Remises/Buenos Aires

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Roy

Remises/Buenos Aires

The concept of "remise" is a unknown one to me. But it seems to be widely recommended. When you use a remise, do you pay by meter, or is there a set fare to your destination which the driver tells you before you enter, or do you bargain with the driver?
Thanks for any advice.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:35 AM
maria

Roy,

No meters. Although there is a set fare, you can bargain with the driver. But I insist, for shorter distances, ask your hotel or reataurant to call you a taxi. Remises are good value for longer distances.

Best,

Maria

PS: Piegari is close to the Four Seasons, not inside the buiding.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:09 PM
kat

Roy, I agree with Maria, remises are susually used for longer distances (I used to take them for trips longer than 10 minutes). Usually you (or the hotel) call the remis company and when you do the booking, you also ask for the price for the place you are going to. Thats then what you pay to the remis driver. I found that bargaining with them is not so easy because most of the time the are bound by the rates that were given first.

As for shorter distances and taking taxis: for your security always try to take Radio-taxis. (e.g. from companys where you or the hotel call them beforehand) if you do hale a cab on the street be careful. there are, especially in the center, stories around about cab drivers driving people, especially foreigners, to places where they then get robbed by other people of their group. or \they enter your cab (when it stops somewhere) and 2 sit right and left of you and one in front - same story...
When I lived there, it never happened to me but I was careful, but it did happen to a colleague of mine. I'm not saying this is widely spread, just saying: hold you eyes open.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Angie

Roy, a "remise" is a limo. To give you an idea, the minimum charge would be of about $5 (1,5 u$s) for 10 km. and 2$ for every 15 minutes they wait for you. You can arrange with the company to have a dedicated car for a whole day but I don't know how much that can cost. Remises are convenient because tehy are safe and you can arrange for them to fetch you at a fixed time and if you go shopping they can carry your parcels in the trunk even if it might be more expensive than a radiotaxi

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:41 AM
paul

Here is the name of a remis driver...Carlos Dalbosco...a ride from EZE airport to your hotel in downtown or Recoleta will cost $38 pesos (10.61USD at today's exhange rate. This includes tolls for the expressway). Carlos is also available to drive you where you want to go for USD5 per hour...He knows the area well...so he is both tour guide/driver.

phone: from US...011-54-11-4652-5758 or Cell: 011-54-11-4470-3963...local: cell: 15-4470-3963

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Roy

Thanks for all the info.
We are back from BA now - had a marvelous time - and plotting when we can return.
We took the Manuel Leon remise from the airport to city for $11 dollars.
We used cabs many times a day with no problems at all and paying 2 to 10 pesos a trip - the l0 peso one, a 30 minute trip from the center to Belgrano. On our return to the airport
we used the hotel car which cost 32 pesos - about $8.50 US. But trips around the city cost from 0.55 US to $2.60!! - depending on distance.