Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on Ateliers d'Artistes de Belleville??

May 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

I'll be arriving in Paris on May 29 and noticed that over 200 artists in the Belleville area are opening their workshops/studios for 4 days beginning May 28. http://www.ateliers-artistes-belleville.org/ Has anyone attended this annual event? Any comments or recommendations? Thanks!
May 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM

I have not attended, but the event sounds very interesting. I'm responding to bookmark to see what others have to say.
May 17th, 2010, 02:13 AM

I haven't attended either but thanks for bringing it to my attention. Now I'm going to go. Belleville is away from the city center and a less expensive area to live (cheap housing attracts artists). I can't help but think that the artwork found here would be a bit more original/unusual than what you might find in the galleries in the city center.
May 17th, 2010, 02:59 AM

I haven't attended this event but have stayed in Belleville on quite a few occasions whilst my sister lived in the area. If you don't happen to make it to the event, from my experience, a lot of the artists are more than happy to show you around their workshops/studios at any time, and wandering along some of the streets is like visiting the world's most eclectic art gallery. From memory, the artists around the area encompass everything from oils and mixed media via textiles and ceramics. Some of it is definitely an acquired taste but none of it is dull...

There are also loads of good cafes/bars in the area (my favourite for a decently priced prix-fixe lunch is Le Bariolé on the angle of Rue de Belleville and Rue Melingue) and you're within strolling distance of Les Buttes Chaumont and the Parc de Belleville with its uninterrupted views of the Eiffel Tower.

I love Belleville and despite the fact that the next time I'm in Paris (unfortunately just too late for this event) I'll be staying in the centre, I'm still going to drag my wife and toddling son out there for a relaxing wander about.
May 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info!!