Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Back from Buenos Aires-- thanks for all the advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Just back from Buenos Aires. Thanks to everyone for all the information they gave me on hotels and restaurants after I posted a request for Info. The Plaza Marriott was FAB! Great rooms and service. LOVED Buenos Aires,especially San Telmo market, Recoleta cemetery, and all the brilliant shops. Feel like booking a flight to go back asap!
Thanks again to all fodorites that responded to my original post.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM

How about telling us a little more, when time permits?

What did your parents like most about our town?
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM

SO glad you had fun and want to come back...tell us more!! por favor
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Well, we were only there for three days but we managed to fit in quite a bit. We had a day at the San Telmo market on Sunday and spent hours browsing the stalls, listening to tango music (excellent; even bought their cd and it's great) and watching two dancers. Also bought a total of 7 paintings (!), 5 of which were by a local artist called Jorge Barboza. His work is SOOO good and incredibly reasonable. I thought the standard of some of the art on display was outstanding-- far better than many similar 'local art' fairs in Ireland (my home country) and other countries. Also picked up alot of gifts and crafts at San Telmo. We spent the day there and it was just buzzing and some of the buildings were just beautiful.I think this was mine and my parents' highlight. We also shopped in the main centre of BA and again, were amazed at the value and quality. We only wished we'd brought an empty suitcase with us! Aside from much shopping, we checked out the new port area and had a lovely meal at Bide (or Bice? Italian restaurant). The area was very picturesque. From there we walked to the ecological area. Incredible to think how fast Nature reclaims land left unused. Fascinating. We also travelled to the cemetery at Recoleta and it reminded me of Pere Lachiase in Paris or New Orleans' St Louis cemeteries. Finally, we did the very touristy thing of going to a tango show at Cafe Tortoni. It was alot of fun and the venue is just gorgeous.
On a more serious note, we were there during a demo to mark the 30th anniversary of the start of the Dirty War so that was kind of sobering..
Overall, I must say we were bowled over by B.A. It's so vibrant, friendly, sophisticated and everyone we met (including all taxi drivers) was so nice. My parents loved it-- the trip was a 70th birthday present for my dad and he says it's been the most memorable birthday ever.My dad is keen to go back and check out other parts of Argentina (he's Welsh so would love to check out the Welsh towns in Patagonia).So, I may post up requests for information on that at a later date!
I am definitely hoping going to come back and check out more of the city.It ranks up with Paris, New York and Barcelona in my top 5 cities. I only wish the flight wasn't sooo long.
Also visited Chile on this trip but Buenos Aires wins hands down! Thanks again for all your advice and help!
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Thank you for a great report, dogyoungone!

Glad to hear we beat our Chilean brothers! LOL!!!

When should we expect you back?

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Hey, we just got back from Chile and Argentina today!!! We also loved Buenos Aires and stayed at the Plaza Mariott (maybe we saw u there)!!

We also went to San Telmo Market, Cafe Tortoni, La Boca, shopping, shopping, and more shopping....Ate at some fantastic restaurants (the Green Bamboo was one of them in the Palermo district...)

We also went to Baraloche, which was also gorgeous...The last 3 days we went to Iguaza falls and it was absolutely fantastic.

AS well on this trip, we went to Easter Island...and really loved it too. (stayed at hotel Taura).

Stayed in Santiago for a few nights and also went to Puerto Varas, which was lovely.
While there took a day trip to Chiloe Island...it was just beautiful and was a great day.

All in all the trip was great, although Chile is a little boring, we still loved it1!

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM

dogyoungone ( <i> I would love to know the origin of that screename!</i
You did indeed see a lot!!
I agree, Recoleta Cemetery reminds me of Pere LaChaise too!
How long is the trip from Ireland?
When we moved here last April , the flight was 15 hours...ugh! Makes me hesitate to plan another trip yet, I am just getting over that one !
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Definitely will be back as soon as I can save up the money! Our flight was 14 hours from Paris to Santiago (we got a Lanchile flight a few days later to Buenos Aires). I am not sure if there's a flight from Paris to Buenos Aires, but our original flight, including the flight from Ireland +the waiting around in airports, led to a journey time of over 24hours! And all that on the abominable Air France!! Awful airline. But I think Buenos Aires might be worth all the travel horror! Next time I will explore BA in more depth and then maybe parts of Patagonia etc, so I am sure to post up requests for more information. Actually if anyone out there has visited the Welsh colonies in Argentina, I'd be interested in reading your comments.
Thanks again
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM

We were there at the same time also. I agree that the demonstration was sobering. We stayed right near you at the Amerian Buenos Aires Park Hotel. Were going to stay at the Marriott, but at the last minute they decided not to honor the rate they had quoted. It certainly looked nice, though.

When you get back to Argentina - make sure you get up to Iguazu Falls. It is well worth the trip as it puts all other falls I have seen to shame (Niagara, Victoria and many other smaller ones). I couldn't believe the power of it - it was overwhelming at times and the water level was down!

The markets were great. I left much of my money there, lol! I can't wait to wear my new rhodochrosite jewelry to work tomorrow!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM

I agree with u on Iguazu falls, they are simply amazing, i still get goosebumps when i think of them!!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:25 PM

Wonderful... I'm so happy it worked out for you. I leave for BA tomorrow. I'm staying at the Marriott. I've noted all the restaurant recommendations...
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:44 PM

Julie,
I'll look forward to hearing about the Marriott. I'll be staying there a few nights at the end of my June trip to Buenos Aires.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 03:21 AM

I love the Marriott. I've stayed there several times and rate it outstanding for service, location, and general old world feel (plus, it's 3 blocks from my office). Enjoy!
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks! I can hardly wait to get there.