Search

BA apt--how to choose??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA apt--how to choose??

I've been looking at the apt threads here, and I'm still lost!

I'm visiting Argentina in Sept/early Oct for the first time, and I'd like to spend my last week (Sept 28-Oct 5), which is in Buenos Aires, in an apt. I'll have been traveling around the country and staying at luxurious (for me!) hotels, so I'd really like to save some money on accomodations in BA. Plus I'd love to be able to prepare a few meals, make my tea in the morning, etc.

I've looked at bytargentina, Buenos Aires Habitat, and apartmentsba. Apartmentsba has only 1 apt under $450 for a week (a studio); bytargentina and Buenos Aires Habitat have lots of apts, with byt being much less expensive than BAHabitat.

How does one make a choice? All the apts sound lovely (of course; that's called marketing).

I'm looking at Recoleta, because I hear that's a good neighborhood. I'm 53, traveling alone, quiet. I want clean, no tobacco smell (I'm very allergic and it really, really kicks up my asthma), good light to read by, shower with hot water, microwave or stove to make a simple meal... I'd appreciate a radio and TV, but those aren't musts. Quiet would be nice, but I live in a noisy urban environment, so it's not a requirement. Simple needs...

Is any agency more reputable than another? I've written to byt and BAHabitat; BAHabitat has replied but didn't answer my questions, just asked me to make a firm reservation (could have been a form response). The apt I'm considering with them is at
Address: Recoleta, Montevideo St bet. Libertador Ave & Posadas St.
Link: http://www.buenosaireshabitat.com/ap...ails.php?id=94

Apartmentsba has a "luxury studio" at Larrea/French that sounds nice.

bytargentina has lots and lots of apts in Recoleta that are very inexpensive. They haven't responded to my email (yet).

My arrival is definitely going to be after "office hours," so I'm very concerned about working with an agency that will be responsive, that will make arrangements to get me into the apt. I'm flying back from El Calafate the evening of Sept 28, a Sunday, with arrival around 9 pm. I know that's not the best time to be arriving for an apt.

Any advice? How would you choose? Please help because I need to make a decision soon!

Cindy
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Hi, Cindy!

I would research byt a little more, maybe here: http://tinyurl.com/nw9f4

Just write byt in the search feature and you'll get a lot of info.

Then, you can write to a poster who calls herself "karmalaw" who knows all there is to know about female solo travel to Argentina and is a fan of byt.

I'm rather worried by your time of arrival, particularly on a Sunday. If I were you, I would go that night to a motel near the local airport. http://www.microtelinn.com.ar/index_bsas.htm
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Remember you should NOT take the cabs which wait in line outside our local airport.

PDXWindJammer should also be able to help and raquel_z is another authority on female solo travel to BA. Tell them avrooster suggested you write to them. They probably won't answer! Just kidding. LOL!!!

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM

raquel reportandome!!!!

Cindy,

I would say that the problem of no smoke smell in the room may be an issue since none of the apartments I know of specifically state that they are non smoking, so there may be a residue of smoke smell.

Given your needs, I really don't think you have to look at ApartmentsBA. They are on the upscale side.

I did not rent from BYT Argentina, but visited a friend's apartment. She had a studio in Recoleta and it has everything she needed and she liked the location. Actually when I was deciding there was one from BYT on my "short list" but by the time I got around to deciding, it was rented for some of the period I needed and I wasn't about to move.

I rented from a company called Adelsur. (www.adelsur.com) I wanted a one bedroom with pull out bed as a friend was coming to join me for part of the time. I also wanted an Internet connection. I enjoyed the apartment I chose.

In most cases, the apartments look pretty much like the pictures and have whatever the write up says. All will have a TV and some a radio.

if you have any questions, you can email me at raquel_z_2001 at yahoo.ca

Good Luck
raquel

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Well, Cindy, that's great, you didn't even have to write to Raquel through TA, she volunteered!

Raquel: what do you think of the question of getting to a rented apartment very late on Sunday night?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:36 PM

I agree with Av that since you are arriving at 9.00 PM and therefore probably won't get to the apartment much before 10.00 PM - it probably will be an issue. However, I arrived at about 4 PM - so I don't have personal experience on that.

But ask the companies you are considering anyway just to see what they say.

raquel
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to avrooster and Raquel for the info and suggestions!

avrooster, I've been reading that other board you suggested; it's a bit difficult to follow some of the discussion as many posts have been removed. Hard to tell whether some of those posts might have had relevant info or not.
In general, byt seems to get good reviews.

A real person wrote me from byt, actually acknowledging my questions and queries, so right now it's the high agency on my list.

More investigating to do...
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Great! I answered your other apartments post.

