Apartments in Rio...Safe?

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Johnny

Apartments in Rio...Safe?

Three single men traveling to Brazil in two weeks. Will it be advantageous to stay in an apartment or a hotel? The major concern is obviously being able to entertain guests when necessary. Are the apartments safe against thievery? What hotels can you suggest that are four/five star that are not strict with their visitors policy? Any response will be helpful.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:01 AM
CariocaRio

Johnny, good question sounds like you have done your homework, yes you don't want to be stuck in a 5 star hotel especially prepaid in the states that won't let you bring your guest's in when wanted. First of all 3 single men, you will have a great time but if you all stay in the same room no hotel will let you bring guests in, so you need to all get your own room. An apartment would be your best bet for all 3 of you to stay in the same place but the security would be a little less, most apartments don't have safes in the rooms, so you will have to hide your valuables. For an apartmrnt email Vanna at [email protected]. Or Bobby at website www.blameitonrio4travel.com for hotels or apartments. 2 hotels in the thick of things with no problems:

Luxor Regente
4 star
$100 standard

Hotel Debret
3 star
$55 for standard best value in Copacabana, great hotel liberal visitor policy and 1 block from HELP.
www.debret.com

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:53 AM
johnny

Would you recommend the Luxor? Secondly, is there anyway to avoid the prepaid hotel scenario, as mentioned before, but still take advantage of the discount rates?

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:32 AM
CariocaRio

The Luxor Regente is a very nice hotel, newly renovated, in a perfect spot on Copacabana, I have stayed there several times. If you book with the right place you shouldn't have to prepay. Try the website I gave you www.blameitonrio4travel.com. He will book it for you and you don't have to prepay or give a deposit. They also have a website where you can book online, just do a find on Luxor Regente hotels, it will come up, you could book directly with them. More or less it is off season now so you don't have to worry about securing a room, there should be plenty available. Don't prepay and make that mistake because if for any reaon you want to change hotels in Rio you will not want to change if you are prepaid. I made that mistake once and I had to have 2 hotels going at once because the Rio Othon Palace would not allow guests in the room so I went to the Debret. If you have a problem go to that website and get the address of the American guy Bobby in Rio and go see him, he can set you up in an apartment or another hotel if you want, he will help you out.

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:56 AM
johnny

are you saying we will not have a problem having guests at the Luxor?

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:18 PM
CariocaRio

I have never had a problem at the Luxor Regente hotel with bringing guests into my room one at a time. They will ask your guests to leave their documents at the front desk during their stay and charge you $15 for each guest, this is standard. The last time I was there I checked into the Miramar Palace hotel which in the past allowed guests. To my surprise at 4 oclock in the morning I was informed that they changed their policy, I hadn't prepaid, so the next day I checked out of the Miramar and checked into the Debret which there is no problem. The Luxor Regente is a nicer hotel than the Debret but the Debret is not bad. I never had a problem at the Luxor Regente and I was told just last March 2002 that they still allow guests. As long as you and your friends are in seperate rooms and cause no trouble they will allow you those privlidges. Are you getting a good rate at the Luxor Regente?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:24 AM
julien

Do you know of any safe bars in Sao Paulo to meet ladies of the night, so to speak. And hotel-wise, is the guest policy the same at most Sao Paulo hotels, like those along the Alameda Santos?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:19 AM
shame

This thread has turned into a real shame. This sounds like pimping to me.