Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Arenal and Tamarindo for our first visit to C.R. good or bad?need advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 3 females between the ages of 28 and 31. We will be going to Costa Rica in February during the week schools are out (we are teachers). We are wondering if Tamarindo is more for teanagers and early 20s crowd looking to party. We don't mind a little nightlife but we are not looking for a spring break type of atmosphere. We thought that Tamarindo would be great we heard it is a small surfers village with great beaches. We will be staying at the El Diria Hotel.Can some of you please describe as much as possible what Tamarindo is like and if you know anything about the hotel I just mentioned. Also we have 9 full days to spend in Costa Rica. Should we go along with Arenal and Tamarindo or just head on to Manuel Antonio for all 9 days since it offers beaches and jungles etc.
MS
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:21 PM
koa

Arenal area is a must see in costa rica. You cant beat the Tabacon hot springs and if your lucky, the lava flowing off arenal at night. Personaly, I prefer Manuel Antonio to Tamarindo. The views in MA are awesome, there is a real nice beach in the park and the wildlife there makes you feel like your in jurassic park. Tamarindo is dusty and the beach is just OK. If you decide to go to the guanacaste area, there are other beaches in the area that are nicer than Tamarindo.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:32 PM

Since you have 9 days, how about spending 2 nights at Arenal, 3 nights at Tamarindo, and 3 nights at Manuel Antonio? You may have an extra night depending on your flight times. Usually, it is a good idea to get back to San Jose the night before departure. But if you arrive fairly early in the afternoon, you can get on up to Arenal for your first night.

I know a lot of people don't care for Tamarindo, and it will, as koa said, be dusty in February. But it is a cool little town with some neat restaurants, fun shops, and decent nightlife. Manuel Antonio is all about the park and the proximity of the jungle--nature all around you.

Tamarindo --just a funky little town fun to hang out in for a short time. Most of the spring break crowd shows up in March. The Diria is right on the beach. It has a good reputation. I think you might enjoy all 3 locations.

But I agree that you should definitely go to Arenal! I also think it would NOT be a good idea to spend 9 days in Manuel Antonio! If you have to choose, the Arenal/Manuel Antonio mix would probably be best.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:34 AM

I just saw Tamarindo on 8/19 for the first time in 9 or 10 years and found it to be very crowded. We had a drink at the El Diria Bar, and found the service to be very poor. Last I'd like to add that this place seemed very family friendly, and there were lots of kids in the pool. It's a pretty hotel and if you are already booked, then try not to worry, but I just want you to be prepared for what you MIGHT find.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:38 AM

I was in Tamarindo in July this year - 2 couples all in your same age range. We loved it - however we were VERY glad to have had experienced the other parts of Costa Rica that we did since there isn't a lot of nature/adventure things to do. We spent time on the beach, did a sunset sailing cruise (I got sick) and just relaxed at night over long dinners. There is more to do (rent bikes, try surfing, rent atvs, etc, etc). So, I'd recommend it for 3-4 nights. There are a lot of great, cute restaurants (Shark Bite Deli, Las Olas Cantina, ZullyMar, Stellas, etc.). We walked past the entrace to the Diria many times, and personally, I much prefer a smaller/more unique hotel. The Diria (while it is right on the beach) seemed to be a large resort to me & their website makes it sound like more of a party atmosphere in my opinion. The beach is very easy to get to no matter where you stay so being right on the beach may not have to be a priority. We stayed in room 5 at El Jardin del Eden & we loved it (that room has enough room for 3 of you). We liked having ocean views even though we werent right on the beach. I don't know what it would be like during a spring break time, but I agree with shillmac that I would think March would be a busier spring break time. Also dont know what it would be like without it being as green as it was when we were there - not sure what the "dry/dusty" season would look like. I think no matter where you go, you will find the country to be amazing!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:59 AM

I think you will enjoy Tamarindo for a few days and there is so much to see and do in that area. Don't miss the nearby volcano, rincon de la vieja (?) with a canopy tour, mud baths (hilarious!), and hot springs in the valley below. We also went on a riverboat trip and saw the most amazing array of birds; storks, spoonbills, as well as monkeys. The leatherback turtles should be nesting at that time and you can go on a tour at night to watch them. We loved this area when we were there about 2 years ago.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:33 AM

As you are looking for a place not to crowd,and may be less "gringo" why you don't consider Playa Samara for your vacation?
Samara it's a quite and safe village,with all whot you may need..have some bar or disco,many restaurants... and for sure much more relax....
Arenal area it's o.k.
Take your time and enjoy
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

topp