Backpack Help

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpack Help

Hi all, ill be backpacking through central america late this year till next spring. I'm having trouble finding the perfect backpack and need some help.

Here's my criteria:
I need it to be small enough for a carry on (35L-46L I think max is 22x14x9)

Some sort design to keep the back cool

Zippered access, preferabley from the side(I will often be leaving it at a hostel and I see a lot of the typical backpacker packs with top loading access that is only closed with those snap on clips

The more erganomicly designed for packing the better too obviously.

If any one has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 09:45 AM

You might check ebags.com. We've gotten some good bags there. Do you have an REI in your area? They have a lot of good outdoor gear as well.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM

I've researched this heavily and vetted my top contenders and the information is below. You can't go wrong with either of these well made, nicely organized, great value packs; both fit your criteria:
http://www.rei.com/product/809157/re...40-travel-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/803307/os...46-travel-pack

I have a terrific Gregory women's pack for actual backpacking but recently replaced my trusty Columbia Pakmandu which I've used for 10 years (no longer available). It's a strange shape and not well organized and I travel so much I felt I deserved an upgrade. In November 2010 the Vagabond came on sale at the same time that REI was offering 20% off one regular priced item to members. I purchased both the Vagabond and the Osprey Porter 46 and took them home for a complete vetting with real packing and hikes up the hill from my house to assess comfort. My needs are specific to carry-on travel since I already have a different pack for backcountry pack trips and there's no replacement for actually trying a pack to be sure it fits you comfortably, but I'll summarize my findings below.

PORTER - Held more, easier to get into, a bit more of a classic carry-on shape, better compression system, a little simpler but still with nice organization features, similar to the Vagabond in that regard. The suspension system is not as nice as the Vagabond, both in terms of waist strap support and the part of the bag that lies against your back. The carry handles are a bit nicer than on the Vagabond.

VAGABOND - A bit smaller, narrower design, flap/zip system a tiny bit awkward by comparison, excellent suspension/strap system. It's a bit longer than the traditional carry-on measurement but I've made dozens of trips with Vagabond owners (relatives and friends I've recommended them to) and I've never seen one refused as a carry-on. In 2009 I lead a group of 15 people to Guatemala and nearly half had Vagabonds because they were closing out a very slightly different model and cut the price in half right before Christmas that year - no problems, everyone loved them. Nice organization features and a terrific suspension system all around, though it's a bit harder to stow away than the Porter's. This version is very different than the original which my son uses; I travel with the slightly smaller Hitchhiker version of the original (just got back from a long week-end trip to the east coast with it). The current one is improved in many ways, especially with a mild compression system and the included rainfly/cover, though it seemed a little awkward to use and wear the bag, almost designed more for carrying the bag with handles and for checking to keep the bag safer.

In the end I returned the Vagabond because the suspension/back system was plenty comfortable on the Porter for travel (better than the bag I've loved for years) and the general ease/opening/size/shape considerations for my traveling made it better for me (size was an important factor). I absolutely LOVE IT - really an amazing bag.

The eBags Weekender is popular with travelers:
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/w...roductid=56582

My brother- and sister-in-law traveled with those when we traveled with them for 3 weeks in Belize in 2009. The design and organizational features were very nice and the price is great. The suspension system is pretty dismal, so I wouldn't pick that one if you think you'll actually be wearing your pack a lot. Great value for the sort of travel where you're mainly carrying it in brief stretches but sometimes I'm off the track enough I walk a lot with mine.

Hope that helps! Happy trails!
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 02:40 AM

BackPacker.com

Gearfinder for best deals

For most including me medium pack of quality works well

Usually 45 linear inches will get u aboard most carriers so no bag fees

Prehaps wheeled if u will be doing lots of paved surfaces

Onebag.com good info

Deals on shopzilla.com ebay amazon for me
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

We don't have a REI in the area but a few other camping type places. Thanks for all the Info! I'm going shopping this saturday hopefuly success will be on my side!
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM

They have a great return policy - you could order several and return whatever doesn't fit well or suit you. Or better yet, maybe you'll find just what you need locally.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:37 AM

A note about fit. Try to put weight in whatever you buy and pack it around a bit to be sure it's comfortable, especially for an extended trip. Sometimes you feel whatever's packed at the back and that can be a hassle/discomfort.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:51 AM

I took hopefulist's advice and got the Osprey Porter for a recent trip to Costa Rica. The bag was perfect for this trip and was roomy enough for me to pack 8 days worth of outfits, 2 pair of shoes and toiletries. It converts easily between backback and carryon and I got several comments from other travelers about how noce the bag was.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Good to hear I'm not the only one! It's pretty much the perfect bag for me. I also love how you can use the straps to cinch it completely flat for storing - sweet!