Barra de Navidad: Tiempo Tranquilo

Aug 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Barra de Navidad: Tiempo Tranquilo

Just added fresh photos and text from Barra de Navidad.

"Everything all the way up to checking out and saying “adios” was pleasant at the Hotel del Centro! Didn’t really matter to me what else they do there to keep the doors open. If I’ve ever in Guadalajara on a budget again, I will definitely be heading right back there. Friendly all the way up to the end and again, soooooo clean!

Might be finally hitting some kind of stride. Getting out of Guadalajara was a snap. I was riding for the first hour or so under storm clouds, but never got rained on and the cuota (toll highway) is a splendid ride on a motorcycle. Easy curves and gorgeous scenery…

My only regret is that I didn’t force myself to stop to take photos of the Colima volcano. It was just too overcast at that part of the route and I have a hard time taking images if I don’t think the light is good enough. If I had it to do again, I would have stopped anyway and made due. Very lovely and stunning landscape that only gets more dramatic as you descend into some canyon region with high bridges over rugged mountain-flanked rivers.

Again, I wish there’d been places to pull over and get some images of that landscape. But, I think I’m starting to get burned out on being a “tourist”. I just wanted to enjoy the ride and views without trying to “save it for later”. I know that’s likely selfish, but after some of the previous days that weren’t quite as pleasant ;-) I wanted to just “be” again… like I was in the desert. I wanted to just bask in the bountiful beauty surrounding me and focus not on photography, but the way the cool wind felt brushing over my body while my eyes were transfixed on a glorious volcano… while my complete attention was at a peak of awareness of the road, the bike, the volcano and the beauty that just kept rushing past me around every soft and easy highway curve.

At one point while in this heightened state of complete awareness, I was passing a pickup truck. There were two young girls riding in the back and one girl looked like she was just singing dramatically out loud, into the wind and casting her song toward the volcano we’d both just passed by. We made eye contact and she thrust her thumb way up in the air with approval of me on my ride. She directed her song meant for the volcano toward me and I too nodded with complete joy and approval."

To continue reading the rest of "Barra de Navidad: Tiempo Tranquilo" and see fresh photos that go with this entry, go here: http://skiphuntvagabond.tumblr.com

Hasta,

Skip
Aug 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Just out of curiosity... does anyone even read these travelblog postings? Or, is it a complete waste of time on my part? I rarely get any replies these days and wondering if my time would be better spent taking more images than typing up these random reports. No sweat either way.

Hasta,

Skip
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Perhaps people feel you are just a little too much into self Skipper.
Aug 28th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

@Stewbear... perhaps, perhaps not. No big deal posting here, and this journey will be over soon... so no more posting until I can go somewhere else. cheers.
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

ps... keep in mind, all I'm doing it going out there and experiencing a place. I make images and write about whatever my perceptions are. If that's too much "self".. well, that's all I really know, ie. my "self". If folks aren't interested, don't bother me much. Just wondering if I was wasting time posting here is all. Thanks for the feedback.
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

@ Stewbear... Oh yeah! I totally forgot that I recently discovered MANY of the regular posters in these travel forums actually work in the travel industry in Mexico. When I post it how it is, without fluffing it up to try and entice more tourists to visit Mexico, well.. I think it really annoys all those who're trying to do their "job" by posting nothing but great things regarding traveling in Mexico.

Truth is... Mexico has some great things to offer for sure. Otherwise I wouldn't keep going there. But at the moment, there are some very real problems in Mexico that need to be addressed honestly instead of painting a less than honest picture of a lovely tourist getaway. I've seen Mexico from many perspectives... from the highway, from the small towns, from the cities... low budget places & huts... and some of the finest Mexico has to offer. At the moment, because of the horrible economy.. the folks in tourist destinations are very desperate and sadly not treating the few tourists like myself who go there.. with much respect at all. Then you've got a very intimidating military & police presence that's much more visible than it has been in the past with regular reports of clashes. Oh, and then there's that flu thing... but I might have got that too on this trip. If so.. it's just a bit worse than a regular flu. No biggy, but it has to be considered.

So there ya go. I don't work for the tourist industry in Mexico and am free to tell the truth. Some regulars on tourists forums simply don't dig that level of honesty. Call is "too much into Skipper" if you like. Doesn't matter, all I can do it call it like I see it from "Skipper's" point of view.
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

On a positive note though...

Here's one reason I endure many of the inconveniences one must encounter in Mexico... at the end of the day, I think it's worth it.

Disfruta!

http://vimeo.com/6315229
Aug 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Sorry if I upset you PERO you asked. It is so sad that you had to dig up a old post of mine to attempt to refute what I said by stating misinformation & out right lies.
OH! Just for the record I am not nor have I ever been in the Tourist business.
PS I will not reply to any more of your nonsense.
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Fair enough... take care, and I hope you've enjoyed my postings and photos. Hasta, Skip
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

and the post I refuted was about Zihuatenejo dated THIS month. I was in Zihuatenejo about a year ago and it was sorta dismal with a heavy gang presence. Perhaps it's been cleaned up now? Or, perhaps Ixtapa has managed to keep the gangs out? I don't know, but again... all I can do is be honest and report what I see.

If that bothers you or anyone else... so be it.
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Correction... you're right. Your glowing report of Zihua is from 2006. My experience there about a year ago was not favorable. Not horrible, but it felt like it was in a transitory period where the developers were trying to make it nice, but the gangs were holding fast. Lots of graffiti and you felt like you kinda needed to watch your back more than in the past. This could be a result of the bad economy too of course. I just wouldn't have Zihua as a primary destination until it settles down a bit and someone gets control of the very evident crime elements about the city.

Again, my mistake to question Stew's glowing report of the place. Three years ago it was likely just as he has reported in his posts. My experience was more recent. I have added an addendum post to Stew's Zihua thread to charify.

Hasta,

Skip
Aug 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

@ Stewbear... honestly, I do this regardless if anyone reads it. I figure years from now... when I can't get around so well anymore... from my rockin' chair... it'll be nice to revisit what I wrote and shot many moons ago. So, that's why it likely reads like I'm "into Skippy" cuz, basically... it's mostly for my own recollection. Just thought some might dig me sharing it. Cheers.
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM

Skip might try

www.poorbuthappy.com

few shoestring travelers on Fodors.
Aug 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

qwovadis... thanks. Yes, I'm aware of this... but I've found there are some non-shoestring travelers that enjoy alternate perspectives.

Again, doesn't matter. I will continue to write and shoot. It's no trouble to share here along with other sites. Sometimes I do get feedback at Fodor's from those who dig what I do. So, it's really no trouble to continue sharing. I will take Stewbear's speculation with a grain of salt. If Fodor's doesn't want me posting, I'm sure they'll let me know. ;-)

Cheers and thanks for the link!

Search this Thread