa Rica Temptations now Grupo CRT are a reliable operator, I know the owner Marcos Crespo quite well and he's a very nice guy and really knows his country...
www.crtinfo.com, the contact link sends an email directly to him as well so drop them a line...

There's internet cafes all over so they can email you regularly, they can also buy pre-paid cards for the pay phones to call you once in a while too...

Cheers,
Andrew

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Our daughter has been to Costa Rica twice on her own. Once with her sister and once while studying Spanish, just this past summer as a 22 year old. She understands the country and its culture from traveling with us. She knows about safety precautions, and when to throw in a little extra precaution. She has rented a car and driven. We have felt very comfortable with this, and I am a tremendous worry wart. However, I think I feel better about her traveling around CR than I would if she were traveling around the U.S. the fact that your daughter will be with a friend is a big plus. I think you can relax a bit on this one. Speaking Spanish does help, however!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I know I am worrying maybe too much, however it is my nature to be overly cautious, especially when the children want to spread their wings.

Shillmac, I agree that CR does seem a bit more safe than many US destinations. I had forgotten about your writings of your daughters travel, thank you for reminding me.

She did take high school Spanish and is in her 2nd year of college Spanish, so yes that will help.

But no, she has not been to CR. When she first starting talking of this adventure, I assumed she would be going to locations that her Dad and I had traveled.

We were in Montezuma last year, but have not been on around to the Santa Teresa/MalPais area.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:22 PM

The MalPais area is okay and she'll have a great time there. My opinion is that, when girls are traveling alone, their safety is ALMOST entirely dependent on their decision making. Sounds like a lot of responsibility, I know, but I really believe this to be true in Costa Rica. Some things you just don't do simply because they put you at greater risk. Some of the things you might do if dad is nearby are things you would refrain from doing if on your own. Does that make sense?
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Just some info...The restaurant is so-so at Tropico Latino and there is really no bar to speak of. I say this only because a 22 yr. old may find it boring although the rooms are fine.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 11:44 AM

I agree that the restaurant at Tropico Latino is so-so, but it isn't bad. Thing is, TL offers the best beach location for the best price in the area. It has only one "actual" beachfront bungalow, so try to book early. This is the best room on the entire property. We loved it!

Also, in San Jose, try Hotel Don Carlos. I mention it because of its good location. Very safe part of town (during the daylight hours) for walking and seeing the "suggested" sights of the city. The girls should always use a taxi in the evening anywhere in San Jose. It has local flair as well as (probably) the best and largest souvenir shop in the city. Fun place to stay with a very friendly staff.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help.

shillmac, as for Tropico only having one actual beachfront bungalow -
Can you remember if the other bungalows were extremely secluded, have any type view, distance to the beach? Anything you remember.

The beach view may not be that important to them, but I do want them in a nice, safe place.

Another thing, is they are not planning to have a vehicle, in looking at a website with a Santa Teresa/MalPais hotel/restaurant map everything seems reasonably close. However I know that is not always actual once you arrive. Will they be able to walk to some restaurants and areas for night life? And if not, Is there any transportation available?

She will be here on Friday to finalize their plans for March 2005, I have sent an email to Tropico, but have yet to hear back from them. But of course we are dealing with CR email time!

Naturally I have told them I would be happy to go along, but I only got a laugh!
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:22 PM

So sorry about the laugh!

My younger daughter allowed me to spend Spring Break with her in Costa Rica in 2003--also celebrating her 21st birthday. Just the two of us. It was a trip we will both remember for the rest of our lives! Don't know what got into her, but I was very thankful.

Okay, Tropico Latino. Location is excellent. Walking distance to "the strip" good. Right across the street from the entrance there will be a new super mercado (they were building it in March). When you turn in, there is the parking lot. Then to get to the restaurant/bar/reception area you walk through a garden area where the garden habitaciones face the walkway. Very nice area and these accomodations looked more than okay. There is a small pool adjacent to the bar/restaurant and the 2 beachfront bungalows--one directly in front of the other. Of course, it is the front one that offers the unobstructed view of the beach. This would be an excellent choice for your daughter and her friend, I think.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Donna, How could someone as nice as you worry. I am sure you have raised your daughter well and she will make you proud. Hopefully your daughter has chosen her friends wisely, I am sure she has. My son was living up in Monteverde by himself 4 years ago when he was 23. He did fine. He was able to show me a lot of "behind the scenes" things when I visited him. He grew up a lot during that time. He was my baby and I was a bit overprotective. It really gave him the confidence to face life on his terms. He now lives almost a whole continent away in Calif and is following in Mom's footsteps on the holidays by opening his doors to anyone who needs a family for the day. It was something I started 25 years ago when we made our first military move away from family. I spent most of Wed. explaining how to cook a turkey as well as some of his other favorites. We are now friends as well as Mother and Son. Our daughter calls me daily from the next state over.

There comes a time when you have to trust in your parenting skills and your daughter and let her fly. It is nearing that time when you will start to respect her as an adult as well as a daughter.

You have traveled enough down there to know the pitfalls. There are dangers that fortunately you can warn her of as I did with my son and others have done with their children. It is the kids that don't have that knowledge passed on to them that can run into trouble. Guard that passport, have a copy, have her buy a phone card to call home in case there is a problem, don't wear jewelry, don't walk around at night. All things that you already know.

I still thank my mother for letting me go. I first traveled to Europe with a friend for several weeks when I was 19. I survived to travel back there many times. I learned so much about growing up when I had to trust myself and the knowledge that my mother had given me.

I don't mean to be preachy, just to let you know that there are people who have been there and understand how hard it is.