Search

Help us find a unique place

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help us find a unique place

My husband and I are in need of a week away, I'd like to try Tulum, perhaps a beach Cabana, with our own bathroom clean, good breakfast, nice beach, can anyone help us> Or a nice resort not to over crowded and one that you do not need to take a bank loan out for a week away! Like a Hidden Gem
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM

www.ochotulum.com
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM

We stayed in Tulum last year at a place called Zulum - we enjoyed it. A lot of people like Tierras del Sol too. There are several places in Tulum that fit the bill. Check out www.locogringo.com and www.tulum.info. Both websites have great forums where you can get lots of info on this area of Mexico.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response. Some of them have a 60% discount on per night, however you have to book on line and it has to be 24,48, or 72 hours in advance only. My worry is that we would book our flight book 24 hours in advance to get the 60% and there would be nothing available! I would much rather do this than pay the $350.00 per night in advance. Becasue on top of this you are responsible for your meals and drinks. This just seems so much nicer than the resorts that are crowded, water down drinks and the food is sometimes rather of poor quailty. I have been twice to the Mayan and it is great, the El Dorado Seaside Suites are incrediable very pricy, about $1780.00 per week per person!! WE just a quick get away without spending a fortune.
Did you enjoy the places to eat in the area? Is it safe in this area, being it is out of a resort where it can be safer? I thought we'd fly to Cancun, rent a car, and drive down to Tulum and see waht we could find! sometimes they will give a better price if it is cash! What else can you tell me about Zulum, are they clean right on the beach? is breakfast included. did you have your own washroom? Any info you can give me will help my Husbandmake a choice. Hope to hear back soon. Ps we are planning for Mar.20-09 that is around Spring Break so it may be all booked up?

Thanks patty
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Yes, Zulum was clean and each room has it's own bathroom. We stayed in a second story beach front unit. The view was awesome. Breakfast came with the room and was good. We had dinner there several nights and the food was good to very good. We were happy with the restaurant on-site. We ventured out to several other restaurants and never had a bad meal. You will definitely need a car in Tulum (IMO anyway) it is not like Playa where you can walk pretty munch anywhere.

I don't think that Tulum is a "spring break" destination. We were there last year from March 13th through the 22nd and it wasn't busy (well maybe it was busy for Tulum it was our first time spending our entire time there).

The webiste for Zulum is www.zulumhotels.com - but like I said there are several other places that are just as nice or nicer depending on what you want to spend. Ana y Jose's is right next door to Zulum and looks very nice - but it costs more $$ too. So it is all in what you are looking for.

We have been to this area of Mexico ten times (headed back to Playa in April - so that will make it eleven!)- Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum and they all are great - it all depends what you are looking for. This year we were looking for a "budget vacation" so we are headed back to Playa - no need for a rental car, great small hotels for not a lot of $$ ($80/night is what we are paying this year), nice beach clubs and lots of great restaurants and "watering holes" within walking distance. Last year we decided Playa was "too busy" and wanted a more relaxing, laid back vacation and we ended up in Tulum. If we want to "snorkel our brains out" we will head to Akumal.

We have never stayed in an AI -I guess you could say we are anti-AI. There are just so many great places to eat and drink and people to meet - I would hate to limited to my resort.

Check out the websites I mentioned - if you are interested in the Playa arean - definitely check out www.playa.info (same people who created the tulum.info site) Great resource.