BA Apartment Rental

Jul 9th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

BA Apartment Rental

Family of three (Mom, Dad & Teenager) planning to rent apartment (via bytargentina?) for X-Mas week. Have reviewed this board but can't decide between Palermo (Soho?) and San Telmo. Looking for local neighborhood "feel," restaurants etc. vs shopping & night life but also concerned about safety. Minimal Spanish but very comfortable in urban environment. Would appreciate any general tips on one area relative to the other and also on apartment rental agencies. Thanks.
Jul 9th, 2008, 11:41 AM

BYT is OK and I would suggest Palermo.

Have a great time in our town.
Jul 10th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

AvRooster: Thanks for your reply. Not to be obsessive, but which section of Palermo would you recommend? Again, interested in a neighborhood feel, local restaurants etc. vs "glitz." First time in BA so I am really trying to understand diffences between various districts. Also, is Christmas/New Years very busy? -- in other words, would you think apartments get booked early (now?) for that time? Thanks again.
Jul 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Certainly not the expert AV is, but I can share my experience with you. We were looking for an apt for November timeframe. Started looking at various rental agencies about a month or so ago. Some places were booked, but much available. There are a huge # of apts available for rental in BA so you should find plenty to choose from. If u do a search here on BA apts, you will get a weatlth of info on various agencies. Also try Trip Advisor as their BA forum is pretty active.
On a previous trip we stayed in Recoleta and then Palmero Soho and loved both, but our preference was for Palermo Soho. Both areas have lots of shopping, nightlife and restaurants. Cabs are cheap so you can easily get around the city. This trip we will stay in PS and also in San Telmo at the beginning of the trip. If this is your first trip to BA, I'd suggest Palermo Soho with a visit to ST (esp for the Sunday antiques market).
Jul 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM

brk01: I have always lived in Argentina and have lived in the suburbs outside of BA for over 30 years, which means I don't have the answer to your question about which section of Palermo would be better for you.

Yestravel has given you great advice and maybe drdawggy will bestow upon you the immense privilege of his opinion. If not, I'll "prompt" him. LOL!!!

Beyond the kidding (the temptation of which I cannot resist), what I mean is that that part of your question requires the input of fellow tourists, rather than that of local residents. OK?

Yes, I would say late December is very busy and I suggest you book ASAP.

Have a great time in our town.

Jul 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, yestravel & AV. Just the kind of guidance I was looking for. Flights booked so now it's on to the apartment search.