Arenal after Bosque del Cabo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am so excited - we are headed back to Bosque del Cabo next year (went last year)! Yes, it is a year away, and I am already planning. For this trip to CR, I want to visit the Arenal area. Because we plan to hook up with other Fodorites we met at BdC last year, we are going there first for five nights. So I thought we should fly from Puerto Jimenez to La Fortuna to save some time. Should we fly back to San Jose? Or would it make more sense to drive back? We would probably only get 2 - 3 nights in the Arenal area. I haven't booked our flights yet, of course, so not sure how early we will fly back home.

Don't know yet if we would rent a car in La Fortuna. Can you rent one there, then drop off in San Jose at the airport?

Just thinking ahead. As you all know, once you know you are headed to CR, it is hard not to plan or think about anything else!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Hi Janenicole,
We went to Arenal after Bdc last March and it was a nice way to wind up our time in CR.
I'd suggest you fly back to SJO, then rent a car and drive up to Arenal (La Fortuna), about 2.5 hours. It is always nice to have a car in that area as it is very strung out.
Try for 3 nights there if you can. That's a MUCH better alternative (for that area especially) than 2.

Good luck! When will you be at BdC?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi shillmac!
We will be at BcC on March 7th for 5 nights. If any other Fodorites can join us, that would be awesome!

My husband did not like the idea of driving up to Arenal from San Jose. And I really want to go there. So, since we have to fly back from PJ anyway, figured we might as well fly directly to Arenal. So, once we are there, I am trying to figure out the best way to get back to San Jose. Any recommendations on car rental companies in La Fortuna? I can check with them about return locations.

I am assuming if we flew back to San Jose from La Fortuna, we would still need be at SJO three hours before our flight to the US? Anyone know the cost to hire a driver for the trip from Arenal to San Jose?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Hi, janie - we paid $120 to go from SJO to Arenal, so I would think the cost would be similar to that. We just hired a private driver through our hotel, and that option worked for us.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:58 AM

We haven't been to Costa Rica yet, but are planning to do the same flight/car rental you are considering.

I know that Alamo rents in LaFortuna with a dropoff at SJO. You can go to alamocostarica.com to see the pickup/dropoff locations and also obtain a quote.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! It is so great to be back on this forum again! I am sure I will have more questions that come up once I get our flights squared away. Even though it is a year away, I am already so pumped! My husband thinks I'm crazy!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM

It's a good kind of crazy, though, right?
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Exactly!!!