Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

US Dollars in Buenos Aires and Argentina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm making arrangements for my November trip and I notice most if not all of the apartment agencies are quoting and asking for payment in dollars, not AR pesos.

Also some services too, like tours are being quoted in USD.

Is it common for USD to be accepted or are these agencies and services just catering to the American tourists?

I suspect that is the case but I wonder if it's a remnant of the currency crisis there a few years ago too.

If dollars are commonly taken, do ATMs there dispense USD? I was just going to get the local currency from ATMs.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Both US $ and Pesos are accepted everywhere. When we go to AR we take along at least $100 in singles and another $100 in $5's. For some reason, small AR pesos are like gold, everytime you go to the cash machine to take out money in pesos you always get 20's (like here). Anyway, we found having some small US currency was great for tips/paying taxis, etc. And everyone accepts the 3:1 ratio, so don't worry about the exchange rate.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Hi ATM machines dispense only pesos in Argentina. In Uruguay there is a choice you can get pesos or dolars.
I found that the ATM machines are easier to navigate in some banks than others, I had good responses from Bank of Boston, Parisbas Bank and Banco Itau.( I like Itau best because I only have ti slide the card)
All have many offices in the city.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

OK, that's what I suspected. So it's always 3 to 1?

How about if I use credit cards? Do they charge in Pesos or Dollars? Do they try to sneak in a lower exchange rate like they sometimes do in Europe to charge in dollars at a lower exchange rate than the credit card company would give you?

Traveler's checks okay?
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Hello scrib:

We also travel with US$ cash. Lots of ones for tips and small purchaes when we first arrive.

We used AMEX traveller cheques and cashed our first amount at the downtown AMEX office. In the past, they did this no charge but not any more. We had a long wait in line, then paid the regular tarrif.

We later would go to the Banco de la Nacion or National Bank of Argentina. Same rate of charge as far as I could figure, but they are all over the city. To cash your cheques here, you must have your passport with you. I think that is the same for AMEX, I can not remember for sure. Line up of course but more convenient than the downtown AMEX office.

We used the ATM at this same bank and got our cash much faster and easier. We always use an ATM that is INSIDE a bank. I am concerned about scams where the machines are tampered with. My hope is that it is more difficul to tramper with a machine that is inside the bank rather than where it is "less populated'.

I carry a credit card but prefer not to use it in strange places. I find it hard to argue with a computer.

We use local currency as soon as is practical and when we are leaving the country, I will pay a final bill at what I hope is a reputable place using the last of my foreign currency and topping it up with my credit card. US cash is also good at this time.

The ATM and credit cards use the current exchange rate for that day's transaction.

We did use our AMEX cheques to buy leather products in the leather district of Bs. As and we got American dollars in change, otherwise we always got local currency back as change.

One time my wife wrote the wrong month on the AMEX cheque. The bank would not accept an initialled change so we simply marked that cheque, "For deposit only to the credit of [our name]." and took them home for deposit.

My experience with credit card use in the past in Argentina [mostly in the countryside] was that they did not want to take them. Seems it took for ever for the merchant to get their money!!

Hope this is of help to you.

Have a good trip.

Woodie
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:17 PM

"Hi ATM machines dispense only pesos in Argentina."

This is not true. It just depends on where the ATM is and whether it is set up for that. I took out both currencies from ATMs in Buenos Aires. I believe many things are priced in dollars just becuase it's a currency with value long-term. They're spooked.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Globetrots,
Can you remember which bank you used to get American dollars? Our apartment rental company wants it in U.S. dollars. Infact, everyone we contacted wanted U.S. dollars and we hestitate to carry that much.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:03 AM

I believe most real estate firms will take for a rental the "peso equivalent" of whatever amount of dollars you must pay. However, you should check that they use the proper rate of conversion, for which you can use: http://www.dolarhoy.com/
Yesterday, the rate should have been between 3,11 and 3,12 pesos per dollar. Of course getting the ATM to give you dollars would be better, because, otherwise, you would lose in the exchange rate.
Have a great time in our town.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Several notes:

1. Very few ATMs dispense dollars. Don't go to Argentina with the expectation that you will be able to withdraw dollars for major purchases or to pay for an apartment rental. ATMSs will ask if you want dollars or pesos, but will not complete the transaction in greenbacks....There are exceptions, but not many.

2. Dollars are accepted for some transactions in some locations, but you will need pesos as well for most purchases, especially outside of the main tourist areas (Florida street or the major malls).

3. Even when dollars are accepted, there are differences in exchange rates. Sometimes the exchange is better than the rate you will receive in banks or exchange houses, sometimes it is the same, and sometimes you are better off buying in pesos. Take a calculator with you and compare rates.

4. Traveler's checks are not widely accepted. American Express is probably the best type of TC to take along, but I don't use my stash of TC's except in case of emergency. Expect any business that will accept a TC to charge a commission for cashing.....

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 08:46 AM

scrb:

I was faced with needing US$1200.00 cash in Bs. As. but was going to Chile for 5 weeks before reching Bs. As.

That is why I used AMEX cheques and cashed enough at the AMEX downown office. That was very inconvenient, but I did not want to carry that cash for 5 weeks beforehand.

The money was needed to pay the balance on our Apartment plus the deposit.

I do not know of any other way to do it.

Took a cab to AMEX, had it wait [more than half hour] and then took the cab right to the Apartment rental office.

Other than that, I could have paid all of the rent in advance by bank transfer from Canada to the US bank that the apartment renter used.

My deposit was refunded with the same bills I had given them. I had noted the serial numbers.

Hope this is of some help.

Woodie
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Some said it is not true that ATM do not dispense dollars. That some ATMs dispense dollars but I really doubt it. I wonder when was it that he/her had dollars from an ATM ? not recently I bet.
However this makes me doubt , a little, drdawddy says that to-day still some ATM dispense dollars?
Where I wonder?

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Hello
I live in BA and as far as I know the ATM dont expends any dollars bills now.
They only gives AR pesos.
RGRDS
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM

ATM at airport asked if the withdrawal was to be in pesos or dollars, but it only worked for pesos. Also found Cirrus ATM cards had more machines for cashing than Pulse or others, but did find some of those too. Outside of BA, ATM machines are not always available. Also away from BA, fewer merchants wanted dollars or credit. Some didn't want to take 20 pesos notes for smaller purchases so try to collect small notes if leaving the city. Hotels and major restuarants usually took credit with the exchange rate as of the charge posting rate. Some ATMs we got charged for, but our Chase ATM card did not have a fee. The departure airport tax of $18 per person can be paid in pesos, dollars or credit card. I did notice the airline coming into the US would not take pesos for beer or wine purchases onboard but did take other currency other than dollars.