Arenal and Osa Peninsula

Old May 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal and Osa Peninsula

There are 5 of us (possibly 6) arriving in San Jose on Dec. 27th at 4:30 pm. We have reserved a SUV. We would like to go to Arenal and Oso Peninsula. We leave on Jan. 3rd at 8 am. How would ya'll recommend that we split up these two areas. Thanks. Becky
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM

You'll have to spend 1st and last near SJO because of flight times. I would probably pick Arenal OR Osa, not both, with only 5 nights. However, if you are set on both I'd either pick up your rental car or have it delivered to your hotel the night you arrive. 1st night near SJO. Head up to Arenal early and spend 2 nights. Drop off your rental car in Arenal and fly to Osa (plane change in San Jose). Driving will take up way too much time. Spend 3 nights Osa and take afternoon flight back to San Jose. Last night near SJO.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:24 PM

Is there any way you can change your flight times? If you got in early the first day and left late the last day, it would give you so much more time. It's a shame to spend that much time in SJO when your time is limited. There's so much to do in Arenal; we usually stay there 3 or 4 nights. You don't need a car in the Osa, so check flight on Nature Air and Sansa to get down there. Are you looking at staying at Bosque del Cabo?
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

I have heard of Bosque del Cabo, but we have not decided where to stay. We are looking at places near Arenal, and have sent off many email inquiries, but have only heard back from one, with the wrong information.
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM

We always stay at the Lost Iguana in Arenal; it's a great property with nice volcano views. I don't know what your budget is. Silencio del Campo gets really good reviews if you want something a little more affordable.
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM

Returned from Bosque a few weeks ago. Lovely setting, incredible wildlife, best food of the trip. Two tips though.....they don't mention the cost of the nature walks on the grounds.....you find out when you settle your final bill! Second, make sure you keep all of your belonging secured in the closets of the rooms. When we were there, many of the rooms were raided by marauding coatis. Only defense was to keep the room shut tight with all of our possessions secured in closets.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM

Arenal is a great area and definitely a lot to see an do there. Agree that Silencio del Campo is a really wonderful place, on the smaller side and locally owned by friendly family, also hot springs on site.

In Bosque del Cabo's defence regarding the cost of nature tours, the books that are in the cabinas give full details of pricing for guided hikes as well as include the map of trails you can hike on your own. Agree about the food, setting and wildlife though, heading there later this month and can't wait!
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM

...that would be "defense" not "defence". LOL!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:41 AM

Hi,
I agree you should pick one or the other. They are just too far apart. If you want to have a volcano experience, I would also recommend a morning trip to Poas and then head to the Osa. Even from San Jose, driving to the Osa is a good 7-8 hours. Did you guys consider flying there?

Where did you contact in Arenal. Iguana is gorgeous. but you can also consider some on the other side by La Fortuna with Hot Springs. This is just one of the best experiences ever

Hope this helps,
Marina K. Villatoro
http://travelexperta.com
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:41 AM

Another option would be to combine Arenal with two nights at the Peace Lodge - it's a gorgeous property with 5 waterfalls you can hike to; it's only about an hour from SJO. Poas is close by.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. We have decided that Osa is too far, and are going to Arenal and Manuel Antonio. We think we have accomodations at Silencio del Campo, and DiDi's Delightful Bed and Breakfast. I've read great reports about Silencio. Does anyone know about DiDi's.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:47 AM

I've read that it's sort of a no frills place but pleasant enough. I remember someone saying that there's some road noise due to its proximity to the road. Check out www.tripadvisor.com for reviews. I think you'll really enjoy Silencio del Campo.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:07 AM

We drove Didi's and it looked like a nice enough place. It is close to the road but couldn't tell you if the rooms are facing the road or the garden. El Silencio is wonderful, we really enjoyed it there.