Arenal Update and Seeking a Driver

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal Update and Seeking a Driver

Me again... still struggling with my decision on where to stay in Arenal. However, we've narrowed the field a bit. We decided that since we're spending four nights at Bosque Del Cabo (nature, seclusion, etc), we want a bit more of a "resort" experience in Arenal. In particular, I want lush grounds, swim up bar, hot pools or jacuzzi on site, a security box in the room, prefer spa on site and closer to town. I've narrowed my options to Arenal Paraiso or Los Lagos. We're a couple, ages 31 and 32. Your choice? I'm leaning towards Arenal Paraiso b/c the natural springs look nice and I like the "weather-proof" porch idea since we'll technically be there in Green Season (May 2-5).

Also, I think we've decided to hire a driver to get us from SJO to Arenal and then rent a car once we get to La Fortuna. We want to minimize hassle and stress. Can anyone recommend a driver and tell me approximately how much it is from Alajuela to La Fortuna? Also, anyone know of good rental car agencies in La Fortuna?

Is this a good plan?

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Sorry I can't help you with those hotels, haven't stayed at either yet, although we're staying at Los Lagos in March so I can report back after that! Maybe flip a coin?

You could hire a driver or, I didn't realize how cheap the flights are through Sansa from SJO to Arenal. We only flew to Puerto Jimenez, which wasn't as cheap, and used Interbus for other places, but I'd definitely consider flying next time (of course the dates I need are sold out already for upcoming trip...BOOO)!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Holy cow, you're right. It would cost us $70 (for BOTH of us) to fly one way from Pavas to Arenal on Nature Air. The return flight times don't work, so maybe fly there and get a return driver?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Sounds good to me! No flights from Arenal to Puerto Jimenez for your BDC portion on either Sansa or Nature?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

We've already booked our flights down to Osa. We're going out of Pavas on Nature Air. I insist on flying Nature Air b/c of the twin engines, and NA didn't offer good options for Arenal-PJ.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Just to give you an idea of costs, we paid $120 for our driver from SJO to La Fortuna.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

I assume that is $120 each way? Is that price for one person or everybody?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Yes, that price is for one way and includes everyone. They don't usually charge per person, just a flat fee.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM

I just took a large group of 30 to Los Lagos, it was super hospitable and they were all very pleased. They have their own natural hot springs with swim up bar and both hot and cool pools. Spa on site, and it is a $5 taxi ride to La Fortuna. They also have a canopy tour on site so you can zip line through the tree tops then go see their crocodiles.

http://www.anywherecostarica.com/are.../los-lagos.htm

Here is the link for Arenal Paraiso to give you a different perspective.

http://www.anywherecostarica.com/are...al-paraiso.htm
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Another serious contender is Arenal Springs. Anyone stayed there? The rooms look really nice, but the grounds don't seem as lush as the other two I've mentioned.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM

We've always favored Arenal Paraiso (love the location), but Arenal Springs has gotten consistently good reviews. It's a little closer to La Fortuna, if memory serves. . .
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:34 AM

I just posted my trip report. I have no input on the two hotels you are considering because I stayed at Lost Iguana. But, I did hire a driver to take me all over Costa Rica. I used Wilson Rojas. I cannot recommend him enough. His contact info. is [email protected].

The drive from San Jose it Arenal is nice (we took the scenic route by choice).
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM

I like Arenal Paraiso but Arenal Springs gets good reviews as well. I remember passing it and agree the grounds aren't as lush as others but I think this is simply cause it's new and needs a few years for good growth.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think I've decided on Arenal Paraiso. Here's my thinking: while Silencio Del Campo, Arenal Springs, etc look very nice, the practicality is that we're going in rainy season. If it rains and we've decided to spend some time around the hotel, we'll have more to do at AP. There are hot springs, a covered swim-up bar, and the type of room we plan on getting has an enclosed porch.

I don't know why the Arenal portion has been the hardest for me to plan. I think I'm over-thinking it a bit too much.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Whew! One thing you can cross off your list.