Search

August vs. June/July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Kathy

August vs. June/July

Our trip is planned for August 12-23 to Costa Rica, I still have about one week to confirm our flight with miles. I'm starting to second guess myself regarding the month of August because it seems to be practically the height of the rainy season and wondering if we should wait until next year and go late June/early July? Would the weather be more likely less rainy a month earlier? After reading some of the trip reports it sounds like rain could be pervasive in August. We could still plan somewhere else for this August such as Italy. Please, input would be appreciated. Thank you. Kathy

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Iza

Kathy, we visited CR twice in the last 2 years, both times in August. We were concerned about the weather before we went but it was really not an issue when we were there (except that we were not able to see Arenal Volcano due to bad weather). <BR>I read somewhere that there is a mini dry season for about six weeks in July and beginning of August. I don't think that end of June/early July would be that much different from August in terms of weather. I think the height of the rainy season is in September and August. <BR>And of course, keep in mind that weather varies greatly throughout the country with the northwest portion (Nicoya Penninsula) being the driest and having consistently the sunniest weather.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Kathy

Dear Iza,<BR>Thank you for responding. I actually made the commitment today and booked the trip with American Airlines. One thing that was nice was that they said you could change your dates for up to a year with no penalty. Not that we would change our departure date at this point, but we can exend our stay if we want. So, if we can't fit everything in we can add time without a problem. Again, thank you. Kathy

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Michael

Hi Kathy:<BR> I live in the pacific northwest and unfortunately weather forecasts are the same as at home,( USA or Canada) unpredictable. I check 5 weather forecasts every morning ( because we do boat charters)including marine weather and they are only 50% on the button. This year rain happened a bit early in our area and we are hoping for shorter season but who knows. It changes every year depending on El Nino or a tropical storm that slips into the Gulf or along the coast. During our "green season" we can normaly expect a daily shower with clearing but sometimes a few days of rain at a time. Other days, a bit of cloud and no rain. The further south or inland you go you can expect more rain. The height of our "Green Season" is not in August but in September and October. Regardless of the occasional showers don't let this discourage you as it's all apart of the experience. We laugh at our 5 day weather forecasts when they call for thunder storms and rain as we bask in the 92 degree sunshine. You can check rain fall stats at this web site : http://www.costarica.com/weather/temperatures/temperatures-rainfall-humidity-geographical-regions.html<BR>Don't let the weather worry you! Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Iza

Of course I meant to say that the height of the rainy season is in September and October (not August).

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Kathy

Dear Michael and Iza,<BR>Thank you both for your encouragement. I've decided to go for it and will go prepared both mentally and otherwise for rain. We may actually leave earlier now, only by a week, but why wait! Again, thank you. Your input is appreciated.<BR>Kathy