Weekend excursion from Cuernavaca, Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be staying in Cuernavaca for part of the summer (work related). Our 1st anniversary will occur while we are there.

Any suggestions of where to spend a couple of nights? Looking for a romantic place that we can just relax - in/near Cuernavaca or even somewhere that we can travel to by public transportation. Never been there before so not sure where to even look. Looking to spend around $150-200/night if possible. I'm not looking for lavish...just unique to the area - memorable for our time there.

Let me know if you need more info to be able to answer.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Either stay and eat at Las Mananitas in Cuernavaca itself or go to Taxco. I like Hotel Los Arcos there.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM

I was going to suggest Las Mananitas as well. We stayed in a private house about 2 blocks from last there last March, and had drinks there one evening. It's absolutely gorgeous. No idea what the rooms would be like, but it was a real experience to have drinks and snacks on the terrace, with peacocks wandering around trying to get close enough to the table to steal some peanuts! (I'm someone who has a fear - probably irrational - of birds, but I did find this kind of amusing.)

For a special dinner, we went to La Gaia. Food was pretty good, service was excellent. The setting is absolutely beautiful. It's in a former mansion that was owned by a Mexican movie star. The dining area is around the swimming pool, which has a Diego Rivera tiled mural on the bottom. I had a blackberry daquiri which was fabulous. Prices were high for Mexico, but not especially expensive for Toronto. And it was a really nice experience.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I was in Cuernavaca about 11 years ago (in high school) and had a dinner at Las Mananitas. That's definitely on the list (probably a few times) while we're there. Someone suggested going to Acapulco for a weekend, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get there (distance, transportation, etc).
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
TahitiTams

Also would suggest Las Mananitas and Taxco is wonderful as well..I don't remember the name of the hotel we stayed at but it overlooked the gorgeous church and there was a restaurant below..
There is a famous cave close to all of this called "Las Grutas" and it has a restaurant there that is wonderful..it was years ago but very memorable..
sorry I don't remember the name.
Cuernavaca is lovely!

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM

I agree with most replies. Las Mañanitas is the place to have a romantic dinner and it is also a great place to stay overnight. I celebrated my first year anniversary here 5 years ago, and loved it. It is also consider in the top 5 boutique hotels of all of Mexico. Taxco is a not to miss town to visit, with all of its winding cobble stone streets leading on top to the church filled with gold leaf. Here you will find good restaurants and great silver shopping. I also recommend to go to Puebla/Cholula. It is a very colonial city with a wonderful downtown. Here you will also find some of the best food of all of Mexico. A big part of Mexican cousine comes from Puebla like the mole was invented here by a nun. I here las grutas are great also, and last time I was here one of my wife's relatives that lives here took us to a close town where they have discover some Mummies, the name escapes me, just ask around. As far as Acapulco, I think is a great idea, but also research Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. I here both places are a great romantic escape. I believe that If you get a luxury bus from Mexico City straight to Acapulco, it makes it in four and 1/2 hours, so if you took a bus from Cuernavaca to Acapulco it should take one less hour, about 3 and 1/2 hours. Never been to either resort town, but I hear Acapulco has great nightlife and great hotels, and Zihuatanejo has its sister town next door, Ixtapa, and between both you get the best of both worlds, one is very exciting in active in more modern, while the other sister town is more lay back and relaxing with old Mexico charm. I don't think you can't go wrong with either resort. One last think, I know Mexico City has a bad rap, some it deserving, but definitely a lot of it overblown. I belive it is one of the most excited city and with tons of activities from great pyramids, to Chalupas on Xochimilco, a wonderful Park in Chapultepec, a great downtown/Zocalo, to some of the best and most expensive neighborhoods in the world. Give it a try, I know you will love it, just use common sense and be careful, just like you would in any large city in the US or in the world. Good luck in Cuernavaca! Go with an open mind, because Mexico is still a Third world country with some proverty in all big cities and towns, but it is making great strives to come out and show the world that it is an exciting and culture rich country, and extremely friendly if you treat them the same as you would love to be treated.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Tepotzlan is a great place to spend the weekend.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful suggestions. I was in Mexico City and Cuernavaca over 10 years ago and loved our visit. Great food everywhere we went.

Anyone familiar with Hacienda San Gabriel de las Palmas? It's a small boutique hotel about 30 minutes from Cuernavaca. It looks really unique, but concerned about not having A/C in mid to late May. Any thoughts or experience to share?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM

I am not familiar with Las Palmas, but I hear great things about the hotel, it was going to be my next option instead of Las Mañanitas. One thing I do know that Cuernavaca in May is extremely hot and humid. I am prety sure you can ask for a fan in your room.