Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you know the different arrondisements of Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow travelers, I know that a large part of choosing a hotel is the area of the city in which it is located. I have seen many questions regarding the different arrondisements of Paris. Can anyone give a brief explanation of these different areas? How do they compare and contrast as far a place to stay. Thanks for your assistance
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:52 AM

If you stay basically in the 1-8 arrondisements you will be close to all the major sites. We are staying in the 11eme in October but it is about 3 blocks from the 3eme (I think).
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.parisnet.net/parismap.html
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 07:57 AM

I lifted this once from a poster here on the forum and think its from www.concierge.com/paris

Paris is made up of arrondissments or districts, numbered from 1 to 20 and logically ordered with the 1st in the centre and the others following on in a clockwise spiral. The differences are vast and varied between the districts, both in terms of the populations and attractions, which together make up the multifaceted city we know and love.

1st: With its impressive collection of paintings and sculptures, the Louvre attracts visitors from the world over, who often combine it with a stroll in the adjoining Tuileries gardens. Designers of haute couture, including Yves St-Laurent and Dior, have set up shop in Rue St-Honoré, just a short walk from the majestic Place Vendôme, home to some of the finest jewellers in Paris. If luxury seems to be the prevailing feature in the 1st district, it has also lovingly accepted the Forum des Halles, the city's largest shopping centre.

2nd: With its little back streets harbouring galleries, cafés and boutiques, this district sets a typically Parisian scene. West of Rue Richelieu stands the theatre district where a dozen or so playhouses throng. The Bourse de Paris (Paris Stock Exchange) draws its clientele from the surrounding business community, while certain clothing factories in the Sentier district are now home to new Internet companies.

3rd: The Marais district prides itself on being one of the oldest and best preserved in Paris. In keeping with this yearning for yesteryear, a museum charting the history of the capital (Musée Carnavalet) can also be found here. Scattered with trendy bars, cafés and stylish boutiques, the Marais has also become the Mecca of gay nightlife in Paris.

4th: Undoubtedly one of the most picturesque districts. Wander across the bridge opposite the Hôtel de Ville (town hall) and you will drift onto the capital's two islands - Ile de la Cité and Ile Saint-Louis where a visit to the stunning Notre-Dame Cathedral is an absolute must. Back on the right bank, Place des Vosges - a beautiful old square lined with ancient buildings - is a wonderful witness to times gone by, while the Beaubourg centre of contemporary art confirms its resolutely futuristic outlook.

5th: This and the adjoining 6th district comprise the Quartier Latin (Latin Quarter), bastion of student life and higher education in Paris. Within a 100m radius around the Panthéon you'll find some of the most prestigious schools and universities in the whole of France. The Jardin des plantes, Paris' botanical gardens and zoo, is at once a calm and exotic place, and the Arènes de Lutèce (remains of a Roman amphitheatre) remind us just how rich the history of Paris really is. You'll find the Museum of the Middle Ages in Cluny Square. As picturesque as you could possibly imagine, the quaysides double as an enthralling treasure trove of second-hand bookstalls. Come nightfall, the young crowds flock to Place de la Contrescarpe and Rue Mouffetard.

6th: Rue de Seine, de Buci, Mazarine and Dauphine, along with the whole area between Boulevard St-Germain and the river Seine itself, are wholeheartedly characteristic of the allure of Paris. Discover the little cafés and boutiques of the chic-intellectual district of St-Germain-des-Près, and the bars and nightspots when the sun goes down. If on the other hand you want to escape, take some peaceful time out in the Jardin du Luxembourg.

7th: More commonly known as the "quartier des ministres" (ministers' quarter), the 7th district also boasts some of Paris' most beautiful monuments - the Invalides, the Eiffel Tower, the Champ de Mars - literally meaning "Field of Mars", this was originally a parade ground for cadets in the Ecole Militaire (Military Academy). Between Quai Voltaire and Rue de l'Université, dozens upon dozens of antique dealers entice you into their shops on the Carré Rive Gauche, and if you are in an artistic frame of mind, the spectacular Musée d'Orsay is well worth a browse.

