Anyone flown with Delta/Aeromexico ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My travel agent found a pretty cheap flight to Cancun (from Toronto) with Delta & Aeromexico ($750 CAD taxes included for 6 weeks in January). I haven't flown with either one of them, the only thing that has me concerned is that the connecting flights are pretty tight (1 hour) but she assures me that these are "legal connections put together by Delta. That means that as far as they are concerned it does give enough time between flights" and if there "is a missed connection because their plane was late then" then would put me on the next available flight at no cost.

Just wondering if anyone has flown with this combination and what their experience has been. I can't find cheaper airfare than this and would like to book it now ...with the price of fuel, one never knows what the prices will be jacked up to.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM
pat

where do you catch your connecting flight? That does make a big difference. Yes, they will put you on the next available flight at no charge, but you might have to wait around, and it might not be aeromexico. Since you are changing airlines, you will no doubt have to change terminals too. I have the same scenario, only I am changing from AA to Mexicana. If I miss that flight, it`s like a 4 hour wait to get on the next plane, which would be AA, not Mexicana. Just make sure your ticket is purchased as one and not as two separate tickets. Sounds like it will be all one ticket. Also make sure you stay in the secure area changing flights, so you don`t have to go through security again. My guess it you will be fine.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM
pat

Forgot to mention, I can get boarding passes in advance for the AA segment, but I have to get a boarding pass for Mexicana at the gate, since it is an international flight. Probably the same for you.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi Pat - the connecting city is Atlanta. I had her check to see if there are later flights, there are but they cost more. Delta is flying to Cancun that same day (2 hours later) so hopefully I won't have to wait around too long if I do miss the connect flight.

Last time I flew down south via the US, they made us get our luggage and go through customs even though I was just there for a 3 hour stopover!! I really hope that's not the case now.

BTW, I've flown Mexicana, they're a decent airline but I've never even heard of Aeromexico.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM
pat

Atlanta has that train in the basement. It is very fast! I worried about missing a flight too, but instead, I had time to go eat and still had left over time. I`d just book the flight and you will probably be fine, but if something happens, at least they will get you there the rest of the way. I flew Aeromexico, but years ago, and it was fine.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
pat

In my case, since I am flying a partner airline with AA, they will check my bag all the way through, even through they won`t give me a boarding pass until I get to the Mexicana gate. It`s proabably the same for you. You might check with Delta to be sure.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Aeromexico has been around for a long time. No better or worse than most anyone else. Same for Delta. They are a Skyteam partner with Delta, so you should have one ticket and check your bags all the way through.

The usual routine for flights from Canada is to go through customs in Toronto and not have to do it in Atlanta. I don't think your connection to Aeromexico should change that, but I've never flown that particular route so I can't be certain.

But coming back you will have to get your bags, go through customs in Atlanta, then recheck them - even if you're just transiting. That's one of our more archane procedures.

1 hr is tight but doable. You're likely to have to change terminals. (But maybe not since these are both international flights). DL's website should be able to tell you which terminals you arrive and leave from. It also has map of airport. As noted best way between terminals is the underground train.

If you miss your connection, DL will put you on next available flight (note: operative word is "available&quot regardless of whether that flight would've costs more).

Sounds like a pretty good fare to me.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
pat

Coming back, I, too, have to get off the plane in Dallas, get luggage and go through customs and immigration, then turn around, go through security and get back on the same plane. I have 1 1/2 hours and AA says that`s enough time. How much time do you have coming back?
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses. I also called Delta and they said they wouldn't book the flight if it wasn't possible. Anyways, I just booked the ticket this morning and I got it for $688 (taxes included)!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so supper excited, I was just happy to get something under $800!! I also added 2 days to my itinerary (so I'm now flying back on a Tuesday which is why the price is also cheaper) in case of snow storms, etc.

Funny, when I called Delta she asked if I wanted to book, I asked what the price is and she said it's the same as what you saw on the web...NOT. It was $400 more!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM

I have flown this combination of airlines a number of times. I have usually flown this specific combination when I'm coming from Mexico. I would fly Aeromexico from Mexico City to Atlanta, then Delta to DC. It's fine - no problem at all... and if you're flying through Atlanta, there are lots of options. There probably is through other hubs as well..... I've also flown Aeromexico within Mexico - never had any problems. I wouldn't worry about it....