Search

Arenal Pricing? Hours?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal Pricing? Hours?

Does anyone know what the pricing is? Well, I know the admission is $19 unless stayting at their hotel, but what about the entrance+dinner combo? Or if we go there later in the evening, say 7:00pm and pay the $19, do we have to pay $19 again to visit for only a couple hours the next morning? I sure would like to know before I drag my sister and brother to the area for only one night. Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I also wanted to know if anyone knows about Hotel Los Largos? It's the only place I could find that has two bedrooms and I really would prefer that over getting two rooms.
Thanks again!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Dear Ally,
Tabacon raised there prices! It is now $29! And they have it divided into "blocks" of morning and night. So if you enter in the morning, you can only be there in the morning! However, they have an all day entrance+dinner pass for $41 (to tell you the truth, I called and got confused by all the different options they have, but this is basically what I understood...).
I think it is worth it, especially with the dinner. I haven't eaten there myself, but heard good things about the buffet dinner, and I have been to the hot springs about 5 times....
Now regarding Los Lagos - in fact, it is one of my favorite places in Arenal. Nothing too fancy, but there is a lot of charm to the place, it is very reasonably priced, they have now upgraded their kitchen and the food is really good, and they have a great hot Jacuzzi and pools. They have a new section, so try to get a room there. Ally, if you write me directly, I can probably get you a discount there, so feel free to do it.
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Neta, I am wondering about how recently they made the pricing change at Tabacon. When we were there the first of January, we paid the $29 in the morning, stayed until about 1:30 in the afternoon and returned (wearing our bracelets) again in the evening at no extra cost. Do you suppose we just got lucky or what?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Dear Shillmac,
I suppose I didn't understand them well. It was quite confusing, and I think the guy I talked to on the phone wasn't sure about it as well.... In any case, it is no longer $19....
Hasta Luego ;-)
Neta Talmor
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

WOW! $29!!! Well, it sounds like we would have to pay $29 for about 7:00-10:00 (or $41 if we want dinner too), then we'd have to pay another $29 to go back the next morning from only 10:00-Noon. I've been there before and really wanted to take my brother and sister there as they have not been, but I don't think it will be worth the cost!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Just back from Arenal. We skipped Tabacon- there were too many people and it looked crazy. Another couple went for the hot springs/dinner combo (I think they said $41 each!) and they said that dinner was the worst they had had in Costa Rica. But, the hot springs were very nice.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:28 AM
TVL

Ally,
I posted on Costa Rica #2 Arenal (it was a while ago- so you may have to search under Costa Rica) about the Tabacon resort. In a nutshell, the hotels room ran around $150 for the basic room. We figured for 2 people to go in the hot springs just once it would be around $40 (now it seems $60 yikes!). That meant the hotel room was around $100. If you include the wonderful buffet breakfast with fruit, smoothies, any kind of omelet, the location, plus you can go to the hotsprings from 8 am to 10pm anytime, complimentary towels and lockers, I think it may be more cost effective and the resort is beautiful! I heard people talking about how they were on a tour and were sad to only have a few hours at the hotsprings and had to rush and eat. A note about the Buffet. It is around $18 per person and it basically has salad, rice, some fish, beef, etc. In my opinion, it wasn't very good. I only ate the pasta. If you are there look at the buffet before you make a decision. We thought it would be like the breakfast buffet but it was totally the opposite. Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:34 AM
TVL

Ally,
I just saw a post where you mentioned Karolas. We loved it too! If that is more your style then the buffet maybe even more of a disappointment. We visited Arenal from Manuel Antonio and my husband and I were bummed we even tried the fish! I'm sure you have already read about the La Fortuna falls and the hanging bridges near Arenal. If I go back I want to go on a hike to the volcano. Have a great time!!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

TVL,
Thanks for the info! The problem with staying at Tabacon Hotel is that we would need two rooms. One for my sister and I, and one for my brother. If it were for my husband and I, your idea would be fine, but I've already told my sister I'm paying for her trip to Costa Rica. My brother is paying his own way. So , I just don't think either one of us wants to pay $120 each for rooms for one night even if it does get you into the springs!
I've been to the waterfall before too, but can't remember about how long it takes to get there and have time to enjoy it. (It was probably 7 or 8 years years ago since I was in that area) We can't go the night we get there as it will be 5:00-6:00pm, and we need to leave the area by 1:00 the next day. So, now I'm wondering if we should just stay in Alajuela our first night and maybe take them to La Paz early the next day instead, before heading to the beach to meet up with my husband.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:35 AM
TVL

Ally,
You are a really nice sister! (= I heard the La Paz waterfall was awesome but we didn't get a chance to make it there. The La Fortuna waterfall is about a short taxi ride from the main town and takes about 2 hours to see the whole thing (with a little time to spare). I hear La Paz has multiple waterfalls so that may be a better choice. I am so envious- I can't wait to go back!! (=
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TVL! My sister is my twin are we are very close. She makes little to nothing working for a vet, where as I do much better than her as a Producer working for a big Advertising Agency, so my husband and I agreed if she could not afford to see the wonderful world of Costa Rica that we have already been to 8 times, we would just have to pay her way!
I've sent an email to her and my brother with our choices, (Arenal, La Paz or straight to the beach) so I'll leave the decision up to them at this point and take them where ever they want to go. It's going to be great being there with them both.