Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Baja, Mexico: To celebrate 50th B'Day: Las Ventanas Al Paraiso, Esperanza or One and Only Palmilla?

Search

Baja, Mexico: To celebrate 50th B'Day: Las Ventanas Al Paraiso, Esperanza or One and Only Palmilla?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

Ok, so 50th B'day will actually occur in 2010, but all of our trips are all planned through 2009, so here I am!

We are planning on the trip to one of these with two other couples for a total of 6 of us for my B'day in 2010, Dec 28, 2010-Jan 2nd, 2011.

Based on the following needs, which one comes the closest( or is it a matter of splitting hairs?)

These are not in a particular order:

1. Ultra luxe rooms

2. Better to get a 3 bedroom, 3 bath villa at any of these?
Does any of the properties have villas that are just too good to pass up?

3. Excellent service

4. Great food on site

5. Fabulous pool, not too crowded

6. Not too far from shopping, nightlife and other restaurants ( we will have a car)

7. Good access to beach and ocean

8. Best views

9. Most upscale

10. Access to golf and other sports.

11. Incredible spa

TA has them so close in remarks, that is hard to choose.

We want something that feels exclusive, but not bordering on boring, we need a little action.

Let me know your opinions of the three places and/or if you heard of any new properties that will be ultra luxe opening in time for 2010.

Thanks a mil....
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM

I've visited all 3, not stayed. It'd be an easy choice for me, I thought Esperanza was the most beautiful.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Frankie

In what way was it more beautiful?
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I just thought Esperanza was the most stunning, architecturally and situationally. We had a marvelous lunch there with delicious food and great service.
I thought Las Ventanas was visually least beautiful, though when we had a drink there, the service was fantastic, and I'm sure it'd be a great place to stay.
Palmilla was the most lush, lots of palm trees -- it reminded me of Hawaii, and it felt the most crowded and American of the 3 resorts, and service seemed a bit over the top (superficial).
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful, frankie, thank you!

I know you did not stay at any of them, so it would be hard to ask you about the rooms. So re: other criteria of mine; which one is closest to other restaurants, shopping, activities? From what I read so far and I may be completely mistaken, Los Cabos where Las Ventanas and Palmilla are , is more exciting than in Cabo San Lucas where Esperanza is?

Sounds like the service you received for food bev at all were great, albeit, One and Only was a bit over the top for you.

Also sounds like all the properties have beauty, but you liked the attractiveness of Esperanza the best.

Any other opinions out there?
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 05:48 AM

<b>I may be completely mistaken, Los Cabos where Las Ventanas and Palmilla are , is more exciting than in Cabo San Lucas where Esperanza is?</b>

Los Cabos is a generic term referring to the entire area (it means &quot;the capes&quot ... Cabo is one of the seven capes ... the hotels you mention are in &quot;the corridor&quot;, a less congested area between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

Your post is the first and only time I've ever heard anyone say that the corridor is &quot;more exciting&quot; than Cabo San Lucas, which is where the bars and nightlife is located. People go to the corridor hotels like Palmilla to get away from the excitement of Cabo, not the other way around.

Bill
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 07:04 AM

My vote is for the One&amp;Only Pamilla, although I had only dinner at Las Ventanas, so it's totally compare the two.

I liked the lushness of O&amp;O over the very, very barren appearance of LV. Service at both will be outstanding either way, honestly. O&amp;O is bigger, I believe, so you will get more people there. However, there are two pools - one is adults only - and the family pool is huge, that you won't feel totally overrun with people. And for looks, the O&amp;O pool is really amazing! Although finding lounge chairs together if you wander down a little late is sometimes a challenge... there is always plenty of room at the beach at all times. (And the beach is basically right next to the pool.) We did feel like there was a really big American presence there - esp lots of folks from Cali and TX. (But that makes sense, given Cabo is closer for them...) LV appeared much more subdued, not as many people wandering about, and overall much calmer/quieter.

Rooms and food at O&amp;O are amazing, honestly, and some of the best resort food I've found anywhere in the world. We did not golf while we were there, but I believe that O&amp;O has the best course in Cabo from everything I read. We also did not spa, but their fitness facility is also one of the best we've seen at a resort and the spa at least looked good....

One additional reason I'd choose O&amp;O is because of the additional over-the-top experiences they put together. We had a late dinner at C one night and got talking with the manager there. He ended up taking us through the restaurant, wine cellars, and kitchen and we discussed the decor and the menu - even got to sample a few extra things. My husband and I are foodies, so it was great for us!! And on Friday nights, a small group of guests goes out into the desert for dinner and star gazing. The desert facility is all O&amp;O - they even bring their staff and chefs out there. They also bring a professor from the local university to lead the group in the star gazing. We've done a lot of amazing things while on vacay, and that ranks near the top and those sort of extra-special experiences have made us O&amp;O fans overall - and have chosen to go to their other resorts over other brands.

Either way, you really can't go wrong. Both are very upscale - neither is head and shoulders above the other. You'll definitely have a wonderful birthday trip!
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM

I've stayed at LV twice and think the rooms are fabulous and we really enjoyed the restaurant. Never left the property. The young children around the pool area was a problem though and it was very crowded.
tripgirl did you make a final decision?
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

no decision yet as we just got back from South africa and Botswana, so my head is still filled with trip!
but I can't go wrong with any of the 3 so I will just hang in there a bit any make my decision later

Thanks for asking!

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Please let us know what you decide. Hope you had fun in Africa.... wow!