Travel Ideas?

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Ideas?

'm looking for some thoughts for an inexpensive (less than $1500 including air from Chicago) week long trip for my husband and a retired friend of his. They would like to travel in October or maybe November. My husband wants to go someplace with lots to do (music, snorkeling, parasailing, swimming, to name a few) and his friend likes to stroll the beach or street (like Duvall St. in Key West) and check out the female scenery. I suggested the Mexican Riviera, but I don't know that much about it. I also wondered about Puerto Rico. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Sounds like a job for Negril, Jamaica to me.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Good thought - they went there last year. So my husband would lke something different. His only complaint about that trip was that the hotel they stayed at (the Riu Negril) closed the pool at 6 and the hot tub at 5. Sort of strange, I thought.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:44 AM

Playa del Carmen (Hotel DeSeo) in Yucatan might well suit both.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:46 AM

They probably would have enjoyed a non AI along the main Negril beach more than an more isolated all inclusive - especially for the music and the "female scenery." The first thing that came to mind was Brazil, but that's a little off topic.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:59 PM

We have travelled our fair share in the Caribbean and Mexico and the Mayan Riviera area south of Cancun is still our favorite destination so far. Cancun is very Americanized now, while the and Mayan Riviera area is more like old Mexico with wonderful new all inclusive resorts. There is so much to see and do in the area such as explore Mayan ruins, swim/snorkel in cenotes, eco/water parks, etc. or you can just do nothing if you wish. Playa del Carmen is just a short collectivo (very cheap transportation) or taxi cab away if you want to shop or drop in and have a drink one day or night.

I can personally recommend the Barcelo Maya resort. It has two beautiful huge pools with swim up bars and is on one of the best beaches in the area that even has on site snorkeling. There is a lot of water and land activities included with the all inclusive program at this resort and there is even one of the best theatres included and also one of the best discos in the area. Best of all there is no fighting for shade or lounge chairs at this resort so therer is no need to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve one as there are lots of lounge chairs and shade. Here is a private website set up by a lady (not me) who went to this resort and loved it so much that she set up her own website for it. It has lots of ifnromation and pictures. Check the sticky post at top of the discussion forum for links to vacationer's pictures of the resort and area. There is even a discussion forum to ask your questions if you want.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

It is very good value for the dollar, but there are so many other wonderfull all inclusives in this area of Mexico.

Hope I have been of some help. Have a great vacation.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

These suggestions are great, thanks. I think they are leaning towards the Mayan Riviera, so the hotel suggestions are a big help. And Brazil isn't far off in my mind, but we were just there last spring and when my husband's friend went there about 15 years ago he got mugged and doesn't believe us that it is better now. If anyone else has any suggestions for hotels, we'd still love to hear them.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM

A wonderful little hotel in Playa del Carmen is Hotel La Tortuga - it is a small approx 40 room hotel that has this great little pool with a moat that goes around the courtyard. There are five or six rooms along this moat that are called "swim-up" rooms because you have direct access to the pool -really cool!! While it is not on the beach they do give you passes to Mamita's Beach Club which is on a very nice beach and it is a short walk. But La Tortuga is right off of Fifth Ave where all of the great restaurants and bars are - no need for an AI in this town - you'd miss out on too many great eats! We have travelled to serveral other locations (Puerto Rico, Negril, Vieques, Nassau and the out-islands of the Bahamas, and Key West) and our favorite is still the Mexican Riviera. Check out www.playadelcarmeninfo.com for lots of information on Playa - this site also has a very active forum. Check out La Tortuga at www.hotellatortuga.com