Beaches

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches

Does anyone recommend a beach area to stay at while visiting Argentina (preferably near Buenos Aires)?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Most Argentineans that can afford it for beaches go to Uruguay. There are nice beaches in Argentina but a LOOOONNNNGGG way south of Buenos Aires.
On the Buenos AIres shores the water of the River Plate is kind of brownish. Also Buenos Aires, in Summer is hotter and more humid than the Uruguayan coastal beaches.
Buenos Aires is a fantastic city and any Uruguayan that can afford it longs to go there for a short vacation, it is sophisticated, has wonderful things to do, one thing that is not available are beaches.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information!

Would you recommend Punta del Este? If so what resort do you recommend? I am looking go for a week at the end of february with my husband.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Hi tbeebe, yes I would highly recommend Punta del Este. As I have stated often in Fodors, a car is a MUST.
Ask me anything I can, if I possible I shall give you my honest opinion.
If you like beaches, casual life, dancing, good rest.,sports, etc. Punta is ideal. Also I believe that Feb is better than Jan because usually there is less people in Feb than in jan.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM

When you ask what resort do you recommend, are you asking for a hotel? The only place I know that is like a resort is the Barcelo Hotel in Portezuelo, which is a few miles before Punta itself coming from Montevideo.
If you are looking for a resort may be this is a good choice because there is golf, probably tennis,....I am sure you can find it in the internet, under Barcelo Hotels.
( As far as I know most hotels in Punta are only that hotels )
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I checked the internet and the Barcelo is called Club del Lago,
they offer both American Plan and bed and breakfast, I would choose the later, because you would like to visit different beaches, very spread out, have dinner in many of the lovely restaurants...etc I would not recommend to be restricted to one place.