8th: Naturally, any visit to the 8th district has to start on the most beautiful avenue in the world - the fabulous Champs-Elysées - which extends from Place de l'Etoile down to the finishing post on Place de la Concorde. Also worth seeing is La Madeleine - a neoclassical church - and jogger's paradise, the Parc Monceau. Music lovers will find heaven in a shopping trip along Rue de Rome. Other places of interest include the Grand and Petit Palais, as well as the Palais de la Découverte (the Palace of Discovery), which makes the fascinating world of science accessible to all.

9th: Its impressive elegance makes the Opéra (opera house) undeniably one of Paris' most exquisite monuments. You can take in the waxworks at Musée Grévin, and stroll through Nouvelles Athènes (New Athens) near the St-Georges métro, but this area is also characterized by large department stores, including Printemps, Galeries Lafayette, and Marks & Spencer.

10th: Running the entire length of the Canal St-Martin, the Quais de Valmy and de Jemappes extend either side of the water to provide one of the most delightful walks in Paris; from Rue de la Temple to Place de Stalingrad you will pass many a lock and maybe the odd barge or two.

11th: Formerly the haunt of furniture craftsmen, the Bastille district now plays host to an entirely different scene: that of Paris' young and trendy in-crowd. Rue du Faubourg-St-Antoine has seen many a restaurant and nightspot spring up and flourish. Neighbouring Rue de Lappe is probably the place to be seen of an evening, while others prefer the buzz of Rue Oberkampf a little further north.

12th: Paris' pleasure beach can be found here, between the Seine and the Place de la Bastille, where the imposing Opéra takes pride of place. The Palais Omnisport de Paris-Bercy serves as the venue for a variety of sporting and musical events, which often sell out very quickly, so be warned! Located to the far west of the city, but still within its limits, the Bois de Vincennes is a wonderful place to wander, especially around the lake.

13th: The easterly part of this district is known as "Chinatown", inhabited by an unbelievable number of Chinese and Asian restaurants, shops and supermarkets. The new Bibliothèque nationale de France (National Library) has also taken up residence in this area, overlooking the Quai de la Gare on the Seine. To the west of the district, meander through the small village of Buttee-aux-Cailles - an extraordinary find in the capital city. By way of contrast, but all within the same district, Place d'Italie boasts the biggest cinema screen in the whole of Europe.

14th: Rue Alésia stands out for its array of clothes shops, while Parc Montsouris is arguably one of the most charming green spots in the city. The international city university stands just opposite and is well worth a visit as it features architectural styles from all over the world. Finally, you can take a look at the Bronze Lion of Belfort in Place Denfert-Rochereau.

15th: Set along the banks of the Seine, the delightful André Citroën park in this district was, of course, named in honor of the famous car manufacturer, while a little further north, overlooking the river, you'll find Paris' skyline of skyscrapers peering down at a replica (or did this one come first?) of the Statue of Liberty.

16th: There's no denying that this is the most fashionable district of Paris. The Trocadéro offers a remarkable view of the city, as well as two museums (Marine - the Naval Museum - and Homme) - the Museum of Mankind). Avenue Foch is destined to impress, as is the Parc des Princes. West of the ring road, roams the Bois de Boulogne wood, which although best avoided after dark, is a real delight during the day.

18th: The Basilique du Sacré-Coeur (the Basilica of the Sacred Heart) is another must-see monument in the City of Light. Looking up at the basilica from the market below is sure to take your breath away (as will all the steps you have to climb to reach it!). A short walk from the Sacré-Coeur takes you to Place du Tertre, drenched in the atmosphere of "old Paris" which cannot fail to captivate, even if it is teeming with tourists. Rue des Abesses, with its trendy boutiques and bars, draws a hipper kind of crowd alongside the famous Pigalle area - Paris' red light district, and home to a famous nightlife of cabarets and bars.

19th: The Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie (City of Science and Industry) was designed as Paris' window onto the world of science; an objective that has been reached mainly courtesy of the Géode, a hemispherical cinema. The Buttes Chaumont - an area of natural parkland - is the ideal place for a relaxing walk, which you can finish off with the second part of Canal St-Martin as mentioned above.

