Search

BA Apartment Location Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA Apartment Location Help

Hello -

I'm new to this forum, but have picked up some great advice on Argentina from everyone! I'm hoping someone can help provide some more advice on apartment locations...

I'm headed to BA in February and have narrowed my search down to two different flats...does anyone know if they are both in Palermo? or even Palermo Soho? From what I hear, Soho is supposed to be fantastic...so I've been hoping to stay in that area.

Option 1: Oro and Beruti (through ByT)

or

Option 2: Darregueyra St. bet. Guatemala St. & Paraguay St. (through BA Habitats)

Appreciate any help!
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 02:17 AM

Darregueyra St. bet. Guatemala St. & Paraguay St is located in Palermo Soho. It appears the apartment is near Miravida Soho Botique Hotel....about 7 blocks from Plaza Serrano(also called Cortazar), which is the central part of Palermo Soho....

The Oro location is in a part of Palermo often called "Palermo Nuevo," and is about six blocks further away from the center of Palermo Soho than the Darregueyra apartment.

Both apartments are well located...but since your preference is for Palermo Soho, the Darregueyra property would be the top choice...
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks drdawwgy! Appreciate the help. Didn't realize there was a Palermo Nuevo..it seems that it's still a good back-up.

Since you're an expert - thought I might ask...have you heard much about tours from BA to Iguazu?

I definitely want to spend a few days in Iguazu...but is it best to book on my own? I was hoping to find a tour that would help with the booking of flights/hotels/transfers and offer a tour of the park and falls. I've heard of Wow Argentina, and reached out the them (though I feel they may be higher end than I can afford)...but any other suggestions on tours/logistics would be a huge help!!

Thanks again-
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM

I'm using a local travel agent in BA that comes highly praised on this board and I'd have to agree, she's great. I know that she can arrange flights as well as lodging and tours, and all within your price range, just let her know what that would be.

Isable: contact@buenosaires
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM

Susanna, I'm afraid that Isabel's correct e-mail is: [email protected]
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM

Do you really need a tour guide to go to Iguazu?
You can book a flight from BA to Iguazu, stay at the Sheraton which is IN the park, you can see the falls from the hotel. You can take yourself on your own tour of the grounds, falls or go with one that is there. You can get a car to take you to the Brazil side if you want to do that, and come back in the same day.
Our friends have done this and stayed one night or two if you want to stretch it out.

I would like to say that Palermo Viejo, Soho and Hollywood are all easily walkable.. from one to the other... it is all just Palermo broken up into little sections.
Do get a Buenos Aires map , it will be very helpful for you with planning the trip as well as getting around here when you arrive
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips!

Susanna - thanks for the info on Isabel. I'll definitely reach out to her.

Scarlett - to your point about booking it on our own...I thought about that, and have been considering it. But since I'm so unfamiliar with the area, I thought it might be easier to have someone handle the airfare/transfers/hotel, so the whole excurision is wrapped up in a nice bow for me. And I've heard that you definitely want to take a tour once you get there - I want to make sure I get the full experience.

Do you guys think I'm better off handling it on my own? Any tour companies you've heard are good options once I'm up there? Also - have you heard anything about tour companies handling visas for US visitors? I find that hard to believe that they would handle securing the Brazilian visa...but someone mentioned there are some tour companies that do it?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM

Yeah, I think you can do it yourself.
But -- if you are interested , Cintia is an agent a friend of mine used.. I think it is
http://www.wowargentina.com/home.php

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM

Hi LorRan,

There is nothing wrong with taking a tour and having it all arranged for you, if that is your preference.

Last year I greatly enjoyed making all the arrangements from the US to fly from BA to Iguazzu on Lan [2 nights/3 days] reserved a hotel in Puerto de Iguazzu (the Sheraton is easier and more convenient to the park, so I think you would prefer that)and followed the oh-so-easy to take tours by foot-path and train on the Arg. side or by bus on the Brazilian side. Really, no worries, no stress and we moved at our own pace and pleasure. And it was a pleasure. Enjoy yourselves. ~MarnieWDC
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM

I used Isabel on my last trip to book air on LAN...and booked my own hotel from the Sheraton website. I did not schedule any tours...as noted above since the Sheraton is located inside the park, it is easier to do your own tour at your own pace. I booked the zodiac in the Sheraton lobby...and a zip line experience I booked on my own as well.

About Palermo..Palermo is the largest of the 47 or so neighborhoods in Buenos Aires...some areas are more distant than others....Palermo Nuevo is close to either Soho or Hollywood...the only real difference is the style of architecture is more modern in Nuevo.