Search

ATM limts in Buenos Aires?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM
MnJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM limts in Buenos Aires?

We will soon be making our first trip to Argentina and plan to use ATMs for money. Have any of you recently used ATMs in Buenos Aires? Is there a limit to the amount of pesos that you can withdrawal? We have read that the limit is 300 pesos per ATM machine within a 24 hour period. We would appreciate knowing your experiences with the ATMs.
Thanks much.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM

It is true that 300 pesos seem to be the maximum but I had no problem y repeating the same operation on the spot.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM

This was last Feb, it might have changed.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Let's see if this answers your question?

http://tinyurl.com/3qgemf
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM

I was just there a few weeks ago, and u cannot take out more than 300 peso's at one time, but u can repeat the transaction, once that one is finished, and take another 300 out!!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:27 PM

MnJ - Thanks for posting this question! I was just going to ask a the same thing (I'll be headed to BA in less than 4 weeks! Yay!) I'd much rather just use an ATM machine for pesos - and not have to hassle with exchanging money. Good to know this info.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Hi Magallean, and all,

i go often to Bs As, and very often unfortunatelly I have to take money out of the ATM , for me, I used a debit card from my account in the USA, some ATMs happen to be more friendly than others. One bank which is always good is
Itau, I particularly like this bank because you do not have to fully introduce your card in the machine. Only put in and take it out fast.
The city of Buenos Aires is full of offices of this bank.
( I think it is a Brazilian bank)
Another that is good for me is the former Bank of Boston, now called , I believe, Standard Bank. Another is Paribas.

Precaution should be used when taking away money from ATM, but this is no news . However, so far, I never had a problem.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:02 AM

This is true, it was like this last year too and I think years before.
We live here in BA now and take money out each week, we just keep taking out the maximum limit until we have as much as we need.
It is not a limit within a time period, it is how much you can take out at the transaction.
Just stand there and do it again until you have what you need.
Check with your bank on the percentage that they take out on your card..
It is still the best way to deal with cash in Buenos Aires.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Also-on the corner of Callao and Quintana are several banks as well as the corner of Guido and Callao , there is a PNB Paribas (French Bank) and across the street is an HSBC..we prefer dealing with the HSBC people in that bank, the Paribas on Las Heras & Pueyrredon are very nice too.
There is no shortage of banks on each block of this city!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:45 AM

Hi Scarlet, I am so thrilled that you love being in BUenos AIres. Wonderful.
I bet there is no shortage of banks!!
How is the weather now?

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM
MnJ
Original Poster

These great responses are what we really enjoy about fodors.com/forums. Your suggestions and explanations are really helpful for us. We are excited about our first trip to BA and Iguazu Falls. Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Hola Graziella!
The weather today is delightful

Bright sun, blue blue skies and a light breeze, near 70ºF.
We were out all day with pup and only found it cold on the corner of Las Heras & Pueyrredon lol. The wind there is always brisk!

We spent a couple of hours in the Embassy park throwing the new ball for pup...a couple of people having lunches on park benches but otherwise - the Park belonged to us. Perfecto!

Thank you G...this coming weekend is our First Year Anniversary here
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM

This is such helpful information. I'm so excited about my trip too! Woooo hoooooooooooo!!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Hi - Another quick question that came to mind. I wasn't planning on getting any pesos before I leave the U.S. - I was just going to wait and get them once I arrive in BA.

Are there ATM machines right in EZE airport, or are there only exchange places?

Thank you!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Hi I am not sure about the ATMs in Ezeiza, probably yes, if not it is ok to change in the kiosk of BANCO DE LA NACION, which is hidden behind another kiosk which is no good. So look for it, or ask for BANCO DE LA NACION, there you can quickly change a few dollars or whatever and the exchange is acceptable.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Yes, M, there ARE ATMs in our international airport, but if you want to know which ones, a little research is required, or maybe the internationally renowned TOP Internet expert on Argentina, DRDAWGGY, will help us? Doc, are you out there?

Or, as Graziella said, you can change dollar bills into pesos at the Banco de la Nación, which is open 24/7.

What you must NOT do is change your dollars in a conveniently located place called "Global Exchange". They are crooks.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks to the both of you for responding. I don't think it matters what kind of ATM, as long as it's the kind with money in it - Just kidding. If Dr. Dawggy does happen to know if they're are any more "reputable" ATM machines at EZE that I should use, that would be great. (I usually like use ATM from more well-known banks, rather than any old random machine).

Also -thanks for the tip about Banco de la Nacion. And I'll stay far, far away from the crooks at the Global Exchange.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Yes, there is an ATM machine in the airport, my husband used it.
I am not sure where exactly it was located, as I was rescuing my dog from smitten baggage handler lol.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks, Scarlett. Hope yer dog's ok!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM

Banco de la Nacion has an ATM that I have used many times. To access:
As you exit customs you will enter an area cordoned off from the main part of the terminal building by kiosks offering various services, such as rental cars. Keep going straight ahead.

You will exit into the arrival hall where non-ticketed passengers are awaiting arrivals. Once you are in this area turn right and double back in the direction from which you just came only outside of the kiosks...you will find the Banco de la Nacion ATM and tellar window....

As recently as September it was still possible to withdraw a thousan pesos from this ATM....but I cannot say what might have happened to the limit since then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -