B.A. Visit

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 07:47 PM
Fred Sullivan

B.A. Visit

We will be visiting friends of ours in B.A. in January. This is a first time visit. We are going in January because the children are out of school then. We will be staying with our friends in Vicente Lopez, north of the city. Any advice on saftey and what kind of currencey to bring? Also what about documents and health Insurance papers? We will be visiting and touring there for two weeks. Thanks

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:25 AM
Fred

Hi, it's me again. I hear credit cards are accepted. Shall we take dollars,pesos and travelers checks as well as credit cards? If I use dollars. I hear I will get change in pesos. Do most places know the exchange rate, so we don't get "ripped" off? What are some nice places to see and take our friends to dinner? I heard MR.TANGO is nice. Has anyone been there? And what other places are a "must see." We want to go to Colonia,Uruguay, and maybe Montevideo,too. Thanks.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 08:22 AM
Roy

We are just back from BA.
The areas we were in -- the center, Recoleta, Palermo and Belgrano seemed completely safe and secure - maybe more than many US cities.
We found using ATMs (called Banelco there) was best for obtaining pesos. I think that if you were using dollars in stead of credit cards in restaurants and stores, the exchange would likely not be nearly as good.
WE had a great time - prices are absolutely unbelievable.
I'm sure you will enjoy it - but that will be mid-summer!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:37 AM
Fred

Thanks for your input Roy. So,pesos and credit cards are best. I thought there would be trouble with dollars and getting change back! What sites did you enjoy seeing. Did you get over to Uruguay? We are glad to hear that it is safe. How warm does it get in late January? Fred

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
info

Fred,

January is usually around the low 30s, and less humid than Houston, but still humid. Bring dollars, or credit cards, or use ATM's. Do not exchange pesos for US$ in USA, you will get a way better rate here. Colonia in Uruguay is a good day trip. You will find plenty of info about the best places to visit in previous posts.

Welcome to Argentina!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:46 AM
paul

I recommend taking some cash USD with you and exchanging for pesos in a banco de cambio...you will get a better exchange rate than paying directly in stores, restaurants. I would not rely soley on credit cards for ATM withdrawals, simply because times are so uncertain that I doubt you can count on money being available at all times...mind you, I had no trouble with ATMs during my visit in August...but I have been in other countries--Ecuador, most recently--where ATMs were not working.....Safety in Vicente Lopez should not be a problem...in the downtown area, take a radio taxi and you shourl be ok...Your passport is the only real document you will need...you will be issued a tourist stamp and/or visa when you arrive....check your health insurance, since many policies are not valid overseas...

nice places to see...I agree with the other poster, Colonia, Uruguay by Buquebus (not sure of spelling) is a good day trip....The San Telmo market on Sunday is fun if you like antiquing and street entertainers....a day trip to an Estancia is also a lot of fun, especially with your kids if they enjoy horseback riding.....Mr.Tango is a restaurant/tango show and nicely done....other restaurant options are numerous...It is very hard to find a bad restaurant in Buenos Aires!!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Fred

Message: Paul - Thanks for your input.There is just me and my wife,no children! We do not have an ATM card. never liked them, or the thought of going to an ATM machine! We would like to go to Sacramento del Colonia,Uruguay. I hear it is very nice. We will be touring with our friends that LIVE there. We will be there for two weeks. Any other first hand info is welcome. Places to see and to eat at. Thanks, Fred

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
Roy

For me ATM's are the only way. They are found everywhere, and open 24hs a day, seven days a week. Of course, I suppose something unexpected could cause a problem with using them. But I remember that there was a time recently when banks were shuttered -- maybe the ATM's at that time were shut down too??
San Telmo on Sunday is a good suggestion and the train that goes from Retiro in BA to Tigre (And also stops in Vicente Lopez) is a pleasant days trip. From Tigre there are many, many excursion boats that cater to tourists and visit the surrounding waterways.
I visited Colonia and was very disappointed, but that was a little while ago. Maybe now they have made it a more interesting place.
If you are interested in fine dining, I strongly recommend lunch at La Bourgogne in the Alvear Palace Hotel in La Recoleta. At lunch they offer a fantastic three course

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:26 AM
Roy

For me ATM's are the only way. They are found everywhere, and open 24hs a day, seven days a week. Of course, I suppose something unexpected could cause a problem with using them. But I remember that there was a time recently when banks were shuttered -- maybe the ATM's at that time were shut down too??
San Telmo on Sunday is a good suggestion and the train that goes from Retiro in BA to Tigre (And also stops in Vicente Lopez) is a pleasant days trip. From Tigre there are many, many excursion boats that cater to tourists and visit the surrounding waterways.
I visited Colonia and was very disappointed, but that was a little while ago. Maybe now they have made it a more interesting place.
If you are interested in fine dining, I strongly recommend lunch at La Bourgogne in the Alvear Palace Hotel in La Recoleta. At noontime they offer a fantastic three course lunch, including wine and coffee with petit fours for the amazing, and incredible, price of 55 peso per person - that's about $14!!
And there are many other great deals in beautiful restaurants.
I'm sure you will have a great time.
Roy

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:10 AM
Fred

Thanks Roy. I guess i have been afraid to get cash from a machime! Sometimes there are beggars and would-be robbers watching. It seems like setting yourself up as a target! Like I said, we will be visiting and sight-seeing with our friend who live there. So They will know where and wht to show us. I will leave it up to the "natives." Fred