Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelo Maya vs Iberostar Paraiso Lindo

My family has decided for me that we are
going to the Riveria Maya next summer.

Would appreciate comments regarding the
beach and snorkeling at these two resorts,
how crowded the beach is, quality of food,
etc.

THanks FODORITES for your excellent advice.

Mark
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:32 AM

I have never stayed at either of these resorts, but I know people who have. I'm told that both resorts are excellent. Many restaurants, nice beach and fairly close to Playa Del Carmen. From what I've heard,
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:48 PM

My husband and I,our 2 children-3 and 9 and another family stayed at Barcelo Maya 2 years ago during spring break(April.)The resort was very nice,large but never crowded-the beach is beautiful- plenty of room because of its location in a protected bay/cove.Good swimming off the beach and fair snorkeling-they do have a dock with boats that will take you out to the reef.The pools are very nice and again we never felt on top of each other or other people at all.The rooms were clean and nice.We upgraded upon arrival to an ocean view room and it was definitely worth the $20 or $30 extra a day.It is a little bit of a walk from the beach/pools to the restaurants which are located in the front reception area of the resort.There are 2 restaurants out by the pools/beach for lunch and maybe dinner.The food is good-not great but certainly not bad.They have a huge buffet in the main restaurants and everything is very fresh - I think it was more a case of eating in the same place essentially 3 meals a day/7 days than anything else-even the Ritz would get old right???Anyway-I would be happy to answer any other questions-we are planning to return to Mexico next spring break'05 and I am seriously considering the Lindo also so I hope you get some feedback.I would go back to Barcelo Maya -I think in general most of the AI places down there are fairly alike(I may be way wrong)I do know that the beaches get better the farther south you go(meaning away from Cancun)Good luck!!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:12 AM

I've also stayed at the Barcelo with my family (but not he Iberostar). Teh ebach is very nice, but at certain points it is rocky in spots upon entry. There is a very long stretch of beach here, so it's easy enough to find a non-rocky spot to enter. There was never a problem getting a lounge chair in a shady spot on the beach or near the pool (which is a problem at many other resorts). As mentieond there is a dock. You can snorkel off the dock. If you bring bread, the fish will surround you. We did a little snorkelling and didn't see turtles or stingrays but other people did.

The food is decent. The Mexican restaurant basically had the same food as the buffet, but serviced restaurant style. We didn't eat at the other restarants other than the buffet places. It took a couple of visits to the dining room to get a good idea of everything that's available. In the morning they bake fresh croissants (but also have cold ones sitting out there in baskets). Once you discover the 'fresh baked; counter, don't even bother with the breads in the baskets. I find in any of these places that after 3 or 4 days, I get sick of the food. I have yet to go to an AI where that didn't happen.

My son especially liked all the sports contests they had for kids and the availability of the basketball and tennis courts. My daughter could have spent the entire day relaxing in a hammock.

This place is large and does require some walking (to get to and from your room to the beach or dining room, etc.), but everything is nicely landscaped and shaded in many areas.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:14 AM

My kids were 14 (girl) and 11 (boy) at the time we visied.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:26 AM

We stayed at the Iberostar, and although the resort was very nice, it wasn't quite up to par with what we were expecting. The food seemed constantly the same, endless buffets. And the food is very geared toward the European crowd. Even the reservation only restaurant was really disappointing. The rooms are a little disappointing as well.

One a lighter note, the beach and pool are amazing. The staff is very attentive.

I have friends that stay at a Barcelo hotel in the Dominican Republic, and said everything was amazing. The food they said was excellent.

I looked into the Barcelo option in Riveria Maya, but I believe it was a bit more expensive and remote. I think snorkeling was good though.

I have an amazing map of Riveria Maya that helped tremendously. It was a website only item. When I find it, I will let you know the website where you can purchase it. It helps to put the area in perspective, and mentions nice beaches, resorts, and snorkeling spots.