Why don't you write to Karmalaw? She may actually know some of those apartments you are asking about.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Since you like real persons.... Karmalaw is a definite REAL person One of a kind....
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Cindy, we used BYT Argentina in April and we were very pleased. No compaints at all.
We told them what we required and they were very good and recommended a few places that would meet our needs.
Then we chose which one we wanted, in Recoleta.
Believe me, if you are on a budget, you truly don't have to spend a lot.
Our apartment was about $250 and it was fine.
I was a bit nervous because it was so inexpensive, but we were very happy. It was a bit worn, but clean and comfortable.

I can't really recommend it to you.. I can't say for sure if there was a smoke smell. None that we noticed.. also there was an all night party one night at a neighbouring apartment. But I don't suppose that could have been predicted.

Good luck.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM

Take a look at Art Suites. They are in the Recoleta area.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM

Another endorsement for Byt - I used them last year and was very pleased. The one bedroom on Calle French and Scalabrini Ortiz was great - super clean, modern, well located and equipped. Email responses sometimes took a day or two but all my queries were answered.
As for the late arrival, it may not be a show stopper. Many apartment buildings have a sort of night watchman. It may be possible for you to be let in by the watchman and the agency staff to meet you the next morning.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses! I'm leaning toward byt, and I've posted on that other forum for KarmaLaw. She does have definitive opinions! (But her attitude as to what's important seems to mirror mine in many ways, so I'm very interested to see if she has any insights.)
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Cindy: I suggested you PM Karmalaw, through the TA forum. Do you know what I mean?
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi, avrooster! I've sent a PM to karmalaw at TA but haven't heard anything yet. She may be away, as she doesn't seem to have posted for over a week.
I'm starting to feel like you're my personal counselor! You respond to all my posts--thank you!
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Well, Cindy, let's wait a little to see if Karmalaw answers your PM.

I'm not helpful for this kind of question because, as I'm a local, I have never rented an apartment short-term and, besides, I have lived out of town for over 30 years.

On the other hand, Karmalaw is a female solo traveler who often comes to BA and always stays in apartments.

You can also PM raquel_z who is always very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm sure you have seen her posts. Say hi from me.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Hi Cindy,

its me again.

Not sure if you have heard from Karma yet. However, I am quite sure that the BYT apartments that she really liked - both for location and for the apartments themselves were the ones on Charcas and Guise - in Palermo not too far from Alto Palermo shopping centre. Actually I stayed in in that area. And one of the things that did help sell me on the apartment was Karma's advice that the area was good - very convenient and a real "neighbourhood". The few people I know who rented from BYT have been happy. But part of it is about expectations and what is important to you.

I don't want to speak for Karma, but I think that since she come to Bs As so often, she has established her own contacts now with respect to apartments and may not be renting from the more "touristy " one these days.

Funny thing about Buenos Aires - it seems that whatever neighbourhood people choose, they usually end up enjoying it. They find things - be it shops, or parks or interesting cafes or building - because they are everywhere and get a feel for their neighbourhood.

As an aside, there is currently a thread on TA about a couple looking for an apartment - and the one they like best is no smoking (which for them is a problem - but for you would be a bonus...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._District.html

good luck
raquel
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Cindy:
An apartment is a very good solution at Buenos Aires. I have used http://www.apartment-rent-clau.com.ar/ and http://www.4rentargentina.com/ and found nice places to stay with my family. I had no problems getting there late, but I told them before hand.
The best neighborhood depends on what your interests are. If you like bohemian places go to San Telmo's neighborhood; very close to Plaza de Mayo, Casa Rosada and Puerto Madero. The most expensive places are at Puerto Madero; very modern. Palermo is excellent and residential, with great bars and restaurants. Recoleta is nice and so is San Nicolas.
Public transportation is good at Buenos Aires. Look for an apartment near one of the Metro lines. When you get to the city, buy a metro and bus guide, they will be helpful.
Some hints:
- Argentina cares a lot for tourists; the agencies have to be registered and have tough standars to fulfill to be able to operate.
- Look at prices carefully; most of them are given in argentinian currency (Arg$3.2/US$). Non argentinian visitors get lower prices (no taxes to pay).
- Go to a "Milonga", places where people dance tango (Not a tango show). Niño Bien is one of the best.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Well, Cindy, Raquel has provided her valuable input, as another female solo traveler who frequently stays in apartments in BA.

She has been awarded by TA the title of "destination expert for Costa Rica". Strangely, not for BA.

If Karmalaw remains absent from the forums, Raquel should be able to answer most or all of your questions. So, you can ask here or PM her through TA.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Cindy, I read this thread again and saw that Raquel gave you her e-mail, so you can ask her directly.