Azul Beach in Playa Del Carmen vs. Beaches Negril for a Family Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am looking for some advice on which destination and hotel would be best for us. I am a 35 year old woman looking to take a 5 night trip this July with my 34 year old husband, my 56 year old mother in law, and our two children- ages 7 and 3. After much research, I have narrowed our options down to the Azul Beach Hotel in Playa del Carmen, and Beaches Negril. I ended up with these two options in large part because the three most important factors to me are (1) quality of the food (we are VERY picky about food, and feel most all inclusives are mediocre in that department if you're lucky), (2) the level at which the resort caters to families with children, and (3) the natural beauty of the beach and surrounding areas. My husband and I have been to Playa del Carmen alone before (we stayed at Secrets Maroma and Grand Velas) and love all the snorkeling, and other nature activities available in the area for the kids. Ive been to Ocho Rios, but never Negril and I hear great things about it. Thoughts?
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 08:59 AM

sorry, but there is no azul beach or azul beach hotel in Playa. from what i gather it might be 40 minutes north of playa, by car...
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Ah, you're right. I meant Puerto Morelos
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 03:25 PM

I've been in the vicinity of both places. I think, for a trip with young kids, you would like Mexico better than Jamaica. Negril is romantic and super for couples, but I really wouldn't enjoy having kids there. (We've been to Negril twice, never stay at all-inclusives, but have stayed on the beach twice and cliffs once. One trip we had two locations and loved them both). Mexico is just more family-friendly.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks uhoh_busted! My husband and I travel solo quite a bit and never do AIs when we are alone, but they make things so much easier with the kids. I have always wanted to go to Negril and stay at Rockhouse or the Caves. We will probably do Mexico for this trip and Negril for a trip without the little ones.
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 06:21 AM

We did stay at Rockhouse that trip! We like Charella Inn as an on the beach location, and I am tempted to just take their meal plan next time because their food is always lovely. The caves are fun if you like to snorkel, because you get your own rock-entry to the sea.
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 06:22 AM

Make that "the cliffs" are fun...