money questions

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
money questions

Even after reading the different posts re. atm/visa/travelers checks, I'm still confused about the best way to proceed in CR. Will most restaurants/shops give you the price in colones AND in dollars so you know the true cost? can you pay in cash dollars or visa for most purchases? will taxi drivers tell you how much in dollars? generally speaking, how many colones to the dollar? I guess I'm wondering if it's necessary to change our dollars into colones at all? Are there places that will only take colones? We arrive very late at night so the bank will be closed and it sounds like the atm may not work. Any helpful hints or caveats?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM
MNP

We never had a problem paying in Dollars. Mostly we just used dollars and our mastercard/debit card with no problems. The only time we got colones was as change. Pretty much everywhere told us the price in both dollars and colones. I dont remember exactly but while we were there last week actually the exchange rate was about 440ish colones to the dollar give or take.

I personally dont think its necessary to change your dollares to colones, you will do find without them.
Hope that helps a bit!

Where exactly are you going? That would have a big effect on the answer. The more remote areas are a little trickier than the larger tourist areas.
Everyone down there has a small calculator. If you want to pay in US then just tell them and they will convert. I have been seeing more and more things in the gift shops listed in US. Sometimes you will automatically get your change in colones and other times in U.S. There is no real hard and fast way of doing things down there. Don't expect it to be the same conversion amount everywhere. I usually ignore a few cents/colones here and there. The Pura Vida kicks in the minute I get off the plane and if there is only a dollar or two difference it is not worth it to me to fuss about it. The amount changes daily sometimes. The current value is in the lower 440's.
The ATM's are not always down. Lots of people use them when down there. I would have multiple options available. The general consensus is that travelers checks are the least popular with hotels etc because of the hassle and extra charge for them to cash them. There has even been a change recently, from what I hear by someone in the tourism business, on how credit cards are handled by the hotels which is making hotels have to work a bit harder for their money. We use a lot fewer colones than we do US.

atm are pretty much in every town keep in mind which I found out the hard way is all atm/cash machines in costa rica only will take a card with a 4 number pin im from NYC and all of our card now have 6 number pin now. you can have your bank give you a temp if you have 6 other wise its not a problem . also everyone we dealt with took both dollars and colones but get a better rate at the atm
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:11 PM

From this site I had learned that "PLUS" ATM was more available than CIRRUS. Since we were not renting a car and couldn't get to a lot of banks, I opened a quick ck. acct. before we left to get PLUS card. I was sooo glad, as 90% of the time my CIRRUS didn't work. I brought some travelers cks., but only a few took them and I ended up cashing them in MA for dollars. I brought a print-out I made before we left with exchange rate cheat sheet/currency converter. I used it all the time, although folks do have calculators as well. Web site is www.oanda.com. You can do dollars to colones and vice/versa. We used VISA and cash most of the time. Joyce
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

I feel so much better. thank goodness for this travel board. we're just traveling to MA so it sounds like dollars and visa would be fine without worrying about finding an atm or bank. has anyone had trouble with their postal system? (ie. receiving postcards back in the U.S.?)
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 02:38 PM

I think that it all depends; a couple of the places we stayed at requested that we only use traveler's checks, and we were often glad to have some colognes in hand, especially in the more remote areas, as Jessie mentioned. Examples: to pay the bathroom attendant {an expression I use loosely!} on the way to Tortuguero, to pay off two little boys who "hijacked" our luggage upon our return to Rio Sierpe from the Drake Bay area, paying for our meal at a soda in San Jose etc. If you're staying at resorty areas you'll probably be o.k. with dollars and a charge card.

For some reason, we ended up paying more in colognes from the ATM than if we had payed in American dollars, with fees tacked on. Once, I inadvertantly hit a wrong button, and the machine either tacked it on to another account with few dollars in it, incurring a transfer fee, or made it a Visa charge, I can't easily figure it out, and for $20 or so difference, I'm not going to try! Never have this problem in the states.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM

If you are just going to MA, you will be fine starting out with dollars, VISA etc. MA has a good ATM right near the hotels/ Cafe Millagro. There is also a bank there and I used it and it was empty and people were kind and helpful. You will get change in colones and can use that for tipping (guides if nice, maids etc.) I also used colones to take the bus to the park in MA.; cheap and easy to use.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:55 PM

We just returned from CR in August. If you need to use an ATM, there are several in Quepos and one on the road between Quepos & Manuel Antonio. There is a sign telling you the ATM is a mile or so down the street. Very easy to find.

We used a combination of US Dollars in cash, ATM card, credit card & travelers checks. Most hotels will only cash travelers checks for $50 at a time.

There is an ATM at the airport, by the luggage carousel ((I think), if you need to get cash when you arrive.

It really is very easy. We didn't have any problems at all.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM

We were in CR August 16 to 26. For a family of four I brought $300.00 in cash and $300.00 in travelers checques as well as my ATM. I used the travelers checques only once, but was glad I had them; they were my best option at the time. As for ATMs I found after visiting about 10 different ATMs that my card always worked at the ATMs at private banks, but never at the national banks. Also, found colones useful at more remote locations and small sodas.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
lvk

Although most places we went (in MA, Jaco & Arenal) accept US$, I was told not to try anything larger than a $20. I never tested this.

WE have 5-digit ATM pins and were able to get cash in Quepos (the ATM on the 2nd floor - I believe it gave you the option of $ or colones) and at the Mas-X-Menos ATM in Jaco, which would give you colones only 60,000 maximum.

The bank ATM we tried in Jaco didn't seem to work for us. I have one card with a 4-digit pin and it didn't work there either.

The ATM at the airport accepted my 5-digit PIN and gave me $$ or colones.

I haven't gotten my bank statement yet, so I can't comment on any fees or the exchange rate.

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:45 AM

I believe the fee to which Molly2 referred was a cash advance fee as opposed to a standard ATM transaction fee. If the fee was excessive, this may be the case.
Trying to send back all the good mojo I've received from everyone here at Fodors.