ATMS

Sep 9th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

ATMS

Has anyone used the Atm's in Buenos Aires? Are they plentiful? Easy to use? I will be going on Friday and I usually use Atm's when I travel to Europe, but this is my first time in South America. Any advice on money changing?
Sep 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM

This question has been asked over and over.
Please ask the search feature to show you what has been said about atms in the Argentina forum and you'll get it all.
Whatever you do, don't sell any dollars at a place called "Global Exchange" conveniently located in our international airport. You should get about 3,15 pesos for each dollar you sell.
Have a great time in our country.
Sep 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Hi
Yes, we use ATMs and so do most visitors as well.

They are very plentiful..just about one on every block.

They are very easy to use.

When you arrive, you can change your money at the bank in the airport. The Banco Nacion (I think) is the name.

When you arrive in town ( about a 30 min taxi ride) you can go to a bank and hit the ATM..
BA is South America but it feels like any big city in Europe or the US when it comes to some things..

Have a good time in Buenos Aires
Sep 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's what I thought, but I'm getting mixed messages from friends who have been there.

I did do a search but my "atm's, Buenos aires" boolean search went no where. Must not have had the right words.

Thanks for your help and your advice. I'm generally a lurker, but read and make notes of everything y'all say! I'm excited about my first venture to Buenos Aires and South America!

I will be in Buenos Aires, with a side trip to Iguazu falls for 2 days and to Colonia. Between this forum and TA and your advice and the advice of other travelers, I feel confident I'm going to have a wonderful visit!

I'm so excited I'm practically vibrating! Working this week is going to be extremely difficult!
Sep 9th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Santander Rio
PBParibas
HBSC
and Itau
are all banks on various streets that have ATMs ... Callao, Santa Fe, Pueyrredon are all large streets that have banks plus they are all over the place anyway.
If you had a problem, you will probably have a problem with how much you can take out at one time, this comes up but the worst part about it is you get charged a little fee..not a big deal in the grand scheme of things .. But we live here now and have no problems at all with getting money whenever we want it.

I know what you mean about the vibrating part..I did that too, twice! lol..Your plan sounds good..where are you staying?
Feel free to ask any and all questions..that is what the forums are for
Sep 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM

sorry..that is HSBC
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:29 AM

Please see the
Cash vs. Credit Cards in Argentina - Advice Please!
thread, which I sent to the top for you.
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks Scarlett and Avrooster, I feel confident about the Atm's now. Will also bring some cash to get started with anyway! We are staying at the sheraton In Iguazu falls and when we are in Recoleta at a little boutique hotel Art hotel.

I have read alot of posts on here and trip advisor and I think it's great that you all share your information! It will certainly make this trip more special with all the tips, etc.

Thanks and i will be sure to get on and give a trip report when I return.
Sep 10th, 2007, 01:50 PM

I've been to BA a few times, on the ATMs - just look for the Cirrus sign (or whatever network your bank is part of). Not all the banks will take all the ATMs, but you should definitely find ones that will work - I only found a few places it didn't work. I agree - definitely don't change money - just get out the amount you think you'll really go through (you can always get more), and anything you have left, you have to spend in the airport!!!
Sep 10th, 2007, 02:16 PM

The Art Hotel is lovely, I am sure you will be happy with your choice
On this side of the street on my block there are 2 banks..that is the way the large streets are here, so if one bank is not the type you need, walk a half block lol.
Remember to keep your cash in small bills, keep paying for things with large bills so you can keep change..for taxis and for the small shops and fairs where the vendors don't have much change.
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Great! Pictures of the hotel look great on line, but you just never know. And I checked here and trip advisor. I like boutique hotels and it seems in a good location! Now I'm just going to have to schedule some massages before going to dinner each nite and my trip will be perfect!
Sep 11th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Kim, there is a restaurant across the street, my mind is blank right now, but we are going there soon. Mediterranean seafood..looks very good..
Sep 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Great! I love mediterranean food! Thank you. Only 2 more days!!