Bahia Principe Tulum post April 2003

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the following comment and was wondering if anyone else had comments. We are booked here for Nov. 2003

Message: I really hate to crash everyone's opinion of the Bahia Principe Tulum but here goes the story: My husband and I first stayed there for a week in October of 2001 and had a fabulous time. The beach was relatively clean but the rocks required aqua shoes be worn while in the water. The staff was so outgoing and friendly that we couldn't wait to get back. We went back in December of 2002 and the rocks were cleared away so no cutting feet and didn't wear aqua shoes once. Again, staff was wonderful, etc. Upon our return April of 2003, we found a completely different situation. The bus ride took 2 1/2 hours with 7 stops along the way at different hotels. We requested rooms in certain villas and all were booked (I believe they close some of them because the resort was definitely not crowded). Rocks on the beach were so bad we spent almost no time at the beach. The pools were the only choice left; however, the filtration system broke down and parts of the pool were actually brown. It seemed the staff had no interest in their jobs - just played the games (volleyball, etc) and even Victor, our staff buddy was planning on joining a new resort. There were children no older than 12 walking around with half empty tequila bottles in their hands (several parents were close by) and little ones were just plain drunk. I have requested that Apple Vacations lower this resort from a 5 golden apple to a 4 at best. This is not a place I'll return to. We will spend the end of January at the Royal Hideaway, but no children under 16 are allowed. I agree with the Cancun people, I much prefer the Riviera Maya to Cancun. I have also heard the Palladium is excellent but have never stayed there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thought you'd like to hear from me before booking. Good luck!

Many thanks.

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 03:38 PM
KE

We went to Bahia Principe Tulum in August 2003 and found everything to be wonderful. No children walking around drunk or with tequila bottles! The staff was wonderful and did anything for you. Our room was kept immaculate as well as all of the grounds. Yes, the beach is rocky in spots, but I would not stop coming here just because of that. We had a wonderful trip and can't imagine seeing anything like what was posted previously.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:38 AM

We stayed on the Akumal side in Feb. 2003 and we loved every minute. I would not go back only because we like to stay at different resorts, but we thoroughly enjoyed the Akumal side last winter.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi there, I had almost given up. Thanks for the great responses. I am again looking forward to going.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi KE,

Did you notice any awful smell when you were at the Tulum. This has come up a few times from other Fodorites.

Thanks.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 09:41 AM
KE

Yes, at times we did notice a smell. It did smell like sewer but I've read that it's actually something like dishwater mixed with fertilizer. We were in bldg. 12 and we noticed it late at night and early morning. During the day, with the breeze it was no problem. However, we did not spend much time in our room so the odor didn't bother us. I would again ask to be put in that same bldg. knowing that the odor is there because it was so close to the beach, pool and snack bar. Personally, I wouldn't let that put you off staying here. The resort is wonderful and I'm hoping so much to return there next summer with my family.