Arenal-SJ-BosqueDC-best flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in SJ at 2pm; have driver to Arenal (Volcano Lodge-close to La Fortuna);2 full days in Arenal. Is it possible to make a 10:30 or 10:50 flight out of SJ to get to BdC without killing ourselves? Would like to get the most of our 1st day there & don't want to risk an afternoon flight cancellation. Volcano Lodge says no problem to get a driver to get us to the airport early. What do you think? Any recommendations on Natureair or Sansa? Are they both at the same airport? Has anyone taken 1 ways with both to get better times? We'll have 5 nights in BdC to recoup. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:38 AM

If you can get going VERY early. Sansa is located next to SJO International in Alajuela.
Nature Air is 20 mins or more across San Jose. Sansa would be closer for you coming from Arenal.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the tip. So, how early would it be best to leave to get to the airport AT LEAST 30 mins. before a 10:30 flight?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM

I'm overly cautious & would hate to miss the flight so I would hit the road at 6am. Trip should take 3 hours approx, so that will give you an extra 45 min - 1 hour extra padding just in case you get stuck behind a truck on those one lane narrow roads (which happens a lot!). I would go for Sansa as it's closer and a little cheaper as well.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to be so obsessive about this...but, I'm starting to think I should just book a 2:00 pm flight to PJ, & be able to get up at a normal time & enjoy breakfast. Any opinion before I commit? Thanks for all your input!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM

What month are you traveling?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

We're travelling Apr. 17-26 (leaving Arenal for BdC on Apr. 20) What do you think? Thanks again to listening to my questions.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM

It's hard to say! I wouldn't think rain would be a factor (but you never know). Speaking if I were doing it? I'd take the earlier flight. You'll then get a few hours at BdC before nightfall to see the grounds, the layout etc. The later flight will onlt give you 45 min - 1 hour at BdC before it gets dark. I'm saying this just cause I did something similiar and after dinner, walking back to my cabina, realized I hadn't even paid attention to where it was! A couple of wrong cabins and I finally found mine. I'd leave Arenal early & get the earlier flight out but that's just my dos colones - I'm sure the later one will work just as well!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM

This is helpful for my group as well, because we're also planning to drive from Arenal to San Jose to catch a flight to BdC. I think getting on the road early as Tully suggested seems wise, but I haven't looked into flights yet.

For what its worth, Leonardo at BdC recommended Nature Air over Sansa, saying that Nature Air tended to be more reliable.

Researcher, we're arriving at BdC on 4/25, so maybe we'll cross paths!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input! Decided to book the 10:30 flight & just get started real early from Arenal. Took Sansa since it's closer than the Natureair airport. Hope that they aren't too unreliable!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Don't worry, I've taken them 8 times and have always been on time and very reliable. I think you made a good choice with the earlier flight. Yeah you might lose a couple hours sleep but you gain that much more time at Bosque. And for many reasons, CR seems to bring out the 'get up with the sun' in many people.