20th: The most well-known cemetery in Paris, the Cimetière du Père-Lachaise is the final resting place of many famous artists, and is one of the most visited sites in the city. Memories of Jim Morrison are obviously still very much alive as his tomb is permanently carpeted with flowers. While the young arty crowds of the city tend to hang out further and further to the east of the city - mainly in the Bastille district which is rapidly surrendering to consumerism - this area has managed to hold on to its working-class origins, whence its charm.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Here's a good one too:

http://goeurope.about.com/gi/dynamic...t-paris.org%2F

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 08:00 AM

The above info may be contained in these threads, if not, then here is more info:

"What is 'arrondissement'?"
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34504827

"Paris Quarters, Arrondissements"
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34487357
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic! This will be great help in my understanding of the city. Thank you SO much.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Another tip which I learned here on Fodors is the last numbers of Paris zip codes indicate the arrondisement. So if you see a hotel with 75005 in the address you know it is in the 5th (Latin Quarter).
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Degas - very nice description of each arr.

I love to stay in the 1st arr when I go since it is centrally located. It all depends on each individual traveler.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Unless Paris has changed, when I lived there the last two digits on the license plate referred to the department within France. So a 75 indicated all of Paris. While hitchhiking there in my youth, this would indicate to us who to try to flag down and where they were probably going.

Has this changed?
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Just reread the previous post. Suze was refering to zip codes, not license plates.

Sorry.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

In general is the right bank more "grand" and the left bank more bohemian? Which arrondisement is closest to most of the sights?
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually I *think* (but am not absolutely certain) it's zip codes and license plates both.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Mark and Spencer's has been long gone.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Surfside, which sights do you mean? They are spread out all over... plus, depending on its exact location a hotel on one 'Bank' could be just as close to a sight on the opposite 'Bank'.

<u>Right Bank:</u>
Arc de Triomphe
Champs Elys&eacute;es
Louvre
Jardin de Tuileries, Parc Monceau
Op&eacute;ra Garnier
Madeleine
Galeries Lafayette / Printemps
Passages
Place Vendome, Place des Vosges
Mus&eacute;e Picasso
Carnavalet
&quot;Marais&quot;
Pompidou
Montmartre

<u>Left Bank:</u>
Tour Eiffel
Invalides
Mus&eacute;e d'Orsay
&Eacute;glise St Germain des Pr&eacute;s, St Sulpice
Jardin de Luxembourg
Pantheon
Mus&eacute;e de Moyen Age (Cluny)
Sorbonne
Arenes de Lut&egrave;ce
Tour Montparnasse (GREAT VIEW OF PARIS)
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut: thank you for the breakdown. From your list I can see that in 10 days I will be visiting both banks. Which arrondisement would you describe as most picturesque or quaint? I would prefer not to be in a commercial, modern area.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Have you ever toyed with www.pagesjaunes.fr? It is the Paris Yellow Pages, and has a photo of nearly every commercial building in Paris. You can look up a hotel, click on its photo, then use arrows to 'walk' to the left or right of the building, or 'cross' the street and walk it, or just point up or down the street for a long view. It's so cool, and you can get an idea of what your street looks like, and those next to it.

I think there are pockets of quaint, windy streets on both sides - that is why the Latin Qtr, St Germain and Marais are all popular areas. There are also broad avenues with grand buildings on both sides. There are big parks on both sides, too.

I think most people find it easier to shop and dine on the Left Bank, or maybe that impression is because most posters here favor staying on the Left Bank. Also there are more potentially unappealing areas on the Right Bank that you would want to avoid, ie. Pigalle, St Denis(les Halles) and usually the immediate areas around the major train stations.

The best thing is to pick a nice hotel with good comments here and Tripadvisor that is close to a metro (a block or two) and is in the 1-8 arrs, probably the 3-7th is best.

An excellent search tool is www.hotelsearch-in-paris.com - use the Advanced Search feature. You can look for hotels by arrondissements, or by how many metros from a certain metro stop, etc. TripAdvisor.com is another site with hotel reviews, always check it as well.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Hotelsearch-in-paris.com was one of my favorite tools when I was looking at hotels for my trip in August. You can select the arrondisement you want and the map shows exactly where the hotel is. I liked it because I could see where hotels were in relation to each other and also how far to the sights that I wanted to see. www.pagesjaunes.fr is also good. The one thing I noticed though is that the pictures seemed to be taken in the winter months. So if you are going down a street where there would be outdoor cafes, etc., it looks very different. It still does give a good overview of the streets.

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut, what a great toy. It lets you not only see the exact building but also to actually wander down the street!
Thanks for this fantastic tool.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM

It's not like I <i>created</i> it or something... but &quot;you're welcome&quot